Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Screampacks. Dwarves repelled, once again. Only 4 cats lost!  (Read 27527 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

Heh. All right.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Screampacks. 29 elves for 1 cat and a couple animals. Good trade! Also, migr
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2010, 04:15:46 pm »

Would you be OK if I tried to characterize 100killer9 with journals? I don't want to mess up any plans you had with the character if you had any, and I'm not a great writer, but I'd like to if it's ok.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure, go for it. I only request that you put it in spoiler tags.
Torture's forum persona has done the same, so there's precedent.

Summer passed without significant incident. Frogwarrior is getting used to actually being in charge now that Bengali's gone, though he still grudgingly does the digging. Crow and Lapchase have suffered mild spinal injuries, so they now spend most of their time socializing with the off-duty cats.
Beyond that, one cat is taking over Bengali's duties in the leather department, and the married peasant has done some armorsmithing. Tip Top Cat has all the buildings for a glass industry up and running, so the furniture in the noble rooms will probably be entirely clear glass. Fancy!

Talking of which, it's probably about time to start constructing the noble quarters. We have some stone blocks ready, so the sheriff's office and quarters will be up in relatively short order.

The new Screampacks military was put to a mild test, as the goblins decided to send another ambush - worked like a charm. No civilian draftees needed, no casualties.

Also, Natalie finally reached a high enough skill level to be worthy of an upgrade in the armor department...

A total of ten new houses were constructed, so there should be well enough to keep every cat firmly ensconced. Next up, it's time to work on the slums, and the palace.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile

What's natalie's skills? oh, and is that a artifact? wow!
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

Can I grind stone blocks if there's no other work for me?

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Natalie is a legendary markscat. Racked up a decent kill count, as markscats tend to in this mod (when they have crazy amounts of ammo, of course).

Cheddarius is currently still resting a broken leg, but when he gets back on his feet he will in fact be grinding stone blocks. And possibly assembling them. Currently I have another mason filling in.
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

Ah, I see.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, Crow got a spinal injury already? How'd that happen?
Hopefully he'll still be useful as a markscat.  :-\

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile

brown spinal injuries only prevent sparing, not shooting.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1-6 gore damage does a lot for sparring injuries...
Actually, I think only two cats are left without spinal injuries. Well, besides Amalgam, who won't be sparring anymore, and one of the wrestlers who still has a mangled leg.

OddProphet, though, is Elite. He really earned that copper plate, that's for sure.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile

Hey, hope you have disabled the economy so that you can continue to dictate who lives in the slums and elsewhere.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

BAHAHAHA! Not in the slightest. No, this will be determined the old-fashioned way - pure, malicious competition.

That, and you always have the option of kicking any cat out of any bedroom. So if I want Mr. Richy Rich to be in an expensive hut, I can just kick him out of his hovel and some poor cat out of the house and wait for them to figure it out.

I also will assign a Sheriff and try - try - to fulfill mandates. If I wanted an easy game, I wouldn't be playing Cat Splosion. ;D

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Frogwarrior's Notes
This Autumn we started construction on the palace. The first wing will be the sheriff's quarters, after which I'll select a sheriff. Imagine that! I get to choose something important!

In other news, that mason of ours was inspired and built a marvelous floodgate. Perhaps we'll find some use for it someday, but for now, Violent Roots will have to moulder. It's made of andesite with spikes thereof, and some nice turtle shell decorations. Plain and simple, masterfully crafted.
That mason appears to have learned from his experience, and is cranking out smoothly-carved blocks like a machine. Good for him, we'll have the palace up in no time.

----------

Winter's here, and the first wing of the palace is completed! I celebrated by appointing a sheriff. A fellow by the name of 'Crow' tried his hand at being a warrior, but was injured in rather unfortunately short order. But he's an honest, dependable sort with a knack for justice (came all the way out here to avenge his brother!) so I figured he'd be perfect for the job. We're starting on a jail to occupy two floors above the inn as well.

In other news, Linda is up and around, finally! She's gotten right back to work and is now helping keep our food supplies rather constant; they'd been dropping a little (though we still have a decent buffer) but now they're going back up with one more cat on the job.

Also, a woodcutter was inspired and made a pine hatch cover. It's currently on the stairs from the dining room to the food storage. Does wonders for the atmosphere.
End Notes
----------

Early winter once again brought traders to Screampacks. Frogwarrior was in excellent spirits as he went to meet with the liason, Mreoiksa Sabreprice. Sadly, this was short-lived.
"Don't you look chipper," said the liason, as Frogwarrior sat down. "Well, I expect you shall be expecting the usual. Metal, leather, and... all the dogs we can carry, hm?" He smirked nastily.
Frogwarrior barely kept himself from an outright grin. "Actually... you can stop at the metal and leather. We won't be needing any more dogs."
"Really," asked the liason. "Pray tell what brought on this change of heart?"
"Well, it was never me that wanted them," said Frogwarrior. "It was..."
"Bengali, yes, I know. And now you see fit to defy his wishes?"
Frogwarrior stood a moment in confusion. This conversation was not turning out as he had expected.
Mreoiksa brought out a document, proffered it. "Read this."
Frogwarrior did, in indignation. "What is this? It's..."
"It's an agreement that the town of Screampacks will buy as many dogs as we supply, every year, until a date yet to be determined."
"Wha... By whose authority? Why should I even follow this nonsense?" Frogwarrior sputtered.
"I'm afraid that is a state secret. When the time comes... you will be told as much as you are allowed to know. For now... I'm sure the traders will be glad to hear your offers for these quality dogs..." Again the mean smirk.

And elsewhere, one of the citizens rested with a little light reading. He was so glad he was able to grab those pages from Bengali's room before Natalie moved in. No telling what would have happened if that Frogwarrior chump caught wind of the plan. Not that he'd be able to stop it without dooming himself at this point. No, the only thing anyone here could do to avoid the plan would be to move. Far.

Until the Council sent their agent to aid the plan, though, there was naught to do but wait and work on his armoring skills. And, of course, as the only married tom in the village, he had other important duties as well. And getting acquainted with the other citizens a must... if he could steal an election to the position of Mayor, he could go far in helping the plan...

OH WAIT WHAT ANOTHER MAP

Yes, I finished another year. Not a lot of drama this time; just good old-fashioned building stuff. This should change, though, once I get more citizens to throw into the military, and once sieges start coming more regularly.

I completed the tunnel system, incidentally. Should be handy if they ever get inside the town, for minimizing casualties. Next up: Mayor's room, then dungeon master's. Man, I can't wait until I get a dungeon master. Should only be another year...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Would you post the info screen and current status of the unnamed markscat who got eleven kills way back in the dwarf siege please? Just curious about her.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:25:21 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ask and ye shall receive!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cheddarius' Notes, 1 Granite
Finally, I feel well enough to get back to work! It's been long enough.
And, there's a lot of work for me to do. Frogwarrior is ordering work to begin on the second wing of the palace, which will be the mayor's quarters. Lots of stone to grind!
End Notes

Notes of Amalgam, Screampacks Military Commander
As always, we sealed off all but one gate and waited in case invaders decided to pay a visit. In short order, we were greeted by the pathetic yelps of the watch-puppies at the west and east gates, as they were struck down by goblin ambushes...

with elven squad leaders? What the hell?

As if we didn't have enough problems without the goblins and elves working together!
Of course, it was nothing our military might couldn't handle. We deployed the entire Screampacks military to attack the western threat first, and it was cleaned up in short order.

100killer9 and I headed back before that skirmish was over to see the other side of the field, and got to the entrance before the east-side threat did. We engaged, and waited until the other warriors caught up. They were all led by one Lapchase who arrived well before the press of the others. He did a great job leading the charge. Got a second goblin kill to his name.

No sign of any more concerted elven attacks as of yet. Claws crossed. We're hoping that with Bengali gone, they have no more reason to bother us. If they know; he was killed by dwarves after all. But it'd be funny if one problem solved another.

Of course, the dwarves have been quiet since their attack, too, so that's a boon.
End Notes

Frogwarrior's Log, Midspring
My quarters are finally up! Now I just have to assume the position of mayor, and relax in luxury.
Construction was momentarily halted earlier when the mason, Cheddarius, stopped grinding blocks and started running around gathering random junk. Tried to talk to him, but he wouldn't even acknowledge my existence. Touched by the gods, I assumed, and was proven right when he emerged with no memory of the experience, naught to show but the finest piece of furniture I've ever seen.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is so going in my room. When it's mine, I mean.
End Log

And another stream of migrants arrived.

Naish Clouthonored, Fish Cleaner (M)
Rriita Breakweathered, Miner (M) - Will probably mine
Hseaffie Erasedspike, Jeweler (F) - Will cut gems
Hsyailwia Climateflays, Peasant (F) - Pet donkey
Hsieoro Furyclub, Furnace Operator (F)
Mrotrri Spineclefts, Miller (M)
Roockleoao Lashedsculpts, Engraver (F) - Pet horse and donkey
Xxiix Impaledlines, Stonecrafter (M) - Will stonecraft, some
Married to Mrhsaoyneo Searedverse, Peasant (F) - Will splode
Yaoora Slaughterscircles, Jeweler (M) - Will encrust gems
Hsietkeoi Confusedsling, Weaver (M)
Loek Strikeice, Markscat (F)
Rrrraowrkeoa Whimdrills, Blacksmith (F)
Rrrowr Whipcurious, Weaver (M)
Mryay Rakestrength, Clothier (M)
Kiaswio Womenfist, Miner (M) - Will probably mine
Mriana Shredtrusted, Stoneworker (M)
As always, unless I specifically say someone will be continuing their profession - they probably won't. Probably. Unless I suddenly find a use for that profession. Heck, I might not even use both jewelers, since I haven't found jack-all for gems yet.

Frogwarrior assumed the position of Mayor and immediately moved in; the epic markscat took his former quarters in the apartment complex. Time to get down to business!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:02:29 pm by Frogwarrior »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16