Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Init.txt file question  (Read 1175 times)

Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Init.txt file question
« on: December 03, 2009, 11:24:10 pm »

I recently started a new game and I edited the init.txt file for the population limit to 30. About a year into it I decided to drop that number down to 15. I exited and edited the init.txt file to 15 and then reentered the game. After about a year my population limit is at 23 (I lowered the babies to 0:0 so there has been no birth) all from immigration.

My question is does the game call the init.txt file every time the game is launched or just when you first make your game?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Init.txt file question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 11:30:13 pm »

Init file changes definitely have an effect after world-generation and starting your game.

There might be a delay in the effects of things like population caps, though. Also, population caps might not change the SIZE of immigration waves, just whether or not they happen at all.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:36:16 pm »

If there was an immigration wave queued up before you broke the population limit, the dwarves came. The migration wave size doesn't check the population cap either, so you might get a 40 dwarf wave when you're 1 dwarf short of the cap. It's irritating, but you get used to it.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 11:51:24 pm »

When does it que up the immigration waves? I have a save about 1 hour before the wave comes but I still go over the population cap.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 01:04:17 am »

When does it que up the immigration waves? I have a save about 1 hour before the wave comes but I still go over the population cap.

Immigration is based on change in wealth

You prob ahad enough to push you over the cap you had.

No immigrants shoudl come now though .
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 01:36:28 am »

The mountainhomes will send you immigration waves as long as you're under the cap. Once you're over the cap, they'll stop.

However, the size of the immigration waves are independent of the population cap settings, and is calculated based only on wealth created since the last dwarf caravan. Thus, you could well get a 30 dwarf immigration wave even when your population is at 1 under the cap, and then no more.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 03:43:12 am »

The mountainhomes will send you immigration waves as long as you're under the cap. Once you're over the cap, they'll stop.

However, the size of the immigration waves are independent of the population cap settings, and is calculated based only on wealth created since the last dwarf caravan. Thus, you could well get a 30 dwarf immigration wave even when your population is at 1 under the cap, and then no more.

well, that explains why my over 2mil DB fort has attracted barely any immigrants since I upped the cap from 20...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 01:16:17 am »

That is good info Firnagzen. Thanks for the heads up.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 03:29:28 am »

Also note that there used to be a limit (and maybe still is...) on the setting. For example, setting it to 1 or even 7 and you would still get some immigrants.

I'm not sure what the lower limit is, and that bug may have been fixed since (last I tried it was the 2d version).
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!