Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: MTG RTD 2  (Read 5239 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: MTG RTD 2
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2009, 03:22:17 pm »

I summon my Crawler.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2009, 03:55:35 pm »

seems like dragnar has time till tomorrow to change his path of action. Staying on it might cause serious harm to him ... just saying ...
and: good night.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2009, 04:17:01 pm »

I updated my action.

On a side-note, how does mana burn work in this RTD, if at all?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2009, 02:17:59 am »

On a side-note, how does mana burn work in this RTD, if at all?
with the M10 update manaburn no longer exists.
see http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/42a  3b
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2009, 02:50:31 am »

Meh. Material for http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks

I'll keep any games I play to the old rules. Nomenclature I can deal with, but the features they labeled as "unintuitive" make it seem even CCGs are being affected by console-playing focus groups. I mean, combat damage stacks, unintuitive? Mana burn unintuitive? What, the concept that any mana left over once you're done casting smacks you in the face is that difficult to grasp? Yeah, it wasn't that important, but it was present, and was still a factor! Mulligans I can agree with, about the only sensible change they made. But the rest...  meh.

Also, one more reason I don't like mana burn being removed, is that I used to just self-terminate with mana burn when it was obvious I couldn't win. Surrendering takes all the fun out of losing.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 02:57:03 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Blood-Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2009, 05:33:46 am »

summon my thallid.
Einsam stehn die schwarzen Zinnen,
Trotzen aller Zeiten Wirren.
So auch ich, komm sei mein Zeug:
Blutend, aber ungebeugt!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2009, 10:58:48 am »

Summon some drudge skeletons and send 'em into the stream.
I summon my Crawler.
summon my thallid.
It is going to get very crowded in here...

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2009, 11:33:06 am »

Bleh, I understand/don't care about most of those changes, but the combat damage stack and mana burn? What was wrong with those? That simplifies the game, and removes several effective strategies. Also kills one of my favorite basilisk combos...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

theevilmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2009, 11:45:18 am »

while my soldiers search for a way out, look for intresting books
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:12:44 pm by theevilmonk »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2009, 12:56:42 pm »

Bleh, I understand/don't care about most of those changes, but the combat damage stack and mana burn? What was wrong with those? That simplifies the game, and removes several effective strategies. Also kills one of my favorite basilisk combos...

They kept a work around for creatures with deathtouch. Unless your playgroup is a bunch of dicks, they'll let you use the deathtouch blocking rules for all those other basilisks with the near-deathtouch killing abilitlies.

But let's not devolve this thread into a big ass argument, ok? This is an RTD, there's a place to bitch and moan about small changes, but that place is not here.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2009, 02:09:25 pm »

They kept a work around for creatures with deathtouch. Unless your playgroup is a bunch of dicks, they'll let you use the deathtouch blocking rules for all those other basilisks with the near-deathtouch killing abilitlies.

But let's not devolve this thread into a big ass argument, ok? This is an RTD, there's a place to bitch and moan about small changes, but that place is not here.
Oh yeah, I forgot basilisks now have deathtouch, the only ones I have are older than deathtouch.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2009, 11:58:03 am »

sorry, had sleep deprivation yesterday, stupid projects have to be done before the end of the week ...
Turn 2:

Summon some drudge skeletons and send 'em into the stream.
3, you walk towards the grate, and try summoning your skeletons, sure enough, they appear in the stream. The weight of their armour is the only thing keeping them not being swept away by the stream.They look up to you, waiting to receive an order.You order them to explore downstream.

Oops, I search the bookcases for anything useful.
5, since only the bookcase at the far end of the library seems to contain a decent amount of books you choose to go there. Most of the books seem to be rotten, as you are about to search elsewhere you notice a single book that has defied the humidity of the room. You read it's spine: Urza's guide to artifice Vol. 1. It's standing right next to some throughly rotten ones. You carefuly try to extract it out of it's unfortunate position, only pushing it further back. And further. Angrily you hit the other books, and sure enough they fall to the ground behind the bookcase. Your hands get a bit dirty, but that's an acceptable price to pay for such a treasure. You take your Book... wait, why did they fall to the ground behind a bookcase standing right next to a wall? You look through the hole you just created, and sure enough, there seems to be a passage.

I summon my Crawler.
5, Such an easy spell doesn't require any thinking at all for you. After you have summoned your crawler, you watch the others. dragnar seems to have spotted something behind that bookcase in the southern corner of the room, and the soldiers summoned by theevilmonkey seem rather occupied with thrashing the other bookcases, but even they seem to notice that dragnar has found something. sure enough they go over to him and try to move the bookcase.

summon my thallid.
2, You almost failed, but there it is. since you don't have any orders for it it will just follow you for now.

while my soldiers search for a way out, look for intresting books
3, one of the books Blood-Dwarf picked up seemed rather useful, you look for similar ones. There don't seem to be many useful ones left. You notice a blood red book laying at your feet. you pick it up, it is titled:"Smash stuff up, Vishino style"... a weird title, but still, there is magic in that book. You put it into your inventory. Watching your soldiers you notice them trying to lift a bookcase at the far end of the room. It seems too heavy for them.

Spoiler: SHADOWdump (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mr.People (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: theevilmonk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: dragnar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Blood-Dwarf (click to show/hide)

locations:
Spoiler: damp library (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: dark passage (click to show/hide)

... this is more work than i thought ...

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2009, 12:07:39 pm »

... this is more work than i thought ...
Never a good sign... :\

My crawler simply eats its way through the passage-bookcase while I do some book scrounging of my own. I give the crawler a speed boost while I'm at it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 12:10:09 pm by SHAD0Wdump »

theevilmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2009, 06:32:04 pm »

give my book to shadowdump, as it clearly seems more his style and continue searhing for books,

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2009, 06:34:13 pm »

Read the guide to artifice, the secret passage isn't going anywhere.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4