Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Butcher's shop in the dev_now  (Read 13499 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Butcher's shop in the dev_now
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2009, 07:24:43 pm »

See for yourself :

I don't know anything about cooking, but it seems pretty hardcore, even if you avoid the "ashes of one fine thin joint" :p

That recipe should produce something recognizable as barbecue sauce. It looks like a lot of ingredients, but most barbecue sauce recipes simplify by specifying ketchup. I dunno about that coffee though.
M e either.Rest sounds like yeh, it'd work- though I think it's heavy on the liquid smoke. (I think the "Killian's Red" is half in jest/for EVUL purposes.)

@Grimlocke
I dunno, I asked about decorations in mainthread.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2009, 08:06:48 pm »

And to take things somewhat back on-topic: should dwarves want/need/have access to condiments? You could have Urist McDibbler selling suspicious sausages with lots of mustard. I suspect it would be too complicated for the player to manage.

Well, we already have dwarven syrup, and that'll be more condiment-like in the future:

# Req129, IMPROVE COOKING, (Future): More food. Food should require a substrate, rather than just being seeds etc. Seeds, syrups, drinks and other such objects can contribute to the likes/dislike checks as they do now, but they shouldn't add to the number created. A good roll could lead to the recipe being given a name and saved to the entity definition, where it can then be encountered in other cities in subsequent games.

I don't think it would be a management problem for the player, as long as the dwarves are intelligent about just using whatever's available.

I meant condiments as an optional thing that dwarfs would choose to put on their already-prepared food when eating. Like a miner who likes to put Berserk Elf Sauce* on his biscuits.

I guess I just find the idea of a dwarf running around refilling cruet sets silly.

*does not contain actual elf

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2009, 08:10:31 pm »

I guess I just find the idea of a dwarf running around refilling cruet sets silly.

It's a little silly, but endearingly so, I think.  Sooner or later those mead halls will have waitstaff.

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2009, 08:37:34 pm »

It's a little silly, but endearingly so, I think.  Sooner or later those mead halls will have waitstaff.

I see a waiter having a strange mood, locking himself in the butler's pantry, and emerging holding an artifact origami napkin covered in stone spikes.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2009, 08:42:01 pm »

Also, with this new abundance of meat, and the new material system, could we at last make awesome, skyscraping towers of MEAT blocks? (with some minor modding ofc)

Ooh, I just realized that the supermod I'm planning for next version will inadvertantly allow that sort of thing.

You'll also be able to make towers out of tofu, but real men don't build tofu.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2009, 08:46:28 pm »

I wonder if we'll be able to make it so that some by-products of butchering are made of metal?  Or more specifically, a metal named "plastic" that'd be inedible.

Can you guess what modding I'm thinking of?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2009, 08:59:04 pm »

Yes, you can do that.  It doesn't actually have to be "metal" anymore, either, due to the material rewrite.  The new material system is extremely flexible.  You can make creatures out of plump helmet material if you want.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2009, 10:17:00 pm »

Urist Mcwaiter cancels Wait Table: Tip Jar lost or misplaced
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2009, 10:31:45 pm »

I wonder if we'll be able to make it so that some by-products of butchering are made of metal?  Or more specifically, a metal named "plastic" that'd be inedible.

Autons?
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2009, 10:37:19 pm »

Autons?
(Hint: It's in his name)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2009, 10:46:27 pm »

Urist Mcwaiter cancels Wait Table: Tip Jar lost or misplaced
Kogask McCustomer cancels Lunch: Rude Waiter
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2009, 03:07:02 am »

It's very obvious now that this is going to be the best release since... the last release. Seriously. It's not even surprising any more. DF has been in the "beyond the impossible" spectrum for well over a year. I eagerly await playing with materials and making bizarre things.

LEGO FORTRESS!

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2009, 06:18:31 am »

It's very obvious now that this is going to be the best release since... the last release. Seriously. It's not even surprising any more. DF has been in the "beyond the impossible" spectrum for well over a year. I eagerly await playing with materials and making bizarre things.

LEGO FORTRESS!
Which is actually going to be great with this release...
You could make a dragon be out of 5 green blocks, and 2 flame-thingies, and specify how they all connect :p
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2009, 07:35:54 am »

The spinning green block catches the Dragon in the upper right green block! It is broken!
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2009, 07:47:25 am »

Isn't the point of the "Lego *Series*" franchise that it is supposed to be more simple then the real thing? (One of the reason why Lego Rockband MAKES NO SENSE!)

Lego Dwarf Fortress seems needlessly complex.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8