Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Butcher's shop in the dev_now  (Read 13503 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butcher's shop in the dev_now
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 09:04:46 pm »

Sorry for the double-post.

NEVER we will hate you forever! (Joke)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 09:22:20 pm »

Replace 'elephant' with 'dwarf' and that is pretty much the same result a dabbling surgeon will get...

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2009, 09:58:56 pm »

Now we need sheep and oats. Then we can pawn off haggis on unsuspecting traders.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 10:08:06 pm »

There's going to be a lot of hauling work. Much more than it is now.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2009, 10:24:35 pm »

Guys, it's not done yet.  He said he still needs to work on various things - among them he mentioned getting unrealistic amounts of meat in some cases for game balance purposes.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2009, 11:24:51 pm »

We know and we can read.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2009, 11:28:29 pm »

We know and we can read.

At least we hope so.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2009, 03:23:29 am »

That is all I have to say. Really though, intestines are used in various cultures and since we are having pseudocultures or something in the next release, it would be easy to RP that some dwarven cultures and civs use elephant intestine for whatever purpouse.
What?!? All of those links, and no mention of chitlins? For shame. ;)
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2009, 07:04:08 am »

We know and we can read.
I know you guys can read, but for a moment some of y'all were talking like it was going in as-is.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2009, 08:48:36 am »

It should be an option on whether or not a butcher wants to retain the internal organs. It should be much more difficult and not all dwarves will eat them (unless they're starving).  That could be an interesting negative though: Urist was disgusted by having to eat brains recently. As well as a postive thought: ...Ate an interesting cut of meat recently

Also I hunt, and the only organs I myself and most people try to save are the liver(though not anymore thanks to health scares) and heart. I suppose dwarves may be more frugal. Dwarf hunters should be given the option to fieldress their kills, and leave a gutpile, which would make them rot much less quickly. The meat in a corpse with the guts still in it will go bad very quickly. However, without the guts it can be stored much longer, especially in a cool place(like say... an underground room). I'm kind of rambling here, and about something most people probaly don't care about, but I'll say that there could be a check: animals killed at a butchers shop or within a certain distance of the shop will have their internal organs kept. Animals killed further away will be gutted.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2009, 08:59:54 am »

I myself is mildly amuzed by the amount of meat from elephant. And I like it. I'd better have more dangerous elephants which rarely breed but produce lots of meat than easily trappable elephants which produce almost as many meat as a dog or cow (like it's now). I am enjoying it :). Mermaid farms would be much cooler, "Our fortress produces the finest mermaid eyes". Yummy.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 10:08:09 am »

It should be an option on whether or not a butcher wants to retain the internal organs. It should be much more difficult and not all dwarves will eat them (unless they're starving). 

As has been stated, traditional cultures ate everything.

For how you can make the most of your hunting today, try http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mostof_offal.shtml

Quote from: The Link I just Posted
...Once you get it home, have courage. Offal is often no more difficult to cook than a steak. Take ox heart. It’s lean (with less fat than the leanest meat, and more iron and copper) and all you have to do is slice it thinly, marinate it and grill it. Fergus loves its texture...

...Kidneys are another easy way to enjoy offal and are a good source of selenium and folate. Lambs' livers can be picked up for only 50p each - enjoy them in devilled kidneys on toast.

Iron-rich calves' liver is a delicacy often served in restaurants, yet it's also very simple to cook at home. If calves' liver is too costly, lamb's liver is fine as an alternative and is also much undervalued at about £4 a kilo.

These might be entry-level offal, but they’re actually stronger-tasting than other innards and organs like soft and delicately flavoured sweetbreads (the thymus gland or pancreas), brains and tripe that sound more off-putting to the uninitiated...

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:09:59 am by shadow_archmagi »
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 10:20:24 am »

That is all I have to say. Really though, intestines are used in various cultures and since we are having pseudocultures or something in the next release, it would be easy to RP that some dwarven cultures and civs use elephant intestine for whatever purpouse.
What?!? All of those links, and no mention of chitlins? For shame. ;)
Chitterlin'!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2009, 11:05:44 am »

I think the first thing I shall do in the new version is build huge towers to throw things off.

I want to go hunting for intestines, spleens, brains, nervous tissue, kidneys, eyeballs, etc. strewn all over the landscape.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2009, 11:09:08 am »

Oh god, I can see the headlines now.

"DELICIOUS GAME TEACHES TEEN TO MAKE REALISTIC MEALS"
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8