Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19

Author Topic: A Line of Dwarves  (Read 16956 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: A Line of Dwarves
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 01:52:38 am »

It's been about half-an-hour and I haven't heard anything form him. Can I make a start from your save?
(Also, you can host the saves on the DFFD.)

If you are rearing to go then go ahead. He only got a couple months in, but you can take his post as general advice on what to expect.
YAY~
*has been waiting impatiently the whole time*
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2009, 03:11:21 am »

Diary of Doomshifter, Leader of Alathdast, 'Boltnarrows'.
1st of Granite, 302. Early Spring

So, I was sitting in our little meeting hall when my good friend Deinol comes up to me. He taps me on the shoulder. 'I'm done. It's your turn.' he told me. I assumed he wanted me to mine or something. Hadn't he told me to go fishing? 'No,' he replied, 'I'm tired of leading. You're up.' No sooner had he told me that, he ran off to go mine something. Ah well. I guess I could give this leadership thing a go!

I looked over our fortress, something I hadn't done properly yet. I had a few... concerns.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why are these out HERE? Surely the kobolds, monkeys and goblins will be all over them in no time! I will have to move them.

I can't seem to remember what these are for. That second one has instructions to link it to.. something. I guess I'll remember in a bit! I've announced that no one is to do anything with these levers quite yet, as I'm unsure of their function. I'll be sure to write their function down once I discover it.

Is that... By Edim's charity, that's Stinthad! I thought we were going to bury him! I'll order up a casket for him IMMEDIATELY!

I cringed when I heard this. Are we truly out of booze?! I will get the stills working right away!

Apart from that, I have no other immediate concerns. I shall get to work on my duties immediately!

10th of Granite, 302. Early Spring

Buried Stinthad. May he rest in peace.

On a lighter note, I solve the mystery of ONE of the levers!
This floodgate is controlled by the lever above it. Now, why would Deinol want to flood this area? We have a perfectly good layer of soil to make farmland on.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2009, 03:44:53 am »

12th of Granite, 302.
I never thought I'd say this, but...

THE ELVES ARE HERE! REJOICE!
Erm, that is, the things they bring are brewable... I'm happy for the booze, not the elves...

What is this?! All our trade goods are in WOODEN bins! With LEATHER items! We can't trade with the elves like this! They shall surely scoff at us. It seems they leave me no choice but to take their goods by force.

16th of Granite, 302.
The elves were 'persuaded' to leave their trade goods for the profit of dwarfkind. Hopefully we can get some booze made up before we all have to start drinking WATER!

21st of Granite, 302.
THIEF!
I've ordered someone to take him down.
TWO OF THEM!
Fortunately, a nearby woodcutter turned his axe from the trees to flesh and cut down one of the as the second fled for his pathetic life. We'll see you again sometime, Glidisinkis.

26th of Granite, 302.
BY EDIM, RIGOTH, BREW! STOP GOING OFF FOR BREAKS, ASSFACE.
... DEINOL, WHY WON'T YOU MIIIIINE! ON BREAK MY BEARD!

2nd of Slate, 302.
Began work on a wall, to protect our external stockpiles. It's a temporary and shoddy job, in my opinion, but it will clear some of the rock from inside, protect out assets for now, and prove a useable base for a more impressive wall later!

5th of Slate, 302.
What in the world is this?
Stockpiles... INSIDE? Madness.

19th of Slate, 302.
Blasted kobolds! That's three of them already! Our clerk, who was storing something or rather, made short work of it, beating it to a pulp without taking a scratch. That's the sort of ethic I like to see in my dwarves!

28th of Slate, 302.
Now THAT's what I like to here

Our food and alcohol stockpiles are now nice and high!

Oh, I hear calling outside! One moment, diary.
Migrants! The calling was migrants! Let's see what we got.
... I watched on in horror as they kept coming. It was like an endless tide of migrants...
They finally stopped when we got to a population of 40. Considering we had 16 before... That makes a population jump of 24! 24 hungry mouths to feed! Well, they shall all be put to work, every single one!
We received:
1 Miner
1 Woodworker
3 Rangers
1 Metalsmith
1 Jeweller
2 Craftsdwarves
9 Peasants
1 Fishery worker
4 Farmers
1 Engineer

5th of Felsite, 302.
I've decided I may as well make these peasants do SOMETHING. I've told them all to get started on my wall. I think this wall will become a little more glorious than I suspected!

13th of Felsite, 302.
Some idiot hunter decided to chase a muskox towards the entrance of the fort. Some of my migrant builders panicked and now refuse to work, but on the bright side, my newly installed cage-trap has one muskox happily tucked away.

On another note, I tied a bear (that we stole from the elves) to the wall-entrance of our fort, to detect sneaky kobold thieves and goblin snatchers. No thief will even consider trying to break in when a savage bear guards the entrance!

24th of Felsite, 302.
The first layer of the wall is finished! It has ensured that there is only one entrance and exit, so all those who would seek to do us harm will be destroyed by our traps and guard-animals!

26th of Felsite, 302.
Erith, our carpenter, who was in the middle of building beds suddenly shouted aloud, "I HAVE AN IDEA!" and ran off towards the carpenters workshop with some logs. I have heard of these fey moods, and only hope it succeeds, for great profit!

Thus ends Spring... Next up is Summer!

((The carpenter took three birch logs. Goodness knows what he'll make. If he makes a furniture item, I've so got dibs on it ;3 ))
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:57:47 am by Doomshifter »

deinol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2009, 12:37:51 pm »

This floodgate is controlled by the lever above it. Now, why would Deinol want to flood this area? We have a perfectly good layer of soil to make farmland on.

That's a water reservoir for the currently dry well just above it.
What is this?! All our trade goods are in WOODEN bins! With LEATHER items! We can't trade with the elves like this! They shall surely scoff at us. It seems they leave me no choice but to take their goods by force.

Not that I know if we have any worthwhile goods inside the bins, but you can bring goods to trade in wooden bins as long as you are careful not to offer the bins themselves. I had told some useless dwarf to make rock instruments, but I don't know if we made that many. I don't think we even have a leatherworker yet...

BY EDIM, RIGOTH, BREW! STOP GOING OFF FOR BREAKS, ASSFACE.
... DEINOL, WHY WON'T YOU MIIIIINE! ON BREAK MY BEARD!

I'm retired; I only work part time.

Stockpiles... INSIDE? Madness.

The outside ones were meant to be temporary, but the great well construction took way longer than I expected.

Great stuff! Looking forward to the next report.

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2009, 04:54:19 pm »

So after checking this 3 times in the past ten minutes, I realized that now I know how Doomshifter felt waiting for her turn.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 12:24:18 am by Alexei403 »

deinol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2009, 05:07:19 pm »

So after checking this 3 times in the past ten minutes, I realized that now I know how Doomshifter felt waiting for his turn.

You realize that you can set the forum to e-mail you when there is a new reply on the thread?

I suspect Doomshifter will be back on after working hours, although which timezone he is in is questionable. I guess the east coast is off work already, I've still got three hours to go.

He also has three more seasons to finish, so you might have a few days wait.

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 05:18:51 pm »

^Yes, but I'm lazy. >_> And I don't mind waiting, I can do plenty of that while studying for my upcoming finals.

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2009, 08:14:23 pm »

You think you have it bad?  I'm what, turn 7?  I'm already antsy to get my hands on this.  I mean, come on, we have a watch bear.  Its a freaking bear!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2009, 11:30:10 pm »

My time zone is AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time), or GMT +10. I live in Australia!
I suspect Doomshifter will be back on after working hours,

Hehe, work. No, I'm on holiday at the moment. I'm just a lazy shit, sleeping in till the late afternoon and then staying up till four in the morning to play DF.

Hopefully if the elves are smart enough, they'll bring me more bears, or at least a breeding pair. Bear cubs, EVERYWHERE.

also, I'm a she

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2009, 12:29:41 am »

also, I'm a she

A girl who is into Dwarf Fortress? That's not possible! :O (It's odd (ironic? Perhaps...damn teachers all "irony is this" and others all "no is that! U r rong lol!" have confused me and I know absolutely fuck all when it comes to recognizing/defining it) that I'm saying this when my best friend (also one of the female gender) likes "watching all the "g"s run around burning. They're all like 'Argfgfgf'. And then I smash them with a broomstick (modded war hammer). Hee.")

My post has been edited appropriately.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 12:31:30 am by Alexei403 »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2009, 01:18:02 am »

>w> Hey, I know at least three other girls who are into DF (Given, I'm the only one that's actually on this forum that I know of, but hey). I ran into this problem when I was working on my Pokemon mod. Vester expressed her sympathy and told me she knows how I feel.

Ah well. Not like it matters that much ^^ I'm a super nerdy person.

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2009, 01:22:42 am »

>w> Hey, I know at least three other girls who are into DF (Given, I'm the only one that's actually on this forum that I know of, but hey). I ran into this problem when I was working on my Pokemon mod. Vester expressed her sympathy and told me she knows how I feel.

Ah well. Not like it matters that much ^^ I'm a super nerdy person.

Heh. I wouldn't call my friend "nerdy", but she does tend to like a lot of things one wouldn't typically expect a girl to enjoy. Like, for example, Dwarf Fortress. :D (Doesn't have a clue how to play, but she likes watching for some reason. No idea why, especially since I'm using the original ASCII graphics, but whatever)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2009, 01:42:49 am »

I can't stand the graphics sets. The ASCII is easier to read for me. OKAY, list of nerdy things:
Avid Warhammer 40K fan. I have Tyranids and Orks.
I play Dark Heresy (40K pen+paper RPG)
I spend most of my time at home, on my computer.
3/4 of the books I own are non-fiction, and 3/4 of those are history books.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2009, 01:51:39 am »

3rd of Hematite, 203. Early Summer.

Our carpenter finished his work! Tilesh Ríbar, he called it, which translates to 'The Trusses of Homage'. It's a Birchen casket, with an image of three waves on the front. I hope this isn't a bad omen... I sure hope we aren't anywhere near an ocean! Haha.

In honour of my own rulership here, I assigned it to be built for my use in the afterlife. Erith is now back to work on beds, and I must say that all the work he is doing is rather nice!

13th of Hematite, 203.

The wall is going well! Inner and outer sections are complete. I'm flooring it, and then I will roof it.

17th of Hematite, 203.
All hail! Deinol has become a legendary miner.

22nd of Hematite, 203.

My far superior flooding system for some large underground farmland is nearly ready for action! One floodgate still needs to be placed, and both of these connected to mechanisms before we can use it.

4th of Malachite, 203.

Began work on larger meeting/dining room, so I could house more dwarves and widen the choked pathways!

6th of Malachite, 203.
So, I was talking to Deinol today, and...

No WONDER he gave me this job! I'm so happy!

((Just a note here, I had NO IDEA THIS HAPPENED. I went to see how I was doing, and then I noticed I was in love, and then I noticed... hehe..))

20th of Malachite, 203.
Not much happened lately, but I do have some notes.
-The wall is finished, except for the roof.
-The chamber is almost ready to flood.
-We ran out of wood.
-My tomb is coming along nicely. It even has engravings of my coffin!
-The new dining room is up and running.

4th of Galena, 203.
The dining room is all carved out, tables and chairs are being moved inside, and all the walls and floors are being smoothed.

15th of Galena, 203.
Warm rock? Rith, the miner, tells us that this may mean that there is magma around here! I can only hope that we've found a vein of the mountain's blood, so we can start metalworking!

23rd of Galena, 203.
My wall! MY BEAUTIFUL WALL IS COMPLETE!
I am overjoyed! I might make some modifications to it, too. All those useless migrant workers need something to do!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:56:07 am by Doomshifter »

apeiron12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2009, 03:00:07 am »

I'll take a turn. I really think that webpage is handy btw!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19