Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Screampacks. Dwarves repelled, once again. Only 4 cats lost!  (Read 27529 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Screampacks. Things go a lot faster with 25 cats.
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2010, 06:13:14 pm »

Gotcha. There's no sedentary positions unfilled by my own avatar at the moment, so cannon fodder it is. Architect, Top Cat is an "Elf Taunter," i.e., woodcutter.

On an unrelated note, gender ratio is 11 M to 14 F.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2010, 06:48:14 pm »

w00t 100 replies! You guys rock.

Frogwarrior's Notes:
Torture finally finished his construction earlier today. I've never seen him so happy! And the thing he made is pretty neat; it's a leg armor decorated with an image of our settling here. All that in just turtle shell. Weird, I guess this place is really important to him or something.
I tried to figure out why he was so excited, but all I got was that he expected this thing to somehow help increase the bone supply? I don't know. Clearly he's touched by the gods, though. Such an amazing achievement as that, and he's a bit bonkers to boot.

But he's got his head in the right place. First thing he did after he emerged, and the subsequent questioning, was stare in awe at the pile of elf bones. Then he locked himself in his workshop. Said he needed a lack of distractions to truly give this medium the love and attention it deserved. I figure a guy who can make something great out of a pile of elf bones can't be all bad.

On the minus side, I have to put up with a lot of stupid digging. But I found some shiny-looking rocks today. I dunno what they are, but they look neat. Maybe I'll just keep this to myself.

End Notes

OddProphet's Musings
Well, here I am in Screampacks. It's about like I expected, unsurprisingly. I signed right up for the military when that Bengali was looking for recruits. Right now, the only other fresh recruit is a chap by the name of Overcat. Says he wants to learn to kill his own food, or something. Weird, but I can manage. The uniform's pretty great, though. I really like the helmet and leg armor. Got character to it.

End Musings
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2010, 06:53:49 pm »

cool story bro

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2010, 08:32:21 pm »

Amalgam and 100killer9 charged at the foolish kobold. With all the skill of a season warrior, Amalgam leapt straight for its throat, yanking away a jagged flap of flesh. The pair set about the hapless creature, mauling it until its death throes subsided in a pool of red mud.

"Second time this week," said Overcat to OddProphet, as the recruits watched from a distance. "One of them walked right into their patrol line just outside the inn."
"Wow," said OddProphet, watching the spectacle in awe. "Are we ever gonna be that good?"
"Only if we practice," said Overcat. "Ya don't get to be a master chef by wantin' it! So let's head right on back to the inn and practice."
"Sure," said OddProphet, and inwardly wished the day would soon come when she, too, could taste the fresh blood of a kill on her lips.

They practiced in a near-frenzy, tearing at each other as if their will to train had been discovered anew. Tired, they retreated back towards their quarters for a well-earned rest.

Such was not to be. A cry came from the heart of the town, "Stop, thief!"
The recruits dashed towards the cry, meeting a rattled woodcrafter who pointed to the northeast. "Kobold," he gasped. "He's got Obeyedpass!"
"The artifact?" Overcat asked, agape. "Where's the soldiers?"
"I saw 100killer9 heading into her quarters a minute ago," answered OddProphet. "And Amalgam's patrolling down south, by the wall. There's no way he can get there in time!"
"You mean..." said Overcat, as they broke into a run. "He's got the most valuable thing at Screampacks, and we're the only ones who can stop him?"
They quickly caught the trail of the intruder, and let their war cry lead them towards their prey. But he was already far ahead...

The kobold had nearly reached the line that marked the edge of Screampacks. Woodcutters were at work busily clearing away the area that would become the eastern wall.
Top Cat was interrupted in her work by a shout of "Thief! Catch him!"
Spinning around from the tree she was working on, she saw a grotesque creature running towards her, a bundle slung over its shoulder. Struck with an overwhelming sense of civic duty, she dashed towards the kobold and leapt at it full-force, hatchet leading the way. She collided and bounced back harmlessly, but was right on the thing's heels. Her next stroke was luckier; the thing yelped as the hatchet bit into its arm, and its bundle fell onto the ground.
Top Cat leapt again, colliding into its back. Winded, she lay there gasping, as Overcat and OddProphet ran by in hot pursuit.

"He dropped the artifact," said Overcat, as they passed the prone woodcutter.
"Do we let him go?" asked OddProphet in between breaths.
"Of course not," said Overcat.
Putting on a burst of sudden speed, they accelerated and pounced on their quarry. He shrieked as claws and teeth dug into his flesh. He didn't stop for a long while, not until Overcat tore out his heart in her jaws.

Pic spoilered for bigness
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OddProphet had got her wish - if wish was all it was. And yet, this wish only lead to more. She was certainly glad she signed up to the military...

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Screampacks. Kobold grabbed the artifact! And then got et.
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2010, 08:53:14 pm »

Excellent. Good job of taking down that kobold.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2010, 10:26:02 pm »

Well, thanks for the prompt inclusion! I am proud to have done my part for Screampacks!

Don't worry about giving me special treatment; I'll be reading and participating even my avatar fares poorly. I really enjoy a story when the named/real characters suffer indiscriminate fates. In fact, it bothers me when characters are invulnerable in a story.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2010, 10:44:33 pm »

Thanks, Ched!

And don't worry, Architect, there will be plenty of death. Especially among the military caste. Especially when the elves attack, most likely, what with the ambushing and the bow-having. Well, and the dwarves, with the steel armor and weapons. And the goblins, with the frequent attacks. And the humans, with the superior size.

Basically, we're all screwed. In fact, if people re-cat enough, I plan to add awards for dying lots of times. ;D

Also, I didn't even plan that kobold theft update in the slightest - I knew there were a total of four kobolds around, but when that one got revealed, I slowly realized that the champions were unavailable, the recruits available, and the artifact stolen. And when the guy started running northeast, I didn't realize I had such a perfect individual to catch him until I saw "Top Cat cancels Fell Tree: Interrupted by Kobold Thief." It just... fell into place. Beautiful.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 10:49:47 pm by Frogwarrior »

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2010, 12:28:20 am »

Woo! I kill puny kobold! With teeth!
Caveman Rantings aside, though. I was included!  And I killed something!
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2010, 03:03:37 am »

Interesting...a picture of the artifact would be much appreciated...Legendary Bonecarver, right?

...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2010, 04:01:03 am »

Happy to oblige!

And yes, legendary bonecarver. He's freaking loving it, cranking out quality bone items nonstop. Bone armor, bone crafts, bone darts, you name it, he makes it like a bonecarving beast.

Anyway. Enough about bones.

Frogwarrior's Notes
Well, that shiny rock turned out to be copper. One earful and several cartloads later, that Ironfang chap was chugging away making copper bars. Weird to see someone besides Bengali doing that. Though Bengali himself handles the smithing; he upgraded those two recruits from leather to full copper plate armor. Torture was more than happy to make a couple suits of plate leggings. I think he really enjoys the war effort.
End Notes

Natalie's Diary
I hate being bedridden. I can't do anything! Just have to eke by on news that everyone brings me.
So many unfamiliar faces, it's hard to keep track. But all the faces that came by recently were a little more somber. Turns out Screampacks had its first tragedy. Hrraspmurrren, the cat who volunteered to take over the archery and hunting duties while I'm incapacitated, suffered a hunting accident today. With a wolf.

Amalgam and 100killer9 responded by tearing the beast, which they named Furwilted, in half, then promptly declaring war on the rest of the wolf pack and even a bunch of raccoons that wandered in at the wrong moment. I was glad to hear it; after my father was killed by wolves I'm happy to see them die no matter who does the job.
End Diary Entry

And as Autumn drew nigh, Bengali stepped up the plans for defense. Seven new cats were added to the military, bringing the total to 11. They were truly doing their best to prepare for the worst. The wall lay only half-completed around the town, and they knew if the dwarves attacked they would have naught to rely on but wit and cunning...

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2010, 05:03:32 am »

"Puss has mandated the construction of certain goods"

Ok, so let's look into this. {n}, down to Puss...
Mandate

1 pair leather boots
1 cave spider silk robe (black)
1 steel rapier
The sigs topic:

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2010, 12:11:24 am »

Some thoughts of Torture:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2010, 04:21:49 pm »

Basically, we're all screwed. In fact, if people re-cat enough, I plan to add awards for dying lots of times. ;D

Been enjoying this, and I've had some fun with the catsplosion mod as well.

It occurs to me, that if you're going to re-cat when they die, you could do it this way: Cats have nine lives, right? Thus, after every cat's nick-name, add "(9)", which is the number of lives they currently have. When they die, name the new cat "Nickname (8)" and so on until you hit zero, at which point they don't get a cat anymore. Bonus points if you fill an entire 3x3 tomb with each of their past lives.  ;D

Keep it up!

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2010, 05:30:07 pm »

That's a hilarious idea. I probably won't do it exactly like that in this, with the restrictive life limit - but dying nine times will definitely be one of the awards. Leave it to me to completely forget about cat lore like that!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2010, 06:06:02 pm »

Did no one get my Puss in Boots joke?
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16