Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to mod mechanism making - a bauxite alternative  (Read 1741 times)

webkilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to mod mechanism making - a bauxite alternative
« on: December 05, 2009, 02:25:23 pm »

I want to mod the way mechanisms are made so that i can make them with metals...

thats it really

i looked around on the wiki, it didn't seem to offer much help on the subject

I get the idea with tokens and such, but i can find any guides to where i'm supposed to tweak what.

i'm open to suggestions.

EDIT:

i've gotten the Raw editor, i've looked around in the raw files... but i cant find anything that covers workshop creations

where is the mechanism creation raw?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 02:43:40 pm by webkilla »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to mod mechanism making - a bauxite alternative
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 02:49:00 pm »

You'll need to do it manually with reactions.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_METAL_TRAPPARTS]
[NAME:forge metal mechanisms]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:1:100:TRAPPARTS:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:USE_RACEGLOSS]

Not sure if the material'll come out correctly... I checked the wiki string dump and couldn't find a non-creature related matgloss pointer (something along the lines of USE_MATGLOSS) so USE_RACEGLOSS had to do. As I say, I'm not entirely sure that it'll work, but I thought I got something like that to work in the past. Try it, and I'll dig around a little more.

Edit: There is no means of editing workshops yet. A means may exist in the next version, along with profession editing.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 02:52:15 pm by 3 »

webkilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 02:58:24 pm »

fair enough

and ya - it would be nice to be able to mod workshops...

makes me wonder how toady 'hid' it though - if everything else is in the raws?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 03:02:14 pm »

There are plenty of things not in the raws; it is one of Toady's continuing objectives to get as much stuff out of the game and into the raws in a readable format as possible.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 03:03:15 pm »

Apparently, you can use a metal for mechanisms if you add the [ANY_USE] tag to its entry (in the matgloss_metal.txt file). However, this also allows it to be used for clothing and a variety of other things, like adamantine can be used for most anything, so it might be undesirable.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 03:11:42 pm »

Aha. Yeah, I evidently forgot about that tag. Isn't used enough as far as I see it, heh.

On an unrelated note, I didn't realise that [WAFERS] was a tag. What else it'd be I don't know... opens up some interesting modding potential; what's with people created convoluted reactions to simulate supposedly hard-to-process metals when refining wafers takes long enough already?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 03:14:17 pm by 3 »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 04:26:32 pm »

Aha. Yeah, I evidently forgot about that tag. Isn't used enough as far as I see it, heh.

On an unrelated note, I didn't realise that [WAFERS] was a tag. What else it'd be I don't know... opens up some interesting modding potential; what's with people created convoluted reactions to simulate supposedly hard-to-process metals when refining wafers takes long enough already?
I think [WAFERS] just makes "bars" of the metal count only for 1 mat_size instead of 3. I don't think it has anything to do with the actual processing, since Raw Adamantine actually isn't an ore of adamantine; it just processes into adamantine threads and there is a special reaction to turn adamantine threads into adamantine wafers.

...Of course, [WAFERS] would essentially cut the production per ore by 1/3 and make the material difficult to work, but not to process into bars.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 04:31:43 pm »

Oh, I forget about seperate stone and metal entries.

Adamantine has [THREAD_METAL:ADAMANTINE:(potential)], though, which still could be used as a seperate part of the process.

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 06:08:38 pm »

Apparently, you can use a metal for mechanisms if you add the [ANY_USE] tag to its entry (in the matgloss_metal.txt file). However, this also allows it to be used for clothing and a variety of other things, like adamantine can be used for most anything, so it might be undesirable.

I can confirm that [ANY_USE] makes metal mechanisms work just fine. I also never say dwarven immigrants/traders with metal socks, so it's all fine I guess. I could make Iron / Brass clothing at a forge because I added [ANY_USE] to those two but that would be extremely useless, so it's not even like an exploit or something (I made some iron quivers to test it and there are no problems with them, except for the fact that leather would be a lot less expansive than iron).

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 06:21:51 pm »

If you allow the use of the metal ore on your z-stones, i'm sure you can make (for example) hematite mechanisms, although as to whether they're magma-safe is a topic for experimenttion and... fun
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 06:49:43 pm »

If you allow the use of the metal ore on your z-stones, i'm sure you can make (for example) hematite mechanisms, although as to whether they're magma-safe is a topic for experimenttion and... fun
They're not, by the way  :'(

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 10:38:56 pm »

You'll need to do it manually with reactions.

[REACTION:MAKE_METAL_TRAPPARTS]
[NAME:forge metal mechanisms]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:1:100:TRAPPARTS:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:USE_RACEGLOSS]

Not sure if the material'll come out correctly... I checked the wiki string dump and couldn't find a non-creature related matgloss pointer (something along the lines of USE_MATGLOSS) so USE_RACEGLOSS had to do. As I say, I'm not entirely sure that it'll work, but I thought I got something like that to work in the past. Try it, and I'll dig around a little more.

Edit: There is no means of editing workshops yet. A means may exist in the next version, along with profession editing.

Using 1 bar gives you a 1% chance of making 100 mechanisms? ;)

The USE_RACEGLOSS will cause it to fail you need to pick a type of metal, for example the following is what I use for an Iron Mechanism (I have a reaction for a steel one as well).

[REACTION:MECHANISM_IRON]
[NAME:cast iron mechanisms]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TRAPPARTS:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[FUEL]

But your other option is actually much easier go into the economic stone section and flip the raw ore for the metal to be used for other things.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 10:46:13 pm »

It's not actually percentile chance - it's percentage towards completion, so you'll always have to do the reaction exactly 100 times to get the product. But yeah.

I'm sure I once had some method up of creating reaction products based on what went into them...

webkilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 09:21:43 am »

uhm guys... i dunno what i did - but it appears that my smelters are messed up now???

the only thing they'll do is make those iron mechanisms

they wont do regular smelting jobs

WTF!!! (and i got coal, and ore, and all that)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 10:29:03 am »

uhm guys... i dunno what i did - but it appears that my smelters are messed up now???

the only thing they'll do is make those iron mechanisms

they wont do regular smelting jobs

WTF!!! (and i got coal, and ore, and all that)

Ok what exactly did you do? Did you just use me code and replace Rose Gold? If yes can you cut and paste the section of code that is there. Sometimes odd little errors happen.

In your main DF directory there should be an error log, reading this may give you a hint as to what the problem is.

If you can remember what you did you can just reverse that and it should go back to normal or you can make a new DF folder and unzip the game into that and replace the damaged reaction file with that one.
Pages: [1] 2