Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarven Trail - Turn 4 - First major river!  (Read 8765 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Trail - Signup (3/7)
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 10:15:54 am »

Donkey Trains are good!

Name: Kash McCogshyyk
Job:Planter
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Money Remaining:☼130
Personal Ration Level: Meager
Personal Booze Ration: No
Caravan Speed: Strenuous
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 10:23:22 am by Kashyyk »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 10:43:11 am »

hmm, my count puts you at signup number 8 there Kashyyk. Though it's totally up to Leo if he will allow you in.

I vote yes and close signups after, as having a planter along for the ride dosen't sound like a bad idea at all.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 10:55:04 am »

Does it?

Damn. If Leo wants to keep to 7, I don't mind though. Consider me an addition if one of the players manage to kill themselves.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 12:17:49 pm »

I'll let Kashyyk in and set it at 8. Updating the player list now.

Originally the reason why they traveled the Oregon Trail was that there wasn't a sea route. If you went as far as possible into the Gulf of Mexico you'd still have to walk across and north to Oregon. So yes, the Phallic Peninsula is a far more hazardous route. And not just because of the roving Tentacle Demons! It's all swamp and infested with Giant Carp!

I'll look at fishing again. I meant it to be kind of dangerous - though hunting currently carries no danger at all it does use a resource. Since there isn't a class or equipment for fishing, changing it now wouldn't make anyone want to change their characters. I think I meant it as a last-ditch survival method if you ran out of quarrels.

Note however that this hasn't been playtested, so it may turn out to be "easy mode". We'll see.

EDIT:
Rooster your money totalled 900, but Mechanics get only 800. So I set you at 129 remaining instead of 229. Also, time taken doesn't matter but timing does - when you leave determines what the weather will be like in the mountains when you cross them, etc.

EDIT2:
Myroc you also overestimated by 100, so I just reduced your money remaining to 350 instead of 450.

EDIT3:
Pillow_Killer you underestimated by 120. Added that to your money remaining.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 12:36:17 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Trail - Signup (8/8)
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 12:51:34 pm »

All right folks! You all gather in front of the Hard-Working Man Saloon and City Hall in the outpost town of Independence Rock. You're about to head out on your journey to the frontier!

As you're hitching up your wagons, and feeding and rubbing down your asses, you realize there's a pretentious-looking man walking around looking very pleased at the spectacle. He introduces himself as Tylui Mingusgasol, with great self-importance, and it looks like he's going with you.

But he doesn't have any equipment. Just a lot of money.

So what do you guys want to do? It sounds like he expects you to go shopping for him or something.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Trail - Signup closed (8/8)! Tylui needs gear!
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 01:41:48 pm »

Hmm. We miscalculated.
No self-respecting dwarf knows maths  ;)

Tylui? Dunno We should let him buy his equipment, or he can do the extreme mode of tagging along.

On foot.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 01:54:24 pm »

With *gasp!* no booze.

It seems pretty obvious he wanted filling meals, a wagon to ride in, asses to pull it, and plenty of booze. If he doesn't respond today someone else can buy his equipment for him using his money.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 02:22:41 pm »

Lousy, lazy better than thou bas-

I mean he needs to get with it already and buy some junk. I suggest his own wagon, because he sure ain't loafin around on mine.

---
Meanwhile, the fishing issue is easily fixed with a fishing dwarf profession choice, a fishing pole, and points for fish seperate from plants or meat.

I was also wondering what sort of chances of breaking do these tools have(you'll note I chose 2 crossbows, just in case).

Other ideas for equipment to be added maybe for next game: Hired hands(crafting, caravan guards, etc[needs food and booze]), dogs(hunting+war+normal)/cats, weapons for fighting off creatures and 'natives'(I seem to remember guns being used against ruffian or indian raids)
All of these would be included in a point amount or deficit(guards should take away some points, in exchange for the safer journey)

The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 02:24:03 pm »

Spotting Tylui all alone, with no one to take care of him and his riches, Ukat leaps to his side.

"'ello guvnah!  Looking for someone to 'elp out on the journey?  I'd be more'n 'appy to lend a hand.  Done ya shopping yet have ya?  I could help gettin' all ya need for the passage."
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 03:03:20 pm »

Quote from: Haika
Meanwhile, the fishing issue is easily fixed with a fishing dwarf profession choice, a fishing pole, and points for fish seperate from plants or meat.

I was also wondering what sort of chances of breaking do these tools have(you'll note I chose 2 crossbows, just in case).

Other ideas for equipment to be added maybe for next game: Hired hands(crafting, caravan guards, etc[needs food and booze]), dogs(hunting+war+normal)/cats, weapons for fighting off creatures and 'natives'(I seem to remember guns being used against ruffian or indian raids)
All of these would be included in a point amount or deficit(guards should take away some points, in exchange for the safer journey)

1: I think I'll just change the "In Soviet Russia" chance for fishing from 2 in 6 to 1 in 6 for carp and gar. I didn't want a fishing tool because DF doesn't use one.

1A: Food is the same whether the food is meat you killed, fish you caught, food you bought in the beginning, or wild fruit you find.

2: Tools do not break. But it's possible to lose equipment in an unsuccessful fording or floating on a river, and kobolds might steal things as a special event. These are the two that come straight from Oregon Trail, but there may be other surprises lurking about ...

3: I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. Just the Oregon Trail stuff plus some Dwarfy flavor. I'd like the rules to cater to a beginner. But good ideas.
Although I'd stay away from anyone being a fighting sort of person. The Hunter is the most militant I'd go.

EDIT: Those suggestions look good to me, except you went over slightly. ☼335 left. I PM'd Tylui. I'll give him until tonight before just saying he accepts the recommendation. Based on his roleplaying in his IN post it sounds like what he'd do anyway.

And it also looks like everyone but him voted Strenuous :P Poor noble.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 03:28:10 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 03:21:42 pm »

I'm changing my vote to steady.  Might as well suck up to the noble so I can kill him and steal all his stuff get all his stuff when he dies in a freak accident.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2009, 05:33:03 pm »

Leo:

I realise I've taken up a lot more caravan space than I expected. I'll have as many Asses as possible please.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 06:14:27 pm »

Quote from: Kashyyk
Leo:

I realise I've taken up a lot more caravan space than I expected. I'll have as many Asses as possible please.

You want 3 more asses? That would still leave you with 6 asses and thus only 600 capacity and 1300 weight, putting you 700 over. I didn't go back and check, I was busy updating everyone else's stuff.

Or do you want to swap out some goods to lighten the weight and afford more asses?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 05:11:32 am »

Shouldn't my Wagon Space Taken be 2482? The opening post says people count towards weight too.

Your wagon can hold 2000 items. A person, mechanism, or piece of furniture counts as 20 items. An ass not pulling a wagon can be loaded up with 100 items but it counts as pulling a wagon and might become exhausted. Money doesn’t count as an item.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 07:30:22 pm »

You don't get a health hit from walking unless the speed is Grueling, and even then it's 1 in 6 per day. I should have made that more explicit, but what applies to an ass applies to a dwarf except that a dwarf can't carry things or pull a wagon.

I added the weight of the clothes you would be wearing and equipment you'd carry to the wagon, but I didn't add your body weight. That note is there for people who want to work while the caravan moves (bone carver for example) or when the caravan moves at Grueling. Or if they just want to ride, like Tylui.

I didn't want to screw you over twice, basically, yet I needed to screw you once on the 3-5 items your dwarf should be carrying, otherwise I'd be tracking two inventories per player.

EDIT:

Right, so I'm saying Tylui was convinced to take Ukat's suggested loadout from the Crazy Ass General Store and Distillery at Independence Rock and his status is changed. Right now we've got a problem with Kash's ass train not being able to take all his junk. Even if he secures extra asses it just won't all fit in there at once.

Tylui has enough spare wagon space to carry his stuff temporarily. Do we want to continue and see if it works itself out (whether by him eating it all along the way or him trading for more asses later on)? Or wait for him to come by and make a decision?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 07:36:57 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9