Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia 6: End - End of an Age  (Read 49053 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 6: Day 1 - In the White Tower
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2009, 09:29:54 am »

Nirur Torir, LASD makes a good point. You did well last round, so I was wondering - you were on the scum team that won BM5. What mistakes did we make that gave you the biggest advantage, in your opinion, and how could we avoid it this time around?
I think it's partially because I dropped so few scumtells. The active townies finally jumped at a faint one near the end of day 3, but they didn't clamp down. A simple explanation and "No, him!" got them back to lynching the suspicious lurker.

Lots of lurkers made it very easy to hide when I was trying not to draw any attention. So long as I lurked less then the other lurkers, I felt secure.

Also, the scumhunting didn't continue much after they were all strongly in favor of lynching somebody. Guys Girls, even if we have a strong lead on somebody, we should probably push on somebody else. Even a weak accusation keeps scum on their toes, and may cause them to make a mistake. When they do, don't just accept their first explanation and move on. That last accusation on me on day 3 made me pretty nervous, even though I tried very hard not to let it show and knew that they were just grasping at straws.

Magma, you didn't post a question, as though you expect the questions on you to keep coming. I hate to disappoint, so who would you most like as a scumbuddy in this game?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2009, 02:26:26 pm »

If you can make every breath you do aimed at finding scum then you are well on your way to victory.
♫Every breath you take, every move you make♫

Quote from: dakarian
As far as how to answer to suspicion, the one way that scum can NEVER do: with Honesty and Openness.
Um. . . this isn't Knights and Knaves. Scum can answer honestly if they're playing in one way-that is, forgetting that they're scum. Then, they'd only be lying if you traced back to "Are you town, or are you acting like town?" That said, town has near-nil incentive to lie, unlike scum, so a lie is 85% scumchance by itself.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2009, 02:49:55 pm »

Quote from: dakarian
As far as how to answer to suspicion, the one way that scum can NEVER do: with Honesty and Openness.
Um. . . this isn't Knights and Knaves. Scum can answer honestly if they're playing in one way-that is, forgetting that they're scum. Then, they'd only be lying if you traced back to "Are you town, or are you acting like town?" That said, town has near-nil incentive to lie, unlike scum, so a lie is 85% scumchance by itself.

Hah.  If you're good scum, you have one part of your brain constantly generating the townie reason for whatever you're doing, as the other part of your brain subtly tells the townie bit how to checkmate everyone.

You can't ever forget you're scum, but you also can't ever forget that you are a bonafide townie.  Keeping those two conflicting ideas in harmony is what makes good scum.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2009, 03:41:25 pm »

Hey, I think I'll try the famous Toony Tunnel, for lots of Fun. Even more Fun because I haven't read any games with examples of it.

Magma, what's the deal with you having logged in earlier and not posting, despite having a simple question on you?

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2009, 03:53:30 pm »

Hey, I think I'll try the famous Toony Tunnel, for lots of Fun. Even more Fun because I haven't read any games with examples of it.

Magma, what's the deal with you having logged in earlier and not posting, despite having a simple question on you?
Oh , I didnt see that. Well, answering it.

I'll be honest - I don't think your scum. You are coming off to me the same way Diakron and Jim did last game, and neither of them turned out to be scum. but at the moment, are are still far and away the scummiest seeming person here, so I'd like to see you explain yourself. Until then, you've got my vote.

I have no clue. All I can see is that people vote for me because I did something, and that no matter what I do, I'll just end up generating more attention, therefore, more voters. As far as I'm concerned, everything I do is a scumtell. So I just have to see who has the fishiest reason for voting or not voting for me - last part's important too - and that will then hopefully give evidence. I'm expendable. The notes to self were an attempt to show people my thinking process. It didn't work.

Isn't the definition of random voting that it is random? Maybe I should have voted for someone else for an extremely tangible reason.

Ah, right, MagmaDeath, why didn't you vote for me? My vote stays for now.
Well, I didn't vote you you beacuse I really dont need to. Its still the RVS, so there really isnt much of a point for me to vote for you.

Oh, there were 2
Nirur Torir, LASD makes a good point. You did well last round, so I was wondering - you were on the scum team that won BM5. What mistakes did we make that gave you the biggest advantage, in your opinion, and how could we avoid it this time around?
I think it's partially because I dropped so few scumtells. The active townies finally jumped at a faint one near the end of day 3, but they didn't clamp down. A simple explanation and "No, him!" got them back to lynching the suspicious lurker.

Lots of lurkers made it very easy to hide when I was trying not to draw any attention. So long as I lurked less then the other lurkers, I felt secure.

Also, the scumhunting didn't continue much after they were all strongly in favor of lynching somebody. Guys Girls, even if we have a strong lead on somebody, we should probably push on somebody else. Even a weak accusation keeps scum on their toes, and may cause them to make a mistake. When they do, don't just accept their first explanation and move on. That last accusation on me on day 3 made me pretty nervous, even though I tried very hard not to let it show and knew that they were just grasping at straws.

Magma, you didn't post a question, as though you expect the questions on you to keep coming. I hate to disappoint, so who would you most like as a scumbuddy in this game?
I would actually like Org, since he has an eternal null tell, and this being a newer game, people probably wouldn't start a policy lynch on him. Though, He might get knocked out anyway.

Where is he anyway?

Nirur, Why do you want to try using the Toony tunnel?
Failing at using it will just make you look kinda scummy.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2009, 04:02:44 pm »

Nirur, Why do you want to try using the Toony tunnel?
Failing at using it will just make you look kinda scummy.
In a game of nine players with two scum, a townie picking a target at random on day 1 has a 25% chance of picking a scum. If I do not shift my focus from you, I have a good chance of being wrong, sure. However, if you are scum, it makes it harder for you to subtle manipulate me, and I am not the only one scumhunting.

Tell me, how is failing at it scummy? I'm not pressing for a lynch, I'm pressing for suspicions.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2009, 04:06:26 pm »

Well, never shifting your focus from one person is really kinda strange, and could be mistaken for scummy by newer players.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2009, 04:14:05 pm »

Hmm. You are currently going for the "think of what the newbies will think of you" route... Are there any other reasons to not lynch you? At the moment your position is kind of weak.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2009, 04:47:08 pm »

Sorry everyone, ive been gone all day because of something I forgot to do. :/

Couldnt post til now.

Magma
, why are you deflecting?

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2009, 04:56:13 pm »

...if this was anyone but Org, I'd have extended a pointy FoS. But Org's a perpetual nulltell :/
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2009, 05:00:21 pm »

UNVOTE

Good, Org, you're here. And your first post... is mostly excuse, shrugging off the two questions you have on you, and jump on a Bandwagon?

Org, you are scum. So start talking. I'll even make this easy on you and quote the questions you ignored.

Quote from: gryphglyph
Anyways, Org, imagine if you would a world where you got your perfect Bay12 scum team in some high stakes mafia game. Who would they be, and why?

Quote from: LASD
Org, where are you? I'd like you too to answer to this question (if you've read the flavor):  Which Ajah color seems the most appealing to you?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2009, 05:00:48 pm »

Oops, forgot colours.

UNVOTE

Org

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2009, 07:44:30 pm »

UNVOTE

Good, Org, you're here. And your first post... is mostly excuse, shrugging off the two questions you have on you, and jump on a Bandwagon?

Org, you are scum. So start talking. I'll even make this easy on you and quote the questions you ignored.

Quote from: gryphglyph
Anyways, Org, imagine if you would a world where you got your perfect Bay12 scum team in some high stakes mafia game. Who would they be, and why?

Quote from: LASD
Org, where are you? I'd like you too to answer to this question (if you've read the flavor):  Which Ajah color seems the most appealing to you?
My mafia team? Not Zai. Id even take Magma over Zai.

Ajah?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2009, 08:59:56 pm »

The Ajah thing was LASDs question, something to do with the flavortext, different things mean different colours.

Anyways, its nice you'd take Magma over Zai, but I don't know who Zai is and that's not what I asked you.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2009, 09:02:24 pm »

Well, never shifting your focus from one person is really kinda strange, and could be mistaken for scummy by newer players.
You seem to be trying to prevent the Toony Tunnel subtly. Give me one good reason why I shouldn't focus on you. My aggressiveness being mistaken as a scumtell by new players does not concern me.

Hmm. You are currently going for the "think of what the newbies will think of you" route... Are there any other reasons to not lynch you? At the moment your position is kind of weak.
He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones. If you are expecting to be lynched, wouldn't it be better to attack people who are not the target of a Toony Tunnel? Or are you trying to get rid of your own suspicion by joining a bandwagon?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28