Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: df on a netbook  (Read 6985 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: df on a netbook
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2009, 06:59:09 am »

Ram usage comparison, yay :P

68Mb total with Firefox running :)

God damn, my router* uses more ram than that. Though that mostly seems to be bind's fault.

*Yes, I built my own router
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 07:01:24 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2009, 07:03:45 am »

God damn, my router* uses more ram than that. Though that mostly seems to be bind's fault.

I assume software and not a hardware router. If you built a hardware router I'm suitably impressed :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2009, 10:16:43 am »

I have everything compiled* with the -Os compile flag, which cuts down on ram usage a fair bit.
I never understood routing under Linux :-\ tried making a wireless router out of my netbook once and failed.

*Yes, I use Gentoo

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2009, 07:14:06 pm »

I assume software and not a hardware router. If you built a hardware router I'm suitably impressed :)
Mini-itx motherboard, tri- gigabit ethernet port expansion module (plus one onboard), 512MB low profile ram, 4GB high-speed CF card in a mountable CF->mini-IDE adapter, 60W DC psu all in a case that looks like this. Runs linux. Running iptables, bind, dhcpd, and whatever else was necessary to get it in a state to replace my netgear home router that kept dying on me (which I now use as a wireless AP).
EDIT: One of the goals when building it was "no moving parts". No fans, no spinning disk; which is why I used a CF card. It should be much more reliable this way.

I also have a fileserver, where I modded a pair of Athlon XP cpus (conductive paint across laser cuts) to get myself a cheap pair of Athlon MPs to put in it. I managed to boot it up with the two cpus running at wildly different frequencies once (2GHz and 600MHz) which surprisingly worked quite well (confused the hell out of the CS:S server I was running on it at the time though, it kept thinking time had lept backwards every time it got moved onto the slower chip).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 07:17:59 pm by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

binhex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2009, 10:13:41 am »

I'll post an update when I get a larger fortress on the go. Might be a little while before I get there but I'll let you guys know.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2009, 10:49:54 am »

Sweet.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2009, 12:59:58 pm »

Id just like to update that iv actually gotten my eee pc now and i will be testing df in the following days.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

pluckcitizen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2009, 02:01:19 pm »

DF runs perfectly fine on my eee PC 1000HE. With tileset and mods.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2009, 02:02:20 pm »

My sisters just recently got netbooks. Acer brand (Aspire One I believe.); I didn't get to check the stats of them out, so I don't have exact specs of either one.

If I can successfully get them interested in DF; I gotta be sure if they can play it on their machines. With the settings and everything as it is, I can easily run Doom on them, as a sort of measure, that is.

But yeah, let's hope. If I can get them hooked, hello homemade succession fort (when it gets that far). Might have to go nano-fort just in case.

I can probably have the program and saves on a shared network drive.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 11:59:18 am by Itnetlolor »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2009, 02:02:52 pm »

I find threads like this absolutely hilarious in conjunction with the threads where guys with i7 920s are complaining about getting "0 fps" on their maps where they are attempting to drain oceans or other stupid crap and DF needs multi-threading NOW.

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Unus volatilis angelus, aeria gloriis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2009, 06:10:12 pm »

agreed. Because DF has ascii or tileset graphics they expect it to be a simplistic game that isnt cpu intensive.

This always causes me much amusement.

Sorry for the offtopic! :P
Creator of the Chaos Reigns and Age of Heroes modifications.

Developer of the Adventurer Roleplaying game system, assistance required!

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46859.0

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2009, 06:39:52 pm »

I didnt think it was off topic? Anyways testing shortly.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2009, 07:20:45 pm »

Last time I tryed DF on my 1000he, the main menu was too slow to use.
Thinking back though I probebly left it on power-saver, which underclocks the CPU ALOT
Pages: 1 2 [3]