Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trick for lazy embarking.  (Read 1609 times)

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trick for lazy embarking.
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:58:40 am »

I don't know if this has been done or talked about at all, but I'm just going to say it anyway.

Do you like embarking with loads of goods? Stone, Wood, Beer, etc.

Hauling all of that to the stockpile too time consuming?

Well...

Step 1 : DECONSTRUCT CARAVAN
Step 2 : BUILD A WALL AROUND IT.
Step 3 (optional) : Build a ceiling and a floor for this stack, build your base in reverse.   

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This game file was deleted. I forgot my precious cats.

Kraegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trick for lazy embarking.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 12:01:04 pm »

Yeah, that is a good idea.  I just never stay on the spot I embark to, I always move to some other part of the map  :P

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 12:55:32 pm »

Well once toady introduces conveyor belts that wont be a problem.

Mookie Love

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 01:57:28 pm »

I feel kind of dumb for not coming up with this on my own.
But all the same, I'll probably use it for my next fort.

It can either be upgraded or just torn down once it outlives it's usefulness.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 02:05:46 pm »

Nice tileset. Which is it?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 04:03:05 pm »

I've done something similar on several forts.  Designate the ground under the staring wagon as ramps after deconstructing the wagon.  That will cause all of your starting gear to fall one level.  Then build a floor over that area, sealing everything underground, and then build/dig out from there.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 04:47:17 pm »

I've done something similar on several forts.  Designate the ground under the staring wagon as ramps after deconstructing the wagon.  That will cause all of your starting gear to fall one level.  Then build a floor over that area, sealing everything underground, and then build/dig out from there.
I like this idea... but what happens if you don't deconstruct the wagon?  Will it "cave-in"?  Will it fall safely or deconstruct on it's own?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 06:02:01 pm »

It looks like mike maydays tileset
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 06:02:57 pm »

I want to know this aswell.

ANd its NOT maydays tileset, Or if it is it has variations, we must know those variations!
I want those walls!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 11:05:32 am »

I don't remember completely but I'm banking that its either Mayday tileset or that "EZ" one... well its on that graphics repository page or whatevs.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 11:57:31 am »

Actually wagons act like a subterrainean stockpile regarding items inside it unless im mistaken...
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 01:11:45 pm »

Nevermind it was the Redjack tileset.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 01:24:13 pm »

I like this idea... but what happens if you don't deconstruct the wagon?  Will it "cave-in"?  Will it fall safely or deconstruct on it's own?
I haven't tried that.  I suspect that if the wagon is treated as a building, when you dig out the ramps under it the floor tiles under the wagon will not be removed.  Then when the last solid space is dug out the floors will cave-in, crushing several of your miners in the process.  The wagon should deconstruct like any falling building and scatter its contents.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Morgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 07:50:21 pm »

I haven't tried that.  I suspect that if the wagon is treated as a building, when you dig out the ramps under it the floor tiles under the wagon will not be removed.  Then when the last solid space is dug out the floors will cave-in, crushing several of your miners in the process.  The wagon should deconstruct like any falling building and scatter its contents.
It deconstructs when it falls in, and layers out it's contents like you had deconstructed it like normal. I do this on a regular basis.
Because it's so amusing to hear stories of the last recruit, pressganged into defending the fortress, making the critical shot that saves all the battle-hardened veterans... then going crazy because the cats have filled the dining room with miasma.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 01:15:57 am »

While this might be convenient, it isn't ideal. Meat and prepared meals not stored in food stockpiles rot, IIRC, so it's better to get it to a (proper) stockpile ASAP rather than letting it sit around.