Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Killing stuff in cages  (Read 1373 times)

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Killing stuff in cages
« on: December 03, 2009, 04:29:57 pm »

What's easiest way to get rid of stuff in cages? My stockpiles are filling up with captured goblins that needs to be killed, preferably giving me some bones and saving the cage.

Blackdutchie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Killing stuff in cages
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 04:34:18 pm »

a high enough drop has been used in the past to kill them
also has high entertainment value as after a high enough fall, the goblin will explode when it hits the ground.
Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Flying Carcass
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
The first lesson taught by DF is patience.
The second: Madness.
The third: Magma, properly applied, solves all problems.

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 04:38:34 pm »

Best way to achieve that result would be to designate a dump site off of a very tall cliff.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 04:47:09 pm »

Drop then at least 8 levels or so, which is usually high enough that they will expose. Every giblet will decay into a piece of bone, which means you can increase the number of bone stacks by 500-600% by dropping them.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 04:48:53 pm »

Awesome, gonna build me a deep deep pit inside my fortress, time for some goblin splatter pie as revenge for my dead sheriff.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 05:44:26 pm »

A small drop (~3 z-levels, including top and bottom levels), with traps (I use spiked balls, spears, and crossbows) also works, for the most part. But be warned... after mass dumpings, crossbows can become out of ammo, and spears and other weapons may get jammed, so the last few may survive the traps (it is the traps that kills them, not the fall.. the fall just stuns them, so that any kobolds you somehow caught in cages get hit with the traps).

If something survives the traps, then you have options... either station some guards outside the fall, OR build a few 'backup' traps, OR some dogs... or anything which will kill a stunned, and hurting goblin/elf/human/captured dwarf.

For added fun, ignore all the traps, and just have a few cage traps just adjacent to the pit (but on the same z-level as the bottom of the pit). Cage them up once they fall, re-build the cages near the tops of the pits, wait for the bottom cage pits to be re-stocked... and drop them again. The fall won't kill them, but it will give them minor injuries. And so will the second. And the third. And the fourth. Dwarvish torture device FTW!!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 05:50:16 pm »

Best way to achieve that result would be to designate a dump site off of a very tall cliff.
Uh, no.  They're invulnerable while in the inter-dimensional-storage cages.  You have to make sure that the process of dropping them removes them from the cage.  Dumping just drops the whole cage.

Gotta use the pit/pond zone designation, and assign goblins to it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 05:56:52 pm »

I recommend creating a horrible labyrinth filled with wardogs, traps, and a megabeast acting as a minotaur roaming around. Drop them in and watch the fun play out.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 07:59:33 pm »

I built a tower just next to my refuse stockpile and made the drop about 20 z and they fall right on the refuse pile ( wich is walled not for miasma but for gore splatting everhwere i dont want it to go so dwarf dont have to singlehandly get all part back to stockpile )

Drop gobbo, they splatter all over the refuse stockpile, but since its already on a refuse stockpile no refuse hauling job created. Wich mean dwarf can do otherr job than clean the mess after pittin 20-30 gobbo
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 08:03:57 pm »

A pit of death is WONDERFULL
I just created one and am planning to build it up further into the sky for more bloody explosions!

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 08:08:32 pm »

Or i simply let my swordwarf hack them, its funny how sometime a piece of gobbo can reach z+6 and end up about 10-15 tile away :D after a lucky hit
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 10:17:50 pm »

Pit of death + mace dwarf = REALLY FUN TIMES.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 10:38:05 pm »

Use soldiers. Traps take all the gore-exploding, goblin flying, curbstomping fun out of war. It's awesome as hell to watch that elite speargob go flying 60 urists into a brick wall and explode into fingers and toes.

Of course, if you insist on traps, using a pit will work. Just drop them on some weapon traps next to your refuse pile, simple enough.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 12:04:59 am »

Toss them into the barracks, one by one.
Clear up the mess.

I use caged beasties to train my brain-damaged soldiers.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 08:39:33 am »

pit |pit|
noun
a large hole in the ground.
he fell into the pit.

The Pit |ðē pit|
dwarf fortress point of interest
an essential part of every dwarf fortress player's fortress into which captured enemies are disposed of when the player does not have the time or patience for large, imaginative disposal facilities. Similar to the Trade Depot of Doom, a fortress cannot be called a fortress if it does not have a pit. The deeper the pit, the more it contributes to the Fortress Awesomeness Value.
I tossed those goblins into my 15 z-level pit, they exploded in a shower of gore. I felt most pleased with myself.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 08:42:40 am by Overspeculated »
Pages: [1] 2