Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What do you look for in a new location?  (Read 1072 times)

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do you look for in a new location?
« on: December 04, 2009, 03:11:03 am »

Lately I have been looking for a site with sand, water, lava, flux and that magma proof stone.  Well double layers of obsidian would work too.
I want to make a cast obsidian block for my dorf to live in... but I am caught up on the embark map =/

Anyway what do you look for in a place to call home?

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you look for in a new location?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 03:28:57 am »

I never settle in places with magma because of the framerate drops... So I choose areas with lots of trees and coal. For a water source I almost always settle near a brook since they're safe and don't cause too much lag. I also have something of a gold and platinum fetish :-X

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 04:06:53 am »

I find I nearly always settle on an area that's half mountains, half decently-forested plains, and that I can't go without a magma pipe and brook any more :\

I like having an underground river and partial aquifer too, but mountains/plains/magma/brook is my absolute favourite. Always nice to have sand, too, of course.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 04:18:15 am »

Well..
Depends on the mood im in.

But mostly..
magma PIPES, never a pool, even though the frames drop.
Either a river or an underground river (underground is perfered in places where it would be a easy target for goblin raids or where there is not much forrest above).
Temperture always around cold or temperate, havnt done freezing yet and never want to do hot.
i dont really care about teh enviroment but the more sinistar the better  :D
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 04:50:10 am »

Brook to pollute and some trees to cut down to show those pointy-eared rabbits what I think of their nature-loving codex.

And no magma.

Also, Granite is a must in the layers. I just happen to have granite fetish :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 05:53:04 am »

a flat area, with a magma pipe, and usually a water source, and HFS so i have something to do later down the road.  I actually prefer to have no obsidian layers, as when i have those i have no motivation to make an obsidian farm, which i like to build.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 06:06:29 am »

I find I nearly always settle on an area that's half mountains, half decently-forested plains, and that I can't go without a magma pipe and brook any more :\

I like having an underground river and partial aquifer too, but mountains/plains/magma/brook is my absolute favourite. Always nice to have sand, too, of course.

I got the same taste as you do.  :D

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 08:40:37 am »

I need at least a magma pool; making the charcoal for non-magma forges is just too tedious. Also try to always have sand, and either lots of trees, or underground water so I can grow my own.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 11:31:03 am »

Water, flux and wood at the very least. I like having slopes too; I'm just in the habit of digging horizontally into a hill to start my fortresses, instead of going straight down.

I prefer having magma too, but my current fort doesn't seem to have any: either I forgot to ask for it (been a while since I started it, so I can't remember exactly what I searched for), or I just haven't found it yet, or something went wrong somewhere. I think the game's rubbing it in by giving me massive amounts of bauxite.

I'd like sand too, but I've yet to get a fort that has the stuff.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 12:15:58 pm »

Well, I like to try everything. But my "standard" set up, if I have any, is half-mountain (preferably a high one), a brook and a forest. Temperature and alignment matters less, though more evil is usually more fun. Sometimes I feel like a magma pipe, oftenly I don't. Chasms are always fun.

For my next fort, I shall explore the world of plumbing. So I'm going for a underground river. 
"It's unpossible!"

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 02:07:27 pm »

I dislike finding the cave river and the associated task of pumping it up several levels (since I dislike having the majority of my fort so deep underground), so I tend to go in for brooks. I honestly prefer a small river to a brook because rivers come with river beasts -- which are fun in the game's beginning -- but lately I've been in the mood for mountain features and those are mutually-exclusive with rivers, unfortunately. Of those mountain features, my cares lately have just been 1) chasm or a bottomless pit and 2) HFS. Granted, I don't expect I'll play these forts long enough to go looking for the HFS, but I like to know it's there. The chasm-features are included for the creatures, quick look at a lot of stone layers, and somewhere to dump all the excess water from my projects!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 02:23:15 pm »

Warm, heavily forested areas with sand and preferably a river.  I just scan around for them since they're pretty common.  Finding one without an aquifer can be a pain but those maps are fun too.  I also like desert maps although I've only done a couple so far.  I once found this awesome area that bordered three different desert biomes; one with black sand, one with red sand and one with yellow.  I think I have it uploaded somewhere.  Here it is:  http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7029-dragonskull

Another map I have is at the intersection of three rivers with lots of waterfalls.  I'm always looking out for cool places like this.  Places that don't just have an abundance of resources but also look really cool.  http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7041-orbcomet

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 02:45:56 pm »

I try to find places that have a iron, coal, all sorts of precious metals, magma, and a touch of soil for wood and easy planting.  I did get one fortress that had all that, but that was before I realized that 200 dwarves definently slows down my awesome compy ^_^;  I'm still trying to figure out how to reproduce that kind of luck, except with HFS too :D

Mapleleaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 03:58:27 pm »

Steep mountain ranges, combined with flat land and a stream. Magma is optional, iron ore is everywhere anyway, so no need to look for that.

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 02:18:59 am »

magma pipe, flowing water, no/small aquifer, and bottomless pit.

Everything else is optional for me.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.
Pages: [1] 2