Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making magma carp more fun  (Read 512 times)

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making magma carp more fun
« on: December 04, 2009, 09:16:08 pm »

So I got a bunch of carp to swim around in magma, but I fear they may not be evil fun enough. Having so many Z-levels means that the carp aren't always near the surface of the pipe and being in mamga means random fisherman won't try to fish them up. Usually no dwarf has anything to fear from a carp 3 Z-levels deep in a magma pipe they don't want to be near anyway.

Is there any way to allow my carp to go through fortifications (no walking on land) or should I just beef them up into populous, firespitting behemoths?

BTW here is the raw
Code: [Select]
CREATURE:FISH_CARP_MAGMA]

[NAME:magma carp:magma carp:magma carp]

[TILE:160][COLOR:3:0:0]

[LARGE_ROAMING]

[UNDERSWIM][IMMOBILE_LAND][FIREIMMUNE][MAGMA_VISION][LIKES_FIGHTING]

[MODVALUE:3]

[GENPOWER:3]

[PREFSTRING:burning screams]

[ALL_ACTIVE]

[POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30]

[CLUSTER_NUMBER:3:8]

[BENIGN][MEANDERER][NATURAL]

[BODY:BASIC_2PARTBODY:BASIC_HEAD:SIDE_FINS:DORSAL_FIN:TAIL:2EYES:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH]

[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]

[ATTACK:SECOND:BYTOKEN:TAIL:slap:slaps:1:2:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]

[SIZE:3]

[MAXAGE:20:30]

[NO_DRINK][NO_EAT][NO_SLEEP][NOBREATHE]

[CHILD:1][CHILDNAME:magma carp fry:magma carp fry]

[FAT:1]

[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_LAVA]

[STANDARD_FLESH]

[HOMEOTHERM:10067]

[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:1000]
[HEATDAM_POINT:13000]

[IGNITE_POINT:13500]

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making magma carp more fun
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 10:54:41 pm »

Well, creatures can only get through fortifications via a bug, as far as I know. Flows sometimes force them through, apparantly. I'm not sure if that's still even true. I guess you could give them the firebreathing tag, since fireballs can go through fortifications. You could just not build fortifications, and give the carp Buildingdestroyer one or two, in which case they'd batter down any grates, bars or floodgates that were in their way.
To solve them never being near the top of the magma pipe, you could give them a higher clustersize, so there'd be more in each place, LOOSE_CLUSTERS so they'd spread out more, and give them a high VIEWRANGE ( higher than the distance from the bottom of the pipe to the surface) and LARGEPREDATOR or LIKES_FIGHTING to make them able to spot your dwarves and want to kill them.

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 06:14:23 am »

You could remove the [MEANDERER] tag, so they should actively try and path to your dwarfs. You could also give them [liTTERSIZE:x:y], which will increase the amount of babies you get.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 09:15:44 am »

Awesome ideas; hopefully removing [MEANDERER] and giving them [LOOSECLUSERS] and [VIEWRANGE] will make them hungry for dwarves. More carp might be very fun too!

Now I need to utilize these in some fun traps! Even those [FIREIMMUNE] megabeasts and clowns won't be able to escape! Do I need to tame them first for this?