Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia 6: End - End of an Age  (Read 49128 times)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 6: Day 2: ...and Red all over.
« Reply #255 on: December 15, 2009, 03:08:13 am »

Quote from: Alan Gewirth
To call a principle "moral," in turn, is to indicate that it sets forth as categorically obligatory certain requirements for action that are addressed at least in part to all actual or prospective agents and that are concerned with furthering the interests, especially the most important interests, of persons or recipients other than or in addition to the agent or the speaker.

Philosophy major?  I have no idea how you folks can stand the run-on sentences in a lot of those books.  My eyes just blur over.

Now you get why I get so verbose when I'm accused.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 15, 2009, 03:16:12 am »

Knew I'd get a comment from direction-man.

[...]

He's a little overexact, but generally he uses language to be precise and no more than that. (That's about the worst, and I find it fascinating.) At least he doesn't use the 'ornate style'. Though that can be fun too.

I actually find the "ornate style" pretty easy to understand, comparatively.  The example on the wiki seemed very straightforward (of course, it also looked a lot like Victor Hugo's poetic style, and I've spent a good long time reading him.  More specifically, Pour les Pauvres).  I think it's the attempt at balanced writing and structures--it slots into the part of my brain that likes patterns, and suddenly everything is good.

I just can't stand the long strings of unbroken technical language.  I tend to prefer this sort of thing:

Quote from: Walter Rudin, Principles of Mathematical Analysis
Let f: X -> Y be a continuous function, X a compact metric space, Y a metric space.  Then f is uniformly continuous.

No extra words, nothing unneeded in a given sentence.  Extremely precise formal writing that doesn't hurt.  Certainly, the sentences become fragmented and may in turn lose their literary elegance; however, in terms of pure comprehensibility and clarity, I think I prefer the mathematical style.  The paucity of qualifiers and punctuation puts a greater emphasis on the concepts themselves and their comprehension, not on any attempts required to exhume a thesis from musty rhetoric.

This is kind of sad, coming from a person who actually almost majored in literature.  Alas, how the mighty have fallen.

Now you get why I get so verbose when I'm accused.

Hah.  You're like a syntax-skunk.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:12:08 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 15, 2009, 03:41:32 am »

Knew I'd get a comment from direction-man.

[...]

He's a little overexact, but generally he uses language to be precise and no more than that. (That's about the worst, and I find it fascinating.) At least he doesn't use the 'ornate style'. Though that can be fun too.

I actually find the "ornate style" pretty easy to understand, comparatively.  The example on the wiki seemed very straightforward (of course, it also looked a lot like Victor Hugo's poetic style, and I've spent a good long time reading him.  More specifically, Pour les Pauvres).  I think it's the attempt at balanced writing and structures--it slots into the part of my brain that likes patterns, and suddenly everything is good.

I just can't stand the long strings of unbroken technical language.  I tend to prefer this sort of thing:
There's, oh, one word in there that doesn't mean exactly what it does in vernacular (agent- someone capable of acting)- I hate philosophers who construct their own languagespaces.

Quote from: Walter Rudin, [i
Principles of Mathematical Analysis[/i]]Let f: X -> Y be a continuous function, X a compact metric space, Y a metric space.  Then f is uniformly continuous.
In this example, though I understand the concept of a continuous function(lim(f(x), x->x0) = f(x0) ∀ x0 ∈ range(f))...this definition makes no sense to me, prima facie, because "compact" "metric" "space" all are jargon terms that I, as yet, do not know.

The paucity of qualifiers and punctuation puts a greater emphasis on the concepts themselves and their comprehension, not on any attempts required to exhume a thesis from musty rhetoric.
  That's some good musty rhetoric! :D
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 15, 2009, 04:10:59 am »

Town, if CK and I can sit around bickering about sentence structure tomorrow by virtue of your silence, I'm going to be very disappointed.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 15, 2009, 04:16:02 am »

Commas are needed to separate clauses or...what's the term...anyway, on second/third reading, "in turn" and "especially" bits can be trimmed out with no loss.

Your opaque bloody maunderings in the Webadict thread were most edifying. Have you looked at Para2 (I think it was para2...yes, para2) yet?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 15, 2009, 04:21:23 am »

Commas are needed to separate clauses or...what's the term...anyway, on second/third reading, "in turn" and "especially" bits can be trimmed out with no loss.

Your opaque bloody maunderings in the Webadict thread were most edifying. Have you looked at Para2 (I think it was para2...yes, para2) yet?

So you break it up into separate sentences, and save your readers the work of traipsing through your slodge.

Though I've looked at Para2, I'm not entirely sure why you're referring me to it.  Vig-claim, or was it something else in particular?

Also, I think "maundering" wins the "word of the day" contest.  Very nice.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 15, 2009, 04:32:35 am »

WEll, the early paranormals actually have a lot of RP in them. Para2 went down in my karma notes for it. They're all better reads thanks to this. And, it's generally done in a manner that does not detract from the action of the game nor supplant it.
Tilesets

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 15, 2009, 04:37:39 am »

WEll, the early paranormals actually have a lot of RP in them. Para2 went down in my karma notes for it. They're all better reads thanks to this. And, it's generally done in a manner that does not detract from the action of the game nor supplant it.

Ah, I understand.  I shall go study them, when I'm not busy failing my game theory class.

But for now...

<rerail>

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 15, 2009, 04:40:08 am »

Ah, I understand.  I shall go study them, when I'm not busy failing my game theory class.

But for now...

<rerail>
Sounds like you're choosing a nondominant strategy.
Tilesets

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 15, 2009, 05:37:52 am »

Sounds like you're choosing a nondominant strategy.

Hah.  Yes, this semester has been a special one.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:13:18 am by Vector »

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 15, 2009, 07:42:40 am »

I wanted to post something befeore I leave my home for a while but those posts discouraged me so much that I didn't read them.

So, sucking it up doing mah thing. (Unvote)

Org! You survivor you! (Yes I had something stonger but was told not to do that so I won't)

You voted Nirur just so votes would be tied? You survivor you!

(More reasonable stuff: Nirur seems calm enough to make me think he might be town. But of course he may be just testing our courage and stuff...

More talking on Nirur when I get back)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 15, 2009, 07:54:36 am »

I'm getting suspicious of LASD and Glyph, simply because they're not drawing attention to themselves in a game where most people are dropping many scumtells.
Wait, are you suggesting I should seem more scummy because others do that? You want it to be easier to blend in?

However, I don't really like the thought of lynching Nirur Torir. I'm find it hard to believe that MagmaDeath and Vector would have agreed to Nirur tunneling his scumbuddy on Day 1.

The Ajah question was a veiled and failed attempt to get people to say the Townie color they were given in the Role PM (the only information the Mafia likely doesn't have) but I'm suspecting now that Townies aren't all the same color after all. Still, do you think there'd be any benefit for claiming them? (Or is the risk of revealing a potential Doctor too great?) And if you think so, say who'd you'd like to claim first so that scum can't just copy townies. Or we could just go by votes, but personally I'd like to see CobaltKobold go first if the time comes.
If I'm reading this right, I already claimed: white.

Oi. Fine. If somebody besides Errol gives me a valid, original reason on why I should vote myself, with no objections, I will. I don't intend to spend my weekend defending myself from the spotlight while the scum gets off freely.
OK. Here's a good reason: it's in your role PM. ;)
So far, most of the scum hunting has been for "That's not a townie thing to do!" That doesn't necessarily make it a scummy thing to do, just an anti-townie thing. We've got too many townies doing anti-town things for that to be a deciding factor.
There are no third-parties in BM. OK, here's a good reason to vote yourself: You do antitown things. By your own admission e'en.
I hate to join a bandwagon, but I'm going to have to agree with Org. His perpetual null-tells make him a liability at Lylo.
Here's another one- picking a "null/neutral" to lynch over an "antitown".

Nirur = scum.

Please further elaborate on why you want Org to still be around at Lylo.

Your reasons for me to vote myself are lame. It feels like you're trying a bit too hard to push me to vote myself.

Still .... Unvote. Vote Nirur Torir.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 15, 2009, 08:28:34 am »

Jacquin glances at Vector and CobaltKobold speaking to each other dramatically.  She realizes, though, that they are discussing....no, she has no clue what they are discussing.

Either those two are of the White and Brown or those two Ajahs have been very lax in their recruitment.

Sorry.  I could just SEE Vector giving an cool-eyed frown while Cobalt tries to show off the very papers she's referencing.

*cough*

Current Vote Count:
Rooster[2]: GlyphGryph, Org
Nirur Torir[2]: CobaltKobold, Nirur Torir
Org[3]: LASD, Errol, Rooster

Org did not unvote, thus her vote stays where it is.

Deadline: Wednesday, 9pm EST
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 15, 2009, 08:50:44 am »

That's fun. Town's half burned out. Cobalt came out of hiding and suddenly accuses Nirur Torir. Then, Rooster pounds on Org, and Nirur goes to vote for himself... even though he said two persons had to provide valid reasons. Two! And no, Org doesn't count. What's the sudden reason for selfvoting even in this situation? Unvote. You would be the weirdest scum ever, but that won't deter me a second time!

Nirur Torir, you are an old flipflopping scumbucket who deserves to hang. If we don't do this now, God knows when we'll finally go through with this.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 15, 2009, 09:03:43 am »

Oi. Fine. If somebody besides Errol gives me a valid, original reason on why I should vote myself, with no objections, I will. I don't intend to spend my weekend defending myself from the spotlight while the scum gets off freely.

I said I would, and so I did.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28