Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19

Author Topic: A Line of Dwarves  (Read 17005 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: A Line of Dwarves
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2009, 05:12:19 am »

(( And NOTHING ELSE HAPPENED oOo till of course we got to autumn. ))

1st of Limestone, 302. Early Autumn.
The weather changed today, so I know today is the first day of autumn. I could just feel that cool wind blow when I stepped outside to inspect my new wall.

I've written up a list of stocks so far, just in case someone else reads this journal.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As I was walking inside, I passed by one of our trained masons, Ducim. I waved hello to her, but she suddenly went all quiet and ran towards her mason shop. Apparently she's locked herself in there. I hope I didn't offend her or something!

4th of Limestone, 302. Early Autumn.

I hear sounds of furious scraping and chipping from where Ducim is working. She's taken 3 lumps of Phyllite and a rough moonstone.

6th of Limestone, 302. Early Autumn.

What is this? Why didn't anyone tell me?! I had to sniff the burning scent of molten rock out myself!
Well, whatever. I found the magma! I count 4 fire imps and a man of flame, so we'll have to be careful for now!

7th of Limestone, 302. Early Autumn.
A groundhog walked into one of our traps. Our legendary carpenter, who was nearby at the time, decided he'd take this opportunity to tear the mangled animal to pieces with his bare hands. I'm a little worried for him.

9th of Limestone, 302.
Ducim finally came out of her workshop holding the nicest hatch cover I ever did see!

16th of Limestone, 302.
An injured muskox appears to be flopping around outside the walls, spooking the workers. I'll send someone over to deal with it.

18th of Limestone, 302.
Traders arrived!

Snatcher arrived! Liason found him. But, I know that guy. He's crazy tough, that goblin is as good as dead.
... or not. I watched as the liason fled from the pathetic goblin.

22nd of Limestone, 302.
Some potash maker was stuck up on this ledge. No one even likes him, but I thought I should save him anyway.

5th of Sandstone 302.
Deinol reported back to me with what the next caravan would like from us.
Why would the mountainhomes want windows so bad? What are you going to look at with them underground?

7th of Sandstone, 302.
My watchtower is coming along nicely!

17th of Sandstone, 302.
The traders left, finally. With them they bring our useless junk high quality trade goods to the mountainhomes.

18th of Sandstone, 302.
The dog at the gates started barking like mad, and I heard the distinctive swing of a cage trap loaded with a wooden cage. It's a beautiful sound...

I ran out to see what it was. I was both surprised and greatly amused at the same time. Okay, I laughed when I saw what poor creature got stuck in the cage. I laughed right at it, but I don't think anyone else will mind.
I'll leave our friend here for public jeering in the dining hall.

19th of Sandstone, 203.
I saw a rather soggy dwarf holding some stone before. It's not raining... why was he so wet?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 08:42:35 am by Doomshifter »
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2009, 08:21:48 am »

can i have a dwarf? leader of the millitary of course. use screenname.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2009, 08:38:09 am »

can i have a dwarf? leader of the millitary of course. use screenname.

You're thinking Community fort. This is a succession game.

You can sign up for a turn, if you so wish! (Also, we don't have a military yet XD)
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2009, 08:42:44 am »

... why cant it be both?
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2009, 08:51:32 am »

... why cant it be both?
Because we don't have a military leader :3

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2009, 08:52:40 am »

make one.

i am a fan of small sentances.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2009, 09:10:13 am »

make one.

i am a fan of small sentances.
Okay, I'll name a trap after you. I will give it a name, and it will be our friend the trap.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2009, 09:12:11 am »

... riiiiight...

when you DO get a millitary dorf, you know what to name him.

BACK TO LURKING

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2009, 09:16:04 am »

9th of Timber, 302.
I was staring out at our glorious traps today, and one... one just caught my eye. It wasn't very special, just a weapon trap with a kobold's dagger attached to it, but it made an impact on me. I decided to give him a name.
He shall surely serve us for years to come!

15th of Timber, 302.
We found a large vein of copper! Excellent!

1st of Moonstone, 302. Early Winter
Ah, there's a chill in the air today. Winter has arrived, at last! Not that anyone seems to care.
The well is finally operational, thanks to me putting a wall in place to make the reservoir a bit smaller. The original size was a little over the top, and I doubt we'll need that much water.

2nd of Moonstone, 302.
I am SICK and TIRED of dwarves tracking their filthy muddy boots ALL OVER my courtyard. So, I've come up with a FINAL SOLUTION.
Maybe this will teach those filthy fools...

13th of Moonstone, 302.
What is that we caught in our cages today, diary? A goblin you say? Boring. A goblin MASTER THIEF you say? Now we're talking.
What sort of a MASTER THIEF walks into a cage trap?

17th of Moonstone, 302.
Ms. Wetdike here has a penchant for running into kobolds! How fortunate for a woodcutter to be running into them! She clubbed the thing right to the edge of our road with a single swing and kept going.

22nd of Moonstone, 302.
You'd think that goblins and kobolds WANT to die. Another woodcutter found a goblin thief and sliced his head off with her axe. I saw it about 10 paces away from his body. 2 paces in the other direction lay it's arm. Clearly it didn't stand a chance.

28th of Moonstone, 302.
A fisherdwarf went secretive. He barged into the craftsdwarf's shop and booted the guy out. Goodness knows what he's going to make, but I have a feeling it will be very pretty and probably rather useless.
... I've seen what he took, and I know that it will be VERY shiny. He took a lump of native aluminium, a rough pink tourmaline and some elk leather.

6th of Opal, 302.
Our fisherdwarf friend made an AMAZING bracelet! It even has a picture of THE QUEEN in native aluminium! I'm impressed. 'Steelold the Pungent Fortification'. It certainly reeks of fish, that's for sure...

14th of Opal, 302.
Our chef has given birth to a bouncing baby boy! Yay~! She is quite the baby-machine, this lady. She's already got two other children, but this is her first boy.

7th of Obsidian, 302.
I promoted Deinol to Sheriff! He seems pleased. So pleased, in fact, he asked me for a nicer room. Considering that I one day may be sharing that room, I gladly obliged.

19th obsidian
Diary, I'm getting tired of this leadership stuff. I think it might be time soon to settle down and get back to my mechanisms... I'll give it to the end of the year, and fob the job off on some other unfortunate.

24th
I told the dwarves to give me something nice to commemorate my leaving. I ordered them to build another layer to my wall, purely out of the cinnabar I found. A bright red wall! It will be glorious!!

*a few teardrops mark the page*
1st of Granite, 303. Early Spring
It's new years day, Diary! Time for my leadership to end! Hopefully my brilliant red wall will go ahead as planned to mark my leaving the post. I'll leave a note of our fortress' stocks for the next ruler, may he or she rule prosperously and lead Boltnarrows to it's inevitable greatness! I'm so sad, but I'm so happy!
So long, Diary! May you reach good hands, and may Edim's charity reach the next ruler!

(( Okay, so my year is up! I'm a bit sad, because I had sooo much fun! My paving project was half-completed, so just let that run. As well as my big red wall :3
Some notes for the next ruler.
- WE HAVE NO MILITARY!!!
- Down below, there is a room very slowly flooding. Once it is all flooded, or at least all muddied, I recommend you pull the levers to close the flow of water and open the room to the public (I've marked all of the levers with a N)ote.) Use this muddy rock to farm on.
- You might want to do something with that magma, which I left untouched. I don't have a military, so four fire imps and a fire-man are kinda dangerous. That area is blocked off at the moment. ))

THANK YOU, AND GOOD NIGHT~!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 12:07:32 pm by Doomshifter »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2009, 12:17:22 pm »

deinol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2009, 12:20:50 pm »

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2009, 12:38:42 pm »

Awesome. In class at the moment, but I'll start ASAP.

(And hope my laptop doesn't bluescreen while playing, as happens with a lot of my forts. ;>.< If it does, I'll make something out of it I guess)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2009, 12:43:01 pm »

Deinol, for some reason I can't read the Spring page from my turn on that obsidian portal site. It says I need to log in or something...

deinol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2009, 12:59:00 pm »

Deinol, for some reason I can't read the Spring page from my turn on that obsidian portal site. It says I need to log in or something...

Try it now. Somehow the "DM only" checkbox got marked.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2009, 01:18:22 pm »

Try it now. Somehow the "DM only" checkbox got marked.
All good! :3 Well, I'm happy it's all done ^^ I'll keep watching, of course. I want to see how this turns out. Oh, and should there be a lack of players, I'd love to have another go at this.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19