Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Butcher's shop in the dev_now  (Read 13465 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butcher's shop in the dev_now
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2009, 08:18:11 am »

It's very obvious now that this is going to be the best release since... the last release. Seriously. It's not even surprising any more. DF has been in the "beyond the impossible" spectrum for well over a year. I eagerly await playing with materials and making bizarre things.

LEGO FORTRESS!
Which is actually going to be great with this release...
You could make a dragon be out of 5 green blocks, and 2 flame-thingies, and specify how they all connect :p

Oh no, does that mean dragons are made from people!?! RIOT! lol j/k. Seriously, I love legos :)

100 dwarfbucks to whoever gets the reference. :)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2009, 08:22:18 am »

It's very obvious now that this is going to be the best release since... the last release. Seriously. It's not even surprising any more. DF has been in the "beyond the impossible" spectrum for well over a year. I eagerly await playing with materials and making bizarre things.

LEGO FORTRESS!
You could make a dragon be out of 5 green blocks, and 2 flame-thingies, and specify how they all connect :p

Oh no, does that mean dragons are made from people!?! RIOT! lol j/k. Seriously, I love legos :)

I think I know the answer, but I don't want to speak up, so I'll just stay soylent
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2009, 10:55:44 am »

I don't understand why people are so squeamish about offal. I've had pig liver and brains for lunch yesterday, and it was better than steak.

Also, whoever wrote that guide for butchering humans has obviously never done any real butchery. Throwing away blood? Even dabbling butchers know you need that for blood pudding. And sawing bone instead of separating at joints? Who the hell does that?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:06:29 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2009, 11:39:00 am »

I sincerely hope that's from multiple elephants. Because 2 hearts (Time Lord elephant anyone?), 2 pancreases, 2 spleens, 4 kidneys, 5 livers, 5 stomachs, 5 brains and 10 lungs seems a bit too much for just one elephant...

I think I know the answer, but I don't want to speak up, so I'll just stay soylent

How punny of you..
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2009, 01:35:08 pm »

I sincerely hope that's from multiple elephants. Because 2 hearts (Time Lord elephant anyone?), 2 pancreases, 2 spleens, 4 kidneys, 5 livers, 5 stomachs, 5 brains and 10 lungs seems a bit too much for just one elephant...

How punny of you..
I think the two heart means that the elephant heart is big enough to produce 2 chunks of heart meat.
Else how do you explain the 10 lungs but 2 hearts?
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2009, 03:36:18 pm »

Indeed. 10 arbitrary units of meat, although 10 arbitrary units of meat from 2 elephant lungs does seem a bit excessive. I dunno though, lungs are pretty large.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2009, 03:53:36 pm »

I asked Toady about this here's a copy of the correspondence:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2009, 06:01:47 pm »

Lego Dwarf Fortress seems needlessly complex appropriately dwarven.
Fix'd

What I want to see is skill quality implementations, combined with poisonous tissues, combined with pufferfish.

Annoying NobleBeard demands Pufferfish Meat!
Urist Metalsmith has botched a food preperation task!
Annoying NobleBeard has died of poison!
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2009, 06:19:18 pm »

Complex?  Goodness no, minifigures need no sleep, food, or drink.  Although if at all possible I might make them eat plastic.  Even if I can't do the latter, the next release will allow me to vastly improve the LEGO mod.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2009, 08:33:09 pm »

Maybe with all this extra meat dwarfs will start to eat more. Of course than they would waste all their time going to the food stock pile, maybe they could carry a season or two worth of food with them?

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2009, 08:53:04 pm »

Indeed. 10 arbitrary units of meat, although 10 arbitrary units of meat from 2 elephant lungs does seem a bit excessive. I dunno though, lungs are pretty large.

I think you are underestimating the size of the beast here. In the real world, butchering an elephant is going to provide roughly a thousand times the food as one gets from butchering a cat.

I couldn't find a good number for lung weight, but an elephant's brain weighs in the neighborhood of 11 pounds. That's around 2 pounds/unit for those prepared elephant brains [5].

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2009, 09:01:00 pm »

I think you are underestimating the size of the beast here. In the real world, butchering an elephant is going to provide roughly a thousand times the food as one gets from butchering a cat.

I couldn't find a good number for lung weight, but an elephant's brain weighs in the neighborhood of 11 pounds. That's around 2 pounds/unit for those prepared elephant brains [5].
...IT'S 2.2! Have we stumbled on the conversion factor? Is a unit of meat a kilogram?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2009, 05:49:10 am »

...IT'S 2.2! Have we stumbled on the conversion factor? Is a unit of meat a kilogram?

Elephants have a kilogram of nervous tissue?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2009, 05:54:33 am »

In their spinal cord?  That sounds about right.  For a rough estimate -- the human spinal cord weighs 35 g; an african elephant weighs about 5000 kg, making it about 60 times as heavy as a human; the expected weight of its spinal cord is about 2 kg.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 06:00:50 am by Footkerchief »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2009, 06:04:29 am »

In their spinal cord?  That sounds about right.  For a rough estimate -- the human spinal cord weighs 35 g; an african elephant weighs about 5000 kg, making it about 60 times as heavy as a human; the expected weight of its spinal cord is about 2 kg.

If we're looking at the spinal cord, then that's pretty reasonable (and that you could get it out in butchering).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8