Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to protect entrance that is just stairs down?  (Read 1218 times)

velz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to protect entrance that is just stairs down?
« on: December 05, 2009, 11:52:46 pm »

I started in a spot with no mountains so my entrance is just stairs down. I want to set up a walled area around the entrance and outside farm with a gate for my men to go in and out of. Are there anything like big portcullises in the game and how would you go about making this (mechanical, metalworking??)

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to protect entrance that is just stairs down?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:56:17 pm »

The closest you can get to a portcullis is a vertical grate connected to a lever. Actually, it might be vertical bars too, I'm not sure.

You can make grates out of stone at the mason's shop or metal at the forge. Levers and hooking up levers require stone mechanisms, made at the mechanic's shop. You need one mechanism for the lever and two to connect the lever to the grate. Order the lever pulled and the grate should disappear - pull it again and it will come back.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 12:13:16 am »

Build a castle around your stairs down, complete with Moat and Drawbridge:

That also lets you put your Military training area outside, to avoid Cave adaptation so that your Champions can fight outdoors without puking all over each other.

My stairs are at top right center of the screen... near all the tame animals (Jaguars, Rhesus Macaques, Donkeys, Giant desert Scorpions, etc). My Archery Range is against the inside back wall, with my melee practice field to its left.
Never pet a burning dog.

velz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 12:15:37 am »

cool thanks guys

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 01:21:39 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That also lets you put your Military training area outside, to avoid Cave adaptation so that your Champions can fight outdoors without puking all over each other.

My stairs are at top right center of the screen... near all the tame animals (Jaguars, Rhesus Macaques, Donkeys, Giant desert Scorpions, etc). My Archery Range is against the inside back wall, with my melee practice field to its left.

What is that line of red squares outside your walls?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 01:27:55 am »

a path or designations?
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Semmy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 05:15:27 am »

a path or designations?

Thats How stonesense defines traps.

he just has a big load of traps around his castle

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 05:20:41 am »

To paraphrase:

velz: Hey, my fort's entrance is just some stairs heading down. What's a good way to protect it?
blue emu: BUILD A CASTLE ON THAT SUCKA, BOY

God, I love this game.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 11:31:41 am »

Also remember hatch covers, which work precisely like doors (at least that's my experience so far).

But yes, just build walls around the downstairs, put doors and fortifications to fire out of into the walls, and you're all set.

With time you can expand with a second level with fortifications, siege engines, etc.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore