Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: RTDX: The Insane Elf. Turn 7. Wasted Martial Trance.  (Read 6392 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RTDX: The Insane Elf. Turn 7. Wasted Martial Trance.
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:44:06 pm »

I'm probably taking off more then I can handle here, but such is life. A while back, Sean Mirrsen had an amusing idea for redefining the RTD genre: rolls are determined by 3d6+3d6, rather then just 1d6. A +2 bonus no longer makes failure impossible. During a turn, a character rolls from 3-18 (Midpoint is 10) for skill, and 3-18 for luck. Both rolls are accounted for when deciding on a success or failure. Skills is affected by personal skill and health. Luck is affected by most everything else, including equipment, weather, curses, and the gods.

Spoiler: Setting: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skills and Traits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Damage Types and Magic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Signing up (click to show/hide)

Roster:
Realmfighter
Tehstefan
RandomNumberGenerator
Haika

Spoiler: Characters (click to show/hide)

Post "IN!" if you want in and read the rules/edit your signup post afterwards. I'm not taking more then four people. For now, at least.

I know I'm forgetting something. Let me know what it is please.

Edit - Oh, right. I was going to comment on picking characters that compliment each other and are good in dungeons. Diplomacy won't be particularly useful for this scenario.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 08:09:39 pm by Nirur Torir »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: RTDX: The Insane Elf. Sign-ups.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 09:58:01 pm »

IN!
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 10:36:30 pm »

Name: Stefan
Race: Human
Traits and Proficiencies: Swordplay, Arcane magic
Equipment: Iron Sword ( +1 to slashing attacks) , shield (+1 to blocking piercing and slashing)
Bio: Stefan's always been interested in swordplay. From a young kid he practiced as much as he could, even though his family was more into magic, and he honestly was better at it than swordplay. However, he never really wanted to be a full magician, he'd much rather be able to do both, as opposed to just one small field. However, his family wouldn't allow him to not use his talent. So, he used the same field they all went into, Arcane. It was mainly used to heal people in their family, as they were doctors, but he got basic training in offensive use too, even if the focus was healing.

Like that? I figured raw magical energy could be used to heal people.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 11:22:13 am by tehstefan »
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 10:36:37 pm »

Name: Endok
Race: Dwarf
Traits and Proficiencies: Pious(Bonus to Divine Magic); Resilient(Bonus to Defense)
Equipment: Chainmail Shirt(+1 Piercing Defense; +1 Stabbing Defense); Holy Symbol of Limul(+1 Fire Defense; +1 Blunt Defense)
Bio: Shortly after his birth, he lost his mother to a tragic accident, and was "adopted" by his cruel uncle. His uncle always abused and beat him, and made ridiculous demands like "Make Bismuth Items". Suffering from multiple injuries, he would sit in his room, hoping somebody, anybody, would come to help him...

And somebody did. A dwarf by the name of Dom pulled a lever one day that flooded his uncle's room with magma. When asked why he pulled the level, Dom replied "I have no idea. It almost seemed like Limul herself forced me to." From that moment on, Endok knew his life's direction. He would become a paladin of Limul.

(I just pulled this out of my DF game. Limul is the god of wealth, jewels, minerals, volcanoes and mountains)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 12:08:40 am by RandomNumberGenerator »
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 10:45:40 pm »

Name: Fraen
Race: Half Elf- Half Human.
Traits and Proficiencies: Gunmanship, Gunsmithing.
Equipment: Flintlock breach-loader, Ornate short sword.
Bio:
She is the daughter of two plot irreverent people, except for two things. Her father is a gunsmith, the one who taught her the art, and her mother had her in a very irregular way. Not only did she give birth to a half elf, she gave birth to the baby of her rapist. When the elf's attacked her village they did there average raping and pillaging without realizing that if they just left out a little raping they would be less dead right now.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 12:15:37 am by realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTDX: The Insane Elf. Sign-ups, one spot left.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:18:22 pm »

Name: Stefan
Race: Human
Traits and Proficiencies: Swordplay,
Equipment: Iron Sword ( +1 to sword attacks) , shield (+1 to blocking attacks)
Bio: Stefan's always been interested in swordplay. From a young kid he practiced as much as he could, even though his family was more into magic, and he honestly was better at it than swordplay. However, he never really wanted to be a full magician, he'd much rather be able to do both, as opposed to just one small field.

I must ask, what would healing be under? Trying to figure out which school would be. Perhaps Arcane?

BTW, This is my IN post.

All schools can potentially heal. I'm also disallowing direct +block, choose two damage types to +defend against instead.

One spot left as of this post!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 11:58:58 pm »

Also, even if all schools can heal, priests/paladins/clerics are traditional healers. So if you want, you can do something else tehstefan. Not that I'm saying you can't heal.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 12:04:57 am »

I'll give this one a try if there's still room.

IN!

Name: Halenthial Fleshleaf
Race: Pointy-Eared Basta/, I mean Elf
Traits and Proficiencies: Assassin(strong bonus to attacks when undetected), Cat Burglar (Bonus to lockpick, sneak, and disarm traps. Kelptomaniac)
Equipment: Blood-Stained Ebony Bokken(wooden katana, +1 slashing), Shadow leather armor(+1 blunt defense, +1 stealth)
Bio: Halen was born to a poor family of elven tree tenders. He grew up with no resources and was denied any formal schooling. At the age of 14 he decided he was done with poking trees and waiting for them to grow. He signed up for the Elven military as a scout, and was trained to move quietly, quickly and undetected. Showing signs of having talent he was given more and more important jobs, until he was assigned to serve a wealthy human princess.

Being forced to serve such an arrogant employer grated on the Elf. Even with so much wealth she selfishly denied anyone but herself. Before long this changed something in Halen, and one night being ordered to steal a dwarven child so the princess would have a playtoy he lashed out in rage, killing the princess. From that day on, he became an outlaw, both to his own people, and to others who find him thiefing in their towns. He would steal, rob, murder and kill, if the price was right. Where the money he collects goes, no one knows. Anyone who has found out turned up dead before the information leaked very far.

---
How's that, hopefully not too much on the traits. Tried to keep things in balance while pushing for a more dark, sinister elf.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 12:59:19 am by Haika »
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 12:43:53 am »

I kinda could see him as a paladin in any case.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 12:45:04 am »

Aww. Oh well, I'll sit n' watch.

Traits: Observing the game, laughing at misfortune.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 01:52:18 am »

I saw you as more of a spellsword. Oh well. Should I go something else? I just realized that we lack a pure mage.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 05:36:30 am »

Man, just missed the last spot. Seems interesting so I'm gonna sign me up on your waiting list.

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTDX: The Insane Elf. Pre-game: Finalizing roles.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 05:54:50 am »

Mostly good. There's going to be little to no place for crafting, since you'll mostly be in dungeons.

I've decided that Earth, Water, and Arcane will be the most capable healers. Fire and Air/Lightning will be the weakest, since low-moderate skilled practitioners are limited to cauterizing wounds. Mind is only slightly stronger, encouraging the body to clog wounds and not feel the pain, with minimal ability to actually heal.

Divine magic will be a bit weaker then other magics, but more versatile in the damage types it can deal.

Any ranged weaponry comes with enough ammo for 20 shots.

I'll start the game after everybody's satisfied with their character sheets.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 06:27:43 am »

Any ranged weaponry comes with enough ammo for 20 shots.
Quick! Someone switch to siege weapons!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 10:38:03 am »

I'll start the game after everybody's satisfied with their character sheets.

Sounds good to me, I think my character sheet looks fine. But maybe you should copy the initial character sheets over into spoilers on one of the first few pages, make things a little easier to see.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5