Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: A Line of Dwarves  (Read 16969 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: A Line of Dwarves
« Reply #180 on: February 05, 2010, 03:23:11 am »

Return to Boltnarrows - Turn 13, Horror edition!

With a crackle of lightning and a dark storm brewing overhead, a strange banging can be heard from within the dark confines of that long forgotten tomb, the tomb of the mechanic who led for the second year. The artifact wooden coffin, surrounded by wood and with a picture of waves, The Trusses of Homage. This was the source of the noise. But, it's destined occupant had been crushed in an unfortunate drawbridge accident! What could be in there? Goodness knows... but...

A strange feeling overcame the previous ruler, Banana. He knew he must step down from his position, and allowed a mysterious force to guide in his wake. This force was unpleased at the state of the fortress in it's absence. After all, it was hard to watch from a coffin, especially if you don't have a body. Out from Tilesh Ribar, that birchen casket, burst the spirit of Doom, mechanic and ruler!

There is an ominous roll of thunder...

(( I just opened the game, and thought y'all deserve a teaser. Here ya go. ))
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 03:32:13 am by Doomshifter »
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 06, 2010, 12:52:49 am »

- Only one season! Fun already! -

1ST OF GRANITE
I have been revived! At the end of the thirteenth cycle, during a lightning storm, inside an artifact coffin. My spirit was plucked from the heavens and once again I am given (some sort of) form, by Edim's  charity and lunar glow! I float among my fellow dwarves once more, and issue my commands.

I look over my returned domain and decide that honestly, everything is going well. Though, I am displeased at the fact that I can't find my way around. Falling asleep for a few years is really not that beneficial!

As for plans, if there's anything that the afterlife has taught me, it's that the gods do actually care about appearances. They just don't want to tell you. So, in glory of the great god Edim, god of Charity and the Moon, I am making him a temple, deep underground. Somewhere near Banana's tomb.

4TH OF GRANITE
Those traps! Those dreadful traps that I kludged in myself, still protecting this fortress?! This is insanity! I'll have them torn up and replaced immediately with weapon traps.

14TH OF GRANITE

Elves. How nostalgic! Did I not once rejoice at the (booze that the) elves (brought with them) the first time they came? Maybe for old time's sake I'll steal everything they have.

Disregard that. I wonder if maybe I should just kill them dead?
Oh, what's that elves? You literally have nothing for me except for wood and cloth? Crush you with a ceiling you say? Why, I'd be happy to oblige!

24TH OF GRANITE
Elf crusher is nearly complete. Elves are foolishly standing under it. Maybe they think I'm making them a shade-cloth?

26TH OF GRANITE
One more mechanism, and those elves are pancakes! I wonder how I'll get my dwarves out of the way though...
27TH
Ordered everyone inside. Pull the lever, gentledwarf

Whoops

Totally worth it. I'm evil, after all.
A wood burner fell over onto a stone trap, along with an archer (But they deserved it. They're crossbowdwarves in denial!). Also, it pierced a hole into the store room below, fortunately only knocking some poor civilian unconscious. We now have a friendly muskox standing around. It was probably the only survivor.

10TH OF SLATE
Double whoops.

17TH OF SLATE
Many good things are happening.
-Booze production is restarting after a massive lack of barrels.
-Barrel production is starting due to a massive lack of barrels.
-A new lockable depot is nearly finished, ready for any unwanted traders to go insane and then be shot at by the military.
-The temple of Edim is nearly complete, including image of a coin (symbolising charity) and a picture of a half-moon (symbolising the moon).

23RD OF SLATE
A brewer becomes secretive and runs off. I guess she's got some ideas brewing!
What, even the undead can make bad puns. Don't give me that look.

She took a craftdwarf's shop. Great, she's going to make something USELESS.

2ND OF FELSITE
After a long wait, the secretive dwarf is now brewing up a storm! (Haha, geddit?)
She took a long, long list of items.

6TH OF FELSITE
The brewer finished working, holding aloft Fadedshimmered the Sacks of Attacking, a turtle shell idol. Woop de doo.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also -
Migrants. Curse them.

1 Gem Cutter
4 Peasants
1 Bowyer
1 Animal Caretaker
1 Pump Operator
2 Children (Neither of which have a father...!)

All in all, 10 dwarves. Bringing our population to 151.

14TH OF FELSITE
Remember when I mentioned that booze problem?
My stocks now read 27 drinks. Stupid brewers! Where are my piles of booze, by Edim's charity!

21ST OF FELSITE
My new depot has been completed! Efficient disposal of unwanted traders. One merely pulls the lever to close the floodgates, waits for madness to set in, and sends archers to open fire upon the more aggressive ones through the side fortifications and (if you wish) the roof, which is retractable.

Drinks are down to 16, despite the brewers working their hardest. Temple to Edim is nearly finished. Also

It's glad to see those tree-huggers serving a purpose.

1ST OF HEMATITE
It is now summer. The temple is not yet complete, but I await whatever traders should come. They better hope they appease me, or they shall be locked within the confines of my new merchant-trap!

-- Well, that's spring over. Took me long enough, haha. I'll work on summer soon. --
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:30:19 am by Doomshifter »
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 06, 2010, 09:19:33 am »

23RD OF SLATE
A brewer becomes secretive and runs off. I guess she's got some ideas brewing!
What, even the undead can make bad puns. Don't give me that look.

She took a craftdwarf's shop. Great, she's going to make something USELESS.

I loled
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 07, 2010, 04:24:56 am »

-- Summer so far --

3RD OF HEMATITE
Edim's coin of charity is complete. I might put some statues in there too...

14TH OF HEMATITE
Edim's crescent moon is complete. It is a copper disk with an alunite moon carved on, with a cinnabar circle inside it!

16TH OF HEMATITE
A siege? In my fortress?

It's more likely than you think! So, would anyone like to tell me why the humans are here?
Let's take a look at the spirits that wander these halls...

Well, that would explain it. Anyway.
TO ARMS, DWARVES!

17TH OF HEMATITE
For some reason, my champions want to run off somewhere. The humans aren't even over there, stupid idiots!
Oh, and Banana has been re-elected. Congratulations, you fruity bastard. Also, Banana has bought out the three shops I made. Edim damn it, Banana. Calm down. Stop telling me to make you shit!

18TH OF HEMATITE
Humans refuse to move. I have sent a sacrifice, an acolyte of Edim that nobody likes. Maybe his pet bull will save his ass.

21ST OF HEMATITE

Well, that didn't work. The humans are still sitting there, no worse for wear. AH WELL. You will (probably not) be remembered, Bomrek Lisatolon.

24TH OF HEMATITE
Maybe I should just send the archers over there. I mean, we can get new ones, right? After all, even in death I still serve!

With these thoughts in mind, I have mobilised the military. Death or glory!
Of course, with this proclamation, two archers have hurriedly rushed off to fill their bellies, and one complained they were tired. Well, the leader is still out there, and he's a grand master! Not to mention, the champions are providing a defensive buffer.

27TH OF HEMATITE
Army is slowly creeping closer. Humans haven't noticed yet.

28TH OF HEMATITE
Battle begins. Stupid archer dies because he only brought a single iron bolt. Champions are running away for no reason. The other archers finally arrive. BY EDIM THIS IS SILLY.

2ND OF MALACHITE
A royal guard wandered over to the humans. Why? Because he wanted to die.
Oh wait. Make that two. And a fortress guard. What the hell.

4TH OF MALACHITE
I can only watch in horror as the fortress guards throw themselves at the humans. What for?! Have I not already told you all that the clothing of the fallen is forbidden?! Stop right there, I'm the only undead allowed here! One got away before realising he couldn't take what he came for, and the other... the other ducked the first volley of bolts. The second, I cannot account for.

5TH OF MALACHITE
So far the body count is:
Dwarves - 6
Humans - 3
The humans haven't even halfway emptied their quivers. Won't they just LEAVE?!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 06:56:45 am by Doomshifter »

deinol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 07, 2010, 03:36:11 pm »

I keep thinking we should build a network of tunnels and defense towers along the perimeter. You'd have to wait until after the siege to make this happen though. We probably could use more of an army as well.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2010, 01:07:43 am »

I think I might have to cut this year short a bit, what with my low FPS and the lack of time I have to do stuff (What with my homework and school). If I can get it finished tonight, I'll have finished my year. If not, I'll hand it off before Spring's break.

BTW, when I have writing like -writing-, it means there's meant to be a picture there =3

EDIT: Of course, goodness knows I might just end up destroying Boltnarrows by accident. I've never played such an advanced fortress before! I'll try to keep it alive, promise~

---
11TH OF MALACHITE
I sent all the warriors in at once. The archers are trading fire with the humans while the champions charge forward, taking out their fighters. It's looking good so far...

12TH OF MALACHITE
Victory! We have won! The soldiers are fine, a little banged up, except for Morul Truthlabors, who has a mangled lung. To be honest, he actually doesn't seem to be doing THAT bad...

Disregard that. As night fell, his fellow soldiers watched the breath leave his lungs finally. He looked almost mystified as to why I was watching him, but smiled. He waved as he flew into the ground, off to a dwarven heaven.

14TH OF MALACHITE
I've decided that we should have a network of tunnels and military nodes around the place. They have deep tunnels underground that can be expanded into more stock room, military storage and larger barracks.

25TH OF MALACHITE
This does not bode well.

Fortunately, he only has one iron bolt. How bad can it be?

Well, he shot a peasant and then managed to send him flying away. The champions finally woke up and put him down though. It turns out the final blow was made by his friend and fellow archer, who was nearby practising. Such sad things happen...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 05:19:29 am by Doomshifter »

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2010, 12:48:44 pm »

ooh i cant wait till my turn again ;D

deinol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2010, 12:55:08 pm »

ooh i cant wait till my turn again ;D

We need to start signups again. Right now the list of players is Xieg (when they get back to the internet) and ... nobody. Who wants another turn? Anybody want to pimp our game elsewhere? Some new blood would be cool too.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2010, 04:13:27 pm »

NOTE TO THREAD-PEOPLES: I get off school early today. I'm going to play as much of boltnarrows as I can tonight and then hand it over.
---

17TH OF GALENA
Work on military hubs goes well. Fortified walls are in place and access tunnels are being dug out and cleared of stone as I write. Roofs are being placed over the top to prevent entry from anything that might have wings.

Also, the booze industry has started back up again! By limiting the barrels that are getting claimed to be filled with a single plump helmet, I have let iron, lead and copper be turned into barrels. Our booze is slowly working it's way up.

The countess consort wants rings. The bonecarver just made a ton of crafts, but he won't make rings, no matter how much I plague his mind with my ghostly self.

24TH OF GALENA
Spoke to the philosopher. Feb Pastpaddle is his name, though he prefers I just call him Feb. Apparently he knew I was there the whole while, secretly pulling strings. He thanked me for the nice room I gave him, and the lovely tomb I made for him upon Edim's coin (despite being a follower of Izkil.) before turning to his tomb. Feb had recently taken to staring at his aluminum sarcophagus. Perhaps he ponders death? If he really did, Feb would simply ask me what it's like. Maybe he ponders something else... a mysterious man, he is.

1ST OF LIMESTONE
Autumn has come. Soon the dwarven traders will roll into Boltsnarrow with their wagons and wares. We will be ready with our masterfully made bone crafts and narrow/large unusable items. Here is an overview of the fortress so far.

As you can see, our booze problem is (very slowly) being alleviated. I hope to have it (somewhat) under control before Edim deems I have spent too much time on this earth.

5TH OF LIMESTONE
Began work on a secret project. It involves a sign of mastery over nature that I learnt from my time in the afterlife.

8TH OF LIMESTONE
As I oversee my symbol, I watched Deinol carve away at the soft dirt. He looked mournful. If only I could tell him I was here, if only he could know that his love was alive! Poor guy...

9TH OF LIMESTONE
Mechanic becomes fay. Wonder what he'll make? Perhaps I can use it for something Fun.

16TH OF LIMESTONE
Dwarven traders arrived from the mountainhomes. Good! Let's hope they brought some wood, or barrels, or booze! Preferably all three!

17TH OF LIMESTONE
A mechanical mystery has gained power! The gears are definitely turning in Zefon's head! He's probably got it all machined out.... Okay, I'll stop.

Here's a list of what Zefon is using. Interesting!

20TH OF LIMESTONE
Lór Omshit, "The Tools of Suffering", a basalt mechanisms. Very fancy. It shall probably be put to use making people suffer. In fact... that gives me an idea...

24TH OF LIMESTONE
Bought all of the wood, barrels and booze that the traders carried, as well as some cheese.

26TH OF LIMESTONE
My rune of natural dominance has been completed! I shall move some creatures inside shortly.
If you're curious, here's an engraving of it.

21ST OF SANDSTONE
A dwarf became a legendary champion, bringing our champion count up to 12. Not much has happened. My torture pit (with The Tools of Suffering being the centrepiece) is nearly ready for it's test run!

28TH OF SANDSTONE
The Pit of Suffering is complete! With the hammerer, recently renamed as the Punisher, as it's guiding force, it will slowly stake it's inhabitants to death with wooden spikes! Inefficient and slow! It's utterly dwarven!

2ND OF TIMBER
The mechanisms are being difficult on the Pit, so I'm making some adjustments. In the meantime, some migrants arrived!

1 Herbalist
1 Metalsmith
3 Peasants
1 Gem Setter
1 Animal Trainer
1 Farmer
1 Fishery Worker

13TH OF TIMBER
Goblin was being difficult and refused to step on the spikes, regardless of how much we shouted at the bastard. Instead, we shot him. On the plus side, our marksdwarf finally earned a title! Good on him. With our other goblin, I've opted to put some useless animals in with him. It's a wrestler, so we should be able to get them to fight and strengthen him up. No point in having an easily spiked goblin!

18TH OF TIMBER
Goblin wrestler nearly dies at the hand of a puppy and two groundhogs; actually dies to the pointy end of a retracting spike.

25TH OF TIMBER
The pit is an utter bloodbath. I chucked a bunch of puppies and foals in there, as well as a goblin bowman with no arrows. He beat up a few before a foal trampled him. Then I decided to spike a few animals for the heck of it. Here comes the real challenge: chucking MORE goblins in the pit!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 06:50:37 am by Doomshifter »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2010, 06:59:30 am »

1ST OF MOONSTONE
Winter has arrived. A goblin wrestler nearly escaped, but was pushed back into the gore-filled pit. The bowman I pushed inside (With his arrows this time!) killed nearly all the animals children before the Punisher began his work.

3RD OF MOONSTONE
I can hear him! I can hear Edim calling to me, telling me to return to the land of the dead... I guess my time as a ruler is now over! Obviously his charity allowed me to finish all I wished to before giving this back to the hands of the living.

Here is Boltsnarrow at the end of my reign. Maybe I'll take another shot at handling the reins someday, but for now I must return to my tomb, to my death.

Our booze amounts are steadily rising, Military nodes ALPHA, BETA and THETA are finished, Edim's Temple is finished, the nature dominance rune is complete, the killing pit is functional, there's more than enough food and booze to survive and the merchant-killer is ready for the next wave of elves.

So long, and I hope to meet you again, Boltsnarrow!

---
So, I've decided to hand over the save to whoever is next. As promised, I'm packing it up at the end of the night.
Edim's temple hotkey is F7
Alpha node is SHIFT+F1
Beta node is SHIFT+F2
Theta node is SHIFT+F3

Our military is perfectly fine, for now. Might want to expand it.
We need more metal.
We have enough wood to last forever, and the next caravan will bring just as much.
Might want to improve my kill-pit.

The save is here.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:19:07 am by Doomshifter »

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2010, 12:41:53 pm »

I could go for another turn

deinol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2010, 01:08:23 pm »

I could go for another turn

Since it doesn't look like Xieg is back yet why don't you go ahead.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2010, 01:18:15 pm »

downloading now

deinol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2010, 01:20:01 pm »

downloading now

Dooms didn't finish her year, so go ahead and do a year and a couple months to get us back to a spring start.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 11, 2010, 05:25:20 pm »

crap, uh....

some family issues have come up, so i'm not going to be able to take my turn. sorry
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19