Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pretty good donation month !  (Read 1522 times)

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pretty good donation month !
« on: December 04, 2009, 12:07:07 pm »

I have just read the monthly report ! Wow, that was a pretty good month. I am very pleased to see that people are supporting since a few years that kind of work !
DF is really halway betwenn game and some kind of art. And Tarn is pushing the limits of what simulation games and experimenting quite far.

Really, I trully believe that this game is one of the major works in gaming history. Its present and future influence is probably much higher than its actual fame and number of players. 

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
Re: Pretty good donation month !
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 12:21:08 pm »

Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 12:54:48 pm »

DF is really halfway between game and some kind of art.

It's true. Someone should get a grant for Toady. ;)

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 03:00:48 pm »

I wonder what the number of players actually is...

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 05:48:28 pm »

Well I bet it is more than 569 since that is the number of total voters in the DF talk#5 thread
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=44805.0

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 06:00:30 pm »

Well I bet it is more than 569 since that is the number of total voters in the DF talk#5 thread
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=44805.0

570, as I didn't vote. :D

I think in one of the interviews Toady did, he estimated it by looking at the number of downloads in the first few days after a (major) release.  It was like 20,000, IIRC.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 10:07:11 pm »

I think in one of the interviews Toady did, he estimated it by looking at the number of downloads in the first few days after a (major) release.  It was like 20,000, IIRC.

Heh, I remember that. After the original 3D release we basically floored Toady's server and he had to grab a bunch of volunteers to mirror it.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 05:40:38 pm »

That might wind up being a concern with the new release - a LOT of people are looking forward to it, I think(I sure am). Maybe a few mirrors could be arranged, or it could be set up on torrent?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 03:07:51 am »

I've thought about making a DF torrent, but the problem would be that as soon as a new version (read: bug fix) comes out, the torrent is obsolete.

If we wanted to set up a DF torrent, the thing to do would be to include historical versions, say perhaps the first public release, the last 2D version, and the "current" 40d version. Then toss in some more goodies, like tutorials, epic stories (mostly thinking of Boatmurdred and the origin of Urist, but i'm sure there are plenty of others), possibly some interesting saves. Oh, and a few popular tilesets/gfx packs.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 03:16:14 am »

Maybe a few mirrors could be arranged, or it could be set up on torrent?
Take a look at the download page and you'll see mirrors:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Actually, he has something like 3-5 mirror sites the last I heard; he rotates the ones actually in use (shown on the download page) with each DF release.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 09:53:33 pm »

I really like the idea of a DF torrent, and I'd be glad to make one, actually. I like Solar's idea alot. Anyone have any idea of which graphic packs/stories to include in it? For the DF versions, 40d# and the last 2D version should be enough, but it'd be cool to fit other stuff in there, too. Wiki articles and the tutorial videos, maybe?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 12:43:29 am »

I'd only intended it as a short-term method to ease the server burden immediately after the launch of a new release, honestly...
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 12:46:26 am »

I'd only intended it as a short-term method to ease the server burden immediately after the launch of a new release, honestly...
Yeah that's what some of the big MMOs are doing, releasing the content through a torrent.
Do anyone know if the forum lies on the same server as the dwarf fortress downloads? Because if it do, we wouldn't be able to organize a torrent to lighten the weight, as the forum would go down on release-day as well...
Om Nom nom nom nom

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 12:48:31 am »

Yeah that's what some of the big MMOs are doing, releasing the content through a torrent.
Do anyone know if the forum lies on the same server as the dwarf fortress downloads? Because if it do, we wouldn't be able to organize a torrent to lighten the weight, as the forum would go down on release-day as well...

I think it might be since when the forum is acting up, the Bay12 site also acts up.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 12:53:31 am »

I think it might be since when the forum is acting up, the Bay12 site also acts up.
Damn =/
Toady would have to start one up himself then to maximize the potential..
Om Nom nom nom nom
Pages: [1] 2