Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #5: Feedback  (Read 45263 times)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #5: Feedback
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2009, 08:29:06 am »

Toady wasn't off topic so to speak. It is just that the topic ended up being much more vague then what was first expected.

So instead of getting a lot of information on what could affect the random generation of civilisations we got a lot of information of the implications of that generation.

Yes, this is what I meant.  :)
I really enjoy whatever they talk about though, the Scamps attack and washing machine story were great.

Aquazzar

Hehe, I'll read it this way from now on   ;)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2009, 03:19:27 pm »

I listened to podcast #4 and #5, So I can't remember exactly which one this was in, but...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2009, 03:20:55 pm »

I listened to podcast #4 and #5, So I can't remember exactly which one this was in, but...

He mentioned that in DF Talk 4, yes:

Quote from: DF Talk 4 transcript
But it's going to happen - we're going to do the three things I always talk about: adventure skills, improved sieges and the top ten voting.

And in other places:

After this release, the next series of shorter releases will be made up of, in no set order:
1) Improved sieges against your fortress
2) Adventurer skills/entity stuff, per the dev next stuff
3) Eternal suggestions voting stuff

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2009, 04:03:32 pm »

He mentioned that in DF Talk 4, yes:

Quote from: DF Talk 4 transcript
But it's going to happen - we're going to do the three things I always talk about: adventure skills, improved sieges and the top ten voting.

And in other places:

After this release, the next series of shorter releases will be made up of, in no set order:
1) Improved sieges against your fortress
2) Adventurer skills/entity stuff, per the dev next stuff
3) Eternal suggestions voting stuff

Ah yes, Top Ten was the third.

I sure am looking forward to Adventure skills/entity creation. If any of you have ever played Suikoden II, you'll know what I mean when I mention the Mercenary Fortress at the start... I want to do something asorts to that. (:
Going around the world, recruiting people from towns, and able to activate them into your "squad" or leave them  at the self-built behind to rest - that is the perfect Adventure Mode.
But then comes the question, can you order your people to help with building a construction? And then, does it become a RPG-Fortress mode? Ha...
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2009, 05:06:09 pm »

Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2009, 05:20:29 pm »

Zwei is a semi-major character in Suikoden V, a historian...
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Eruonen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2009, 06:10:36 pm »

I enjoyed listening to it, but I did not like the little sound effects you used during one of Toady's stories. I like the dwarf talking at the end (though it is not at all how I imagine dwarfs to talk, but who cares about that), I just didn't like it in the middle of a segment.

Keep up the good work, though!

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2009, 06:59:22 pm »

I enjoyed listening to it, but I did not like the little sound effects you used during one of Toady's stories. I like the dwarf talking at the end (though it is not at all how I imagine dwarfs to talk, but who cares about that), I just didn't like it in the middle of a segment.

Keep up the good work, though!

This is actually the kind of editing I really love, so I'm actually planning on doing more, if the opportunity arises.  DF lends itself for telling stories about your fortress, and I want to emphasize that point, to actually bring it to life.  This game is about ***imagination***!  Sorry that you didn't like it though.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2009, 08:11:30 pm »

DF lends itself for telling stories about your fortress, and I want to emphasize that point, to actually bring it to life. 

I'm all for that, but doing it while Toady's talking is problematic.  It makes it harder to follow what he's saying.  Doesn't work as well as in Mystery Science Theater, I'm afraid.

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2009, 08:29:41 pm »

Thanks for the show guys, happy banana that you picked up on me comment hehe.

Rainseeker, I enjoyed the liason part, but missed some of it due to Toady's voice, so possible add it after that particular section or ask Toady to do an "art pause", where you can stick it in. No idea if that makes it better tho, so go with what you find best.

Eruonen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2009, 04:00:37 am »

DF lends itself for telling stories about your fortress, and I want to emphasize that point, to actually bring it to life.

I'm all for that, but doing it while Toady's talking is problematic.  It makes it harder to follow what he's saying.  Doesn't work as well as in Mystery Science Theater, I'm afraid.
My point exactly. Like I said, I liked it at the end, and I would not mind it being in between segments, but it was very annoying to hear the sounds while people were talking. It is distracting.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2009, 10:26:55 am »

It worked in Mystery Space Theature mostly because it didn't matter if you heard the movie properly or not.

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2009, 01:54:46 pm »

Yea, maybe you're right Neonivek.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2009, 01:00:01 am »

Dwarf hotpants cutscenes!

Making the noises on the spot as Toady talks is great. You just need to coordinate so Toady isn't cut off with "I like cheese" or "Is that a microcline statue I spy".
Really quiet background noises like footsteps or birds chirping might be fine, its hard to say.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2009, 01:18:30 am »

I put a lot of love into that small segment, so needless to say its discouraging that nobody liked it. :(
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6