Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Invisible Menace! Death Stalks StirredBanners!  (Read 1839 times)

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invisible Menace! Death Stalks StirredBanners!
« on: December 04, 2009, 11:23:34 am »

What the fucking fuck?

Dwarves have begun dropping dead with no apparent cause.

One up in the top-of-the-map barracks/statue garden/meeting zone, where he or she was sleeping.

One in the Legendary Dining Room, where he or she was eating.

One in the Agricultural Complex, where he or she was grabbing a drink fresh from the still.

One in the hallway to the dump (which drops into a chasm), to which he or she was carrying a sub-masterful green glass statue.

One on his or her way to that same hallway, also carrying a sub-masterful green glass statue.

This has all happened within less than a minute.

There is one other dwarf who canceled a task due to injury but didn't die.  This dwarf has a light gray to Upper Body, a yellow to Head, Right Upper Leg, Nose, Neck, and Upper Spine, a red to Left Upper Arm and Brain (!!) and is winded.  She is located in the open-to-air passage out from the Trade Depot to one of the map edges (essentially a canyon carved out by the dwarves).  she seems to have just now dropped her pick and there is a Spattering of Blood on an adjacent tile.

The lines in my Announcement Log go like this.

Lor Kekimsarvesh, Bowyer cancels Sleep: Resting injury
Lor Kekimsarvesh cancels Detail Floor: Resting injury
Lor Kekimsarvesh, Bowyer has been struck down
Zon Bidokzon, Glassmaker cancels Eat: Unconscious
Zon Bidokzon, Glassmaker has bled to death
Reg Zefonerith, Clothier cancels Dump Item: Too injured
Reg Zefonerith, Clothier has been struck down
Melbil Lukamost, Blacksmith cancels Detail Floor: Too injured
Geshud Kadoloddom, Glassmaker cancels Dump Item: Too injured
Geshud Kadoloddom, Glassmaker has bled to death
Rakust Siguntat, Metalsmith cancels drink: Unconscious
Rakust Siguntat, Metalsmith has bled to death

There are no threats on the Units list.  Other than a couple of groundhogs down (or up) on the ground, the only hostile wild animals are contained in the sealed-off magma pipe & underground pool.  There is no funhouse on this map.

The fortress has been running for seven years and no previous deaths were at all mysterious.  Prior to the sudden passing of those five dwarves, the population was 217.  It is 12th Timber, 207, Late Autumn.

I am playing df_28_181_40d with no mods.

Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on before I unpause the game and watch more dwarves die of some mysterious hemorrhagic fever?

Edit: no tantrumming dwarves and the Captain of the Guard position remains vacant.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 11:25:05 am by loser »
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Invisible Menace! Death Stalks StirredBanners!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 11:26:27 am »

Have you checked the justice screen? The last time something like this happened to me it was because the newly appointed Baron had banned the export of rings after I had traded with the traders. The tantrum spiral was Fun.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 11:32:22 am »

Have you checked the justice screen? The last time something like this happened to me it was because the newly appointed Baron had banned the export of rings after I had traded with the traders. The tantrum spiral was Fun.
There are a whole hell of a lot of violations on the Justice Screen.   The most awesome is the murder of the Countess Consort, the only murder so far.

Two things, though:

1.  Without a Captain of the Guard, no punishments should be administered.

2.  The events were just too ...

We interrupt this reply with breaking news.

Apparently someone got assigned to the Fortress Guard, somehow, and has gone Brutal Batman on the corruption plaguing Gotham.

Must have hit the wrong keys on the wrong interface mode or something.  Not sure how that happened, but it's pretty clear, now.

Thanks, Elizar.  You got it.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 12:52:42 pm »

Hahahaha, poor citizens of gotham.  I feel for them.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 06:19:56 pm »

Name a dwarf the joker
name him!
Have him the worst offender that hasnt been killed yet!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 07:16:34 pm »

Either that, or goblins started a ninja-training program. Or you have a spy. Or they are all emo and cut themselves.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 07:33:12 pm »

Either that, or goblins started a ninja-training program. Or you have a spy. Or they are all emo and cut themselves.

New creature idea...
Invisible creatures that can lock pick and are trap immune.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 08:05:50 pm »

So what was the cause? Something banned?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 09:52:39 pm »

New creature idea...
*coughKoboldscough*
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 09:55:21 pm »

"Urist McGuard has been estatic lately. He has murdered several dwarfs with nothing but his bare hands lately."
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 10:08:52 pm »

New creature idea...
*coughKoboldscough*
THAT CAN KILL YOUR DWARVES IN ONE HIT.
And actively seek to do so.
A bit of a recharge time for their attack if i can make it like that.
---

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 10:13:40 pm »

One question, if he actually kills someone, isn't he an offender himself? Punishment must be quite severe for such an offender. (I remember having my CotG locked in a cell for 300 day for a single murder)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 10:25:57 pm »

Pretty sure Fortress Guards aren't charged for murder if they happen to beat somebody to death while punishing them (just like soldiers are never guilty of murder if they accidentally kill their sparring partner), and if your Captain of the Guard isn't actually a Fortress Guard (he doesn't have to be one - in the last several forts I've played, I made him my Strand Extractor), I wouldn't expect him to be beating criminals.

Now, if your Captain of the Guard threw a tantrum and killed somebody, then he'd definitely be guilty of murder.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 10:33:57 pm »

I love it.  You accidentally turned a random Dwarf into Batman.  Get that Dwarf a Bat Leather Cape, Tunic, Cap, Pants, and Boots pronto!  Pity there's no Mask clothing, though I suppose that could get... disturbing.  Especially if the Dungeon Master had a preference for those as well as cloaks.
Sanity is for the weak.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 02:06:56 am »

I could have sworn masks exist.

I don't think Dorfs get them, though.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: [1] 2