Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #5: Feedback  (Read 45252 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #5: Feedback
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 05:25:12 pm »

Maybe other professions could do the tattooing and barbering in their off time, so that they'd be reasonably skilled from their regular jobs.  Like, engravers could do tattoos and weavers could do beardcare.  I look forward to having a fort full of <<Dwarves>>.

The solution in my mind is to loosen the requirements of a Fortress and allow things that are luxuries to be either selectable by the player or to be handled by the surrounding country side and/or merchants.

So if a Dwarf Wants a Tatoo and no one in the fort can give them one, maybe on their visit to town they can get one.

Similar things could happen with Academics. You don't have to create a college inside your fortress unless you want to.

In the same way you don't need 10 guild headquarters inside your fortress.

If you do however they would come with some benefits.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 05:53:29 pm by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 05:25:45 pm »

Just a quick note to confirm that transcript is on the way, but due to real life commitments will not be out in the next couple of days.

No prob man :)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 06:08:22 pm »

To Rainseeker: I'm curious as to the music you used just before the Q&A segment. For some reason it strikes me as exceedingly familiar.

I used it in a previous DF Talk. :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 06:15:41 pm by Rainseeker »
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 06:16:20 pm »

Well what IS it?  I checked all the other feedback threads and couldn't find any mention of it.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 06:58:06 pm »

Wow, I'm impressed to hear that what you guys had to say about how cultures and people's behavior will work within the future, it seems you got this planned out real well Toady.

Also thanks for answering my question about symbiotic relationships, it's put my mind at ease now that I know it's an idea of consideration.

Finally, for Capntastic, a little birdy who watched the podcast wanted me to send this message to you.

"You still sound like Strong Sad. :P"

That is all.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 07:00:21 pm by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 07:04:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 07:19:26 pm »

Challenge thread up!

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 07:20:08 pm »

To Rainseeker: I'm curious as to the music you used just before the Q&A segment. For some reason it strikes me as exceedingly familiar.

I mean that it seems like I've heard it in some old FMV game or something like that.
!!&!!

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 07:29:06 pm »

I mean that it seems like I've heard it in some old FMV game or something like that.

Okay, I tracked down the info.  I got the music off a royalty-free music and sound effect site for Flash, I think it's http://www.flash-sounds.com/ but I can't be sure because I don't remember and I'm a bit lazy right now. 

The artist is Adam Goh, and the song is called "Temple."

I liked it because it reminded me of epic RPG video game music.  I don't really know anything about the song other than that.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 07:33:44 pm »

Ahh. Generic atmospheric music. Yeah, old FMV games were full of that sort of thing. It's genericness is probably tied to it's familiarity.
!!&!!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 09:26:32 pm »

Finally, for Capntastic, a little birdy who watched the podcast wanted me to send this message to you.

Tell him he can choke on his beard.

Also, for everyone else; using 'sounds unprofessional' and similar phrases as blanket 'i don't like this' terms is not really constructive criticism.  Obviously every discussion isn't going to appeal to everyone and not every sidetrack to talk about tree bark sculptures is going to relate to DF.  But bear in mind that while we're striving for quality, and perhaps even Beyond Quality, we are not paid for this we are doing it in our free time and it's supposed to be a fun thing to do not a job.

I welcome criticism, honestly and truly.   But that doesn't mean you should go out of your way to come up with things you don't like.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 02:31:15 am »

I'm glad to hear that there's been some thought given to multi-racial civs.

For obvious reasons, I am very interested in this!

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2009, 03:28:03 am »

This episode of DF talk was very interresting (just like all the others) to hear about all the stuff thats planned.  :)

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2009, 06:11:07 am »

Damn cats. I swear, Scamps is going to kill the poor guy one day. :P

And I bet that one day would be before the 1.0 release. Damn cats.

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2009, 09:20:11 am »

I was going to ask the same thing! It reminds me of the music from an old megadrive game, Ecco the Dolphin. I got a sudden shot of nostalgia when it started playing! Good stuff.
Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6