Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Broken Bones  (Read 972 times)

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Broken Bones
« on: December 04, 2009, 02:18:55 am »

My Captain of the Guard broke her leg about three seasons ago while sparring, and still hasn't gotten better. She is Superdwarvenly Tough, Perfectly Agile, and Extremely Strong. The wiki says that a superdwarvenly tough dwarf could get over a broken leg in a day, why is this wound spanning seasons? She doesn't have any other injuries besides it either.
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Broken Bones
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 02:51:15 am »

"Could" get over a broken leg nigh-instantaneously doesn't mean "will" get over a broken leg that quickly. For that, you'd need Morul-level toughness, like Superdwarvenly Tough +45 or somesuch insanity (Superdwarvenly Tough is level 5). Actually, I'm unsure if even that would be enough for a break or mangle, for the reasons I will lay out.

It appears that broken or mangled limbs have a chance to get one level better at the turn of every season. Toughness increases that chance significantly, to the extent where ludicrously tough creatures will almost definately heal from mangled to broken or broken to moderately wounded every season. Less tough creatures (including, probably, your "merely" superdwarvenly tough Captain) don't have a terribly good chance of healing, but what chance they do have means that they will heal eventually.

In the meantime, be glad that your Captain of the Guard is confined to quarters, especially since she's Extremely Strong. Fortress Guards are generally a bad thing, since they're likely to give your other dwarves beatings, and strong Guards are especially bad since those beatings are often fatal.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!