Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Nuances (odd helpful things discovered)  (Read 9550 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Nuances (odd helpful things discovered)
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 08:54:20 pm »

Clothing does too, up to the point where it bursts into flame.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 01:34:50 am »

Is there something that will lead to smoking and not burning?

This is what happened to my drakeling (self-made race) after fighting a dragon. I had no clothes that were flammable OR on fire! I was very confused by this, because wherever I would go, the smoke would follow, until I (T)raveled, when the problem went away, as it tends to.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 01:41:07 am »

Your character can catch on fire too.  Though usually that's the point where you die if you don't have a high heat damage point.  My Dracon do that as well.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 11:54:28 pm »

Speaking of avoiding frostbite, how much does clothing and clothing quality affect that? I remember that exploring the dark fortress and chasm in the north east of Traps and Attractions was nigh impossible because of how quickly I froze. Eyes are some of the first things to be damaged, and exploring is very slow going once you've lost your eye sight.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 07:42:09 am »

Your character can catch on fire too.  Though usually that's the point where you die if you don't have a high heat damage point.  My Dracon do that as well.

So... That means that my drakelings are nigh (or completely immune) to ordinary fire? Maybe I need to look up the dwarven tempurature scales...
Dev-status:

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 10:48:39 am »

I assumed they were intended that way,  if not something might be screwy. And as far as I know nobody knows the actual values [STANDARD_FLESH] plugs in for temperature.  If your looking for standard heat values with only one or two things different putting standard flesh first in the raw then adding the values that you want changed underneath should keep standard dwarf values for everything except what you specifically changed.

Speaking of avoiding frostbite, how much does clothing and clothing quality affect that?

I hope somebody else knows this because I wonder as well.  I haven't been able to determine any more than confirming different clothing has an effect.  I made a special leather (firefox leather) once that was supposed to have a fixedtemp high enough to prevent frostbite if you had some, but it didn't work as expected for unknown reasons.   

I think clothing's temperature protection has something to do with coverage.  Possibly layer size as well, since that would explain why higher numbers are used when it's most obvious purpose(to determine how much of an item you can wear in one spot) could have been handled with smaller numbers.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 11:19:42 am »

Speaking of avoiding frostbite, how much does clothing and clothing quality affect that?

I hope somebody else knows this because I wonder as well.  I haven't been able to determine any more than confirming different clothing has an effect.  I made a special leather (firefox leather) once that was supposed to have a fixedtemp high enough to prevent frostbite if you had some, but it didn't work as expected for unknown reasons.  

I think clothing's temperature protection has something to do with coverage.  Possibly layer size as well, since that would explain why higher numbers are used when it's most obvious purpose(to determine how much of an item you can wear in one spot) could have been handled with smaller numbers.

From what I have found, something that has a high tempurature will not relay that tempurature unto anything with which it comes in contact, or close proximity, lest its high tempurature were to cause a metamorphic change in the object/creature touched. Essentially, the oject's tempurature can only be used to ignite/boil/etcetera other objects in close proximity, rather than warm them.

As per the layering aspect of clothing, I have been wondering much the same.
Dev-status:

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 03:36:01 am »

From what I have found, something that has a high tempurature will not relay that tempurature unto anything with which it comes in contact, or close proximity, lest its high tempurature were to cause a metamorphic change in the object/creature touched. Essentially, the oject's tempurature can only be used to ignite/boil/etcetera other objects in close proximity, rather than warm them.
I had a high fixed temp item held in my hand and after some time I was blistering (but not burning). I stuffed it into a burnproof container and held that container, but after some more time I was blistering again. So I think the temperature does spread, but slowly. It also seems to take into account the relative masses and specific heat of the objects. But if the container is made of a (lower) fixed_temp material, it will contain the heat within. Also, dropping and picking up the hot item prevented further blistering for some time.

Here is a relevant post of mine (should have posted it here probably):
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=47444.0
It may also help with setting fires where there's no vegetation.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 03:38:09 am by Murphy »

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 03:45:22 am »

Terrifying glaciers are excellent places to find missile weapons. Skeletal polar bears leave "polar bear bones (10)" and skeletal sasquatches leave "sasquatch bones (9)". If you're like me and think that having 200 individual small rocks in your inventory is annoying...
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 03:54:59 am »

I remember me doing something like this. I was trying to set this human town on fire and my clothes caught on fire so I took it off and dropped them so now my character is half naked and there's a kid just watching me,So I killed that kid and stole his clothes and ran.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 06:32:53 am »

when blood and vomit mix you get bloody vomit that cant be frozen,and you can drink.

stuck in weapons can be wrestled out of their hands, don't take them out do it later.

backpacks and quivers can store a lot of liquids.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 06:40:19 am »

I beat an Orc Axe Lord that way once. He slashed me in the lower body, and his axe got embedded. I pulled away, gained possession, hacked at him until he was unconscious, then broke his neck (added [JOINT] to the Neck part, which has gotten me killed every time a titan or something gets me in a headlock).
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 09:59:06 am »

One thing everyone should know is that wrestling an unconscious or helpless opponent grants XP, but striking (with a weapon or not) doesn't grant any.  I've been trying to quantify exactly what denies you attacking XP, and it seems to be pretty strict.  Even a stunned opponent (though they can still attack) doesn't seem to give you any XP when you strike them.  So a lot of times, the best approach to combat, XP-wise, is to attack until they pass out, make close combat your default attack, then wrestle until they die.  Less micromanaging than trying to avoid strangling them.

Oh, and going prone makes you much harder to hit with ranged attacks.  A lot of times, you can crawl up to a bowman and kill him, without being hit.  It's risky, though.  A very high wrestling skill probably gives you a better dodge chance while standing.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:09:53 am by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 12:24:59 pm »

sneak dont go prone

prone is a lot slower and your attackers are at 2X on the damage formula.

sneaking makes you harder to spot letting you get closer and when spoted you leave sneak back to full speed.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 03:21:52 pm »

Managed to figure out exactly when the game does and doesn't give XP for melee attacks.  With a standing opponent, you get XP.  If it's prone, you don't.  So once someone's legs are broken, they're only good for wrestling practice.

And sneaking reduces speed exactly as much as going prone, and doesn't work at all if the enemy is already shooting at you.  Being prone works wonders when your wrestling isn't that good, and arrows are coming out of nowhere.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!
Pages: 1 [2] 3