Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stairs and Support.  (Read 434 times)

Kirk

• Bay Watcher
  • INTERNET WIZARD
    • View Profile
    • Black Rock Productions
Stairs and Support.
« on: December 03, 2009, 07:01:42 pm »

Quick question, do stairs support things? Lets say i just build a staircase up, is it possible to build floor around the staircases?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stairs and Support.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 07:04:42 pm »

Yes.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 07:59:12 pm »

Do they support things like support pillars do?

Also, can you destroy carved out stairs?

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 08:28:02 pm »

Yes. Not only that, a mega-structure can be supported with just one staircase. But if that staircase is destroyed, then the falling mega structure will *generally* destroy anything under it. Even if it is 'protected' by roofs.

Answer to question 2: Yes, but since I am away from DF, I can't remember how to do it.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 09:18:09 pm »

Yes.

Do destroy carved out stairs, but only up stairs or ramps, probably up/down stairs aswell.

Press d then z

For downstairs you simply have to cover them over with floor tiles...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 09:54:46 pm »

You can destroy carved-out downward staircases by designating them for channeling. However, be aware that if it is possible for the miner to dig from below (in other words, if there is an upward staircase below the downward staircase and it is not currently flooded), they will stand on the floor below and channel out the stairway from there.

This can have unfortunate effects if you dug stairways for access to what was to be your magma foundries' magma source and you are in the process of filling those magmaworks, as the removal of the down stairs can easily trap an earstwhile miner.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!