Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19

Author Topic: A Line of Dwarves  (Read 16977 times)

deinol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Line of Dwarves
« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2010, 01:43:09 am »

Or awesome.
No, not really.

"Humans! I declare war with y-URK"
Urist McIdiotface has been struck down.
Human Crossbowman is more experienced.

I thought the proper dwarven declaration of war involved at least three levers andsome magma.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 18, 2010, 07:08:34 am »

which we have not done yet. ergo, we are not at war!
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 18, 2010, 04:56:52 pm »

Believe me, I am working furiously on the magma death machine.  May be ready by 1st of spring if I am lucky.

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 22, 2010, 02:17:23 am »

14th Hematite:
Peace with the humans have brought caravans to us.  Good, they better be laden with wood.  And iron.  The more I have to melt down the better…. I’ll also settle for copper and zinc goods, even nickel.

23rd Hematite
Seized just about everything from the humans.  The merchant said something about war.  I said something about his mother and a beak dog.  Talks improved from there.

9thGalena:
Deinol has passed on, succumbing to his cave in wounds.  Unlucky sod.  I wonder who shall be the new captain of the guard.

In desperation for copper, I have ordered the peasants to tear up the copper floors found in the monument to some lesser god.  This has caused the coffin in Doom’s tomb to rattle incessantly.  I have ordered the doors locked.  Considering walling off the tomb to prevent a Boatmurdered like incident of undead rulers.

11th Galena:

Talk in the surrounding lands is that no dwarf wanted to migrate this season.  Apparently all the deaths are making them nervous.  They are all a bunch of sober sissies.

19th Galena:
Raised WARHAMMER to the position of Captain of the Guard.  I figure that he atleast should be able to inspire fear into criminals with his name, if nothing else.

1st Limestone:

Autumn has come.  With it comes the hope of some traders from the mountainhome.  I’m hoping for towercaps and anything made of steel, iron, nickel, zinc, or copper.  Need to make more nickel silver to stretch my stock of nickel.

Super structure is almost done.  Mecahnics are hard at work putting in the plumbing for the Philosopher’s Keep.

3rd Limestone:
Discovered iron was use when building the Spire.  Had it torn out for use in the Philosopher’s Keep.  Will replace it if there is time in the future.

10th Limestone:
Caravan from the mountainhomes.  Time to move whatever trade goods we have out so we can acquire more materials for our grand works.

23rd Sandstone:

As of today our lands have apparently be dubbed a duchy by the mountainhomes.  Apparently having a half finished megaproject is all that is required by the dwarven king to be decalred a duchy.  Word of the king’s desire to move in has reached us as well.  Not my problem today.

1st Timber
Winter is coming.  I have started the power apparatus needed to pump the sweet sweet magma from the depths into the keep.  The philosopher has been assigned the drum tower as his bedroom.  Will be sealing the place soon enough with him inside.

12th Opal

Almost complete, even rigged a lever and pressure plates to lock him into his new quarters.  He must have caught wind of the trap as he is now spending all his time in the basement near his tomb.  Taken drastic measures and have carved a channel behind the area.  Ready to lock him in and flood the chamber if need be.

22nd Opal

Trapped the Philosoper inside his favorite haunt by his tomb.  Locked the doors.  Going to flood it with magma.  Kind of a shame that all this effort went to waste, but now this fortress has a magma death machine.  Or atleast the reservoir for one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

20th Obsidian:
Failure, complete failure.  Due to a lack of magma safe materials, gears melted and caught fire in the base of the north tower.  Pumps are fine, but the gears are busted.  A complete overhaul of the design probably needs to be done to make it proper.  I resign in disgrace.   If only there was bauxite or metal gears.

Although I did accomplish my goal.  I killed the philosopher out of revenge, spent a lot of dwarfbucks, employed the fortress for a year, and didn’t flood the world with magma.

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 22, 2010, 02:19:07 am »

Ugh, failed due to poor magma engineering thanks to lack of magma safe materials.  I would be ashamed if the efforts weren't so dwarfy.

Anywho, maybe the next one can fix it.  10 days left in 309, didn't finish it due to the failure of the magma reservoir of doom.

THE SAVE

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 22, 2010, 07:35:11 am »

In desperation for copper, I have ordered the peasants to tear up the copper floors found in the monument to some lesser god.  This has caused the coffin in Doom’s tomb to rattle incessantly.  I have ordered the doors locked.  Considering walling off the tomb to prevent a Boatmurdered like incident of undead rulers.
I will take the next available turn.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

n00bs4uce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 22, 2010, 09:00:27 am »

DLing the save now, will have at it today and hopefully get an update out. Now....what can I do with all this magma.....
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 22, 2010, 02:48:42 pm »

I fear my little dwarf is in for a world of hurt. 

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 23, 2010, 07:06:56 am »

I fear my little dwarf is in for a world of hurt. 
He'll be personally overseeing the draining of the temple, and have a nice little open hut outside.

and the philosopher was my favourite noble.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 23, 2010, 07:27:23 am »

In my defense he stole my bedroom, which had a nifty groundhog bone bed in it!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 23, 2010, 10:15:28 pm »

In my defense he stole my bedroom, which had a nifty groundhog bone bed in it!
I gave it to him because you weren't using it.

(Serious, it said that no one was using it so I gave it to him. After all, I have to do SOMETHING to shut him up about a ghastly ruler.)

n00bs4uce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 24, 2010, 04:32:29 pm »

25th Obsidian:
Dear Diary,
By Amok, why am I just now overseeing the rule of this blasted fortress. As "The Goddamned Count" I should have been in charge since I had first set foot here, but no, I had to watch these damned dwarfs build a shoddy fortress and I can tell you diary, I AM NOT HAPPY.
Endless corridors, overly lavish furnishings for the lesser, and so many uncompleted/failed projects. I aim to set things straight because we can't have our ruler come here with half the military untrained and the social hierarchy completely gone.

First thing is first, Must reallocate our artifacts. I don't mind the lessors' bedrooms and such being engraved, but no way are they keeping those artifacts. The queen will need them to live a more well deserved life.

Second, Must train a respectable military. By no means am I content with half being injured and the other half just standing around breathing through their mouths. I see no proper barracks for them to train in when not standing guard or "busy" sleeping, will have to set something outdoors near our entrance.

Third, Outfit said military in plate, most seem to be running around in leather. We aren't elves damn it, this will need to change.

Fourth, Acquire more metal, preferably iron. Will have to melt or mine more depending on what our stocks look like.

Fifth, Prepare for queen's arrival.

Maybe somewhere during all of this I can fix one of the many failures of a project that is our magma pumping operation. Wish me luck Diary.

1st Granite 310:

A new year diary! I think I can fix our magma pumps by making the base manual operated and sealing off the cistern.
Recruited all of the peasants to begin their training as well. Already beginning carving our royal room, I may have consolidate our space and overlap her bedrooms but hopefully a few artifacts will appease her.

12th Granite:
Elves have arrived! I hope they brought many cloth filled bins. I need to put our legendary clothmaker to good use for queen's offerings. Many of our recruits are becoming quite armored and experienced. Soon we will be quite the formidable fortress. Have also set most of our animals to the butcher as well as suspending all farming and brewing due to low stock and excess stock respectively. I will have to get around to figuring out these levers....

13th Granite:
Mixed news today diary. My beloved consort gave birth to a girl. She'll make a fine peasant one day. On a lighter note, one of the animal caretakers died of thirst, must have been one of the slow ones with all the booze we have.

17th Granite:
Satisfying trade with elves. Acquired much needed cloth, and even offered all of our silver and billion crafts. Hopefully they'll bring more cloth next year.

21st Granite:
Kobold thief spotted, sent carpenter after him. Couldn't catch up to him even though was right next to him. Useless

13th Slate:
Magma base fixed and operating, but notice one of the levels' pumps above it is facing wrong way, brilliant. Also, putting cloth to good use for sewing images of greatness into the local "junk". Royal room engraving underway as well, and all but one recruit(realize he's seriously injured) is now full fledged.

17th Slate:
Gemcutter withdraws from society. Doubt anything useful will come from it.

21st Slate:

Magnificent. This will look great in the queen's chambers.

24th Slate:
Migrants! 6 total with a philosopher included.

28th Slate:
Zuglar Isakimush suffocated while sparring.....Looks like Dumat Morulonul just got promoted.

13th Felsite:
Poor foresight have caused death of 3 pump operators during pump tests....will have to find replacements once magma cools.

8th Hematite:
New "roads" underway as well as wrapping up decoration and engraving of queen's future chamber. Another wrestler also suffocated. Magma cooling is taking longer than I'd like, and I'm not sure what we will do with said magma.........I'll have to sleep on it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:43:33 pm by n00bs4uce »

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 25, 2010, 12:44:46 am »

I installed a pump backwards?  Well crap, that explains the backflow I experienced...  Wish you better luck with the magma than I had.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 25, 2010, 12:49:28 am »

I installed a pump backwards?  Well crap, that explains the backflow I experienced...  Wish you better luck with the magma than I had.
Clearly you angered the gods!

Good one, butt-head XD

n00bs4uce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 25, 2010, 10:24:34 am »

13th Hematite:
I think a lovely magma moat will look great in the queen's chamber. Still waiting on magma cooling to continue restructuring of pumps.
On a lesser note it seems one of our metalsmiths failed to meet a mandate deadline and is now being properly handle as a result.
Oh joy, the humans just arrived. I wonder what they have brought.

17th Hematite:
Another mandate unfulfilled with 7 strikes of the hammer waiting to be given. Also, Adil Kindatan has been reelected mayor(as if it matters).

19th Hematite:
Met with human diplomat. I amused him for a while before sending him off, nothing gained or lost. One of the two criminals died, something to do with complications with a broken face, no matter, it was well deserved.

20th Hematite:
Good News! Magma has dried, queen's chamber is nearly complete along with the new "roads". We have also acquired a great deal of food and booze stores along with everything metal being carried from the humans.
I have also reconsidered the use of our magma stores. Most of the lessers seem quite discontent with the economy, and such a risk of rebellion has risen. Having the option to deal with the worst case scenario would be best......

12th Malachite;
Magma system is ready for testing, and all other projects except completing military training is complete. Will focus on creating artificial magma pipe.

15th Malachite:
Was found while looking for ore. May have to keep eye on it in case of hostiles.
Magma pumping smoothly, first tower is being filled slowly, cistern filling even slower.

22nd Malachite:
I've been told I have been testy lately. Apparently I have been having a "tantrum". Idiots. Maybe I should break a few tables to make a point......

25th Malachite:
Destroyed a throne. That'll show them whose boss

6th Galena:
GAH!!!! Why is is flowing upwards all of a sudden. I hope I can fix this somehow.......

8th Galena:
The whole lower half of the magma pumps are being submerged. The tower of pumps is lost.....Stupid pump operators.

18th Galena:
I hear the whispers. They say I'm a failure. Was only trying to fix what was broken. Doesn't make me a failure if it still doesn't work afterwards, no, not at all. The queen won't like whispering insults, no, no she won't. Will have to deal with this.....yes, yes I will.

23rd Galena:
Banana Decided that linking a door blocking magma passage needed to be done from the hot side. He bled to death.

24th Galena:
2 more died to the monster that is the lever linkage, have suspended it but not before door gets pryed open. Now whole bottom level is lost.

25th Galena:
3 more die in heat before being able to escape lower level. A few artifacts and masterworks were lost as well.

2nd Limestone:
My wife and both children have been counted among those dead in the lower level. Part of me feels sad, but not as much as the part that wants as many others to feel this pain........

11th Limestone:

MORE MORE AHAHAHAHA MORE
they run
they hide
i find
i tired
but i kill

Log of Acting Mayor and leader Adil Kindatan

11th Limestone:
Damn it all. Damned count just killed three and is now wearily beating on a poor fisherdwarf in his room. I don't want to send in the guards deal with this, it's one thing if there's an "accident" and it's another when we outright hack em up. Besides, even if I wanted to, I'd have to wait until this blasted siege is over with, damned goblins.

15th Limestone:
Amok save us all. Before any of our guard dwarfs were able to intercept, the bulk of the siege made into our backdoor.
Some have already made it inside and are wreaking havoc.
There has also been word that a few went straight to our lower most levels and are gaining on our miners within the mining shafts. May Amok save those poor souls.

Xieg tried to be a hero and charged the bulk of them, he didn't make it. Our military are about to arrive and hopefully handle this before it gets worse than it already is.

WE WILL FIGHT THEM WITH NUMBERS FOR AMOK!!!!!

16th Limestone:
Victory is ours!!! We lost 19 dwarfs among them Xieg and Warhammer, noble sacrifices. We must bury the dead and rid or fort of the vile corpses of the fallen goblins, we must trade with our wares to the recently arrived caravan and complete the final step in making our fortress worthy of nobility.

17th Limestone:
Our problem with the count resolved itself. Damn fisherdwarf killed him in self defense, saved me the trouble.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:49:22 pm by n00bs4uce »

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19