Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: meditations about "themed" starting seven setups, and a question about smoke  (Read 2907 times)

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile

"Boiling X" is the same temperature as X's boiling point. If a dwarf comes in contact with that boiling substance it can burn or freeze him depending on what that boiling temperature is.  I found out the hard way when I FUBARed a rock's boiling point.  My miners froze to death because the boiling point was well below freezing.  It can also do no harm if that boiling point is around room temperature.
I've been trying to work out if there's a way to use that against !!HFS!!, but it seems like you'd have to change the rock's boiling point after they got in range.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like bringing no miners (and then turning it on)

That's what I do, but not to reduce the number of useless stone - though I guess that's a good thing as well - but to save those embark points for something else. Mining is one of the easiest and quickest skills to reach legendary status anyway.
I bring two miners, as I like to dig quickly through the ground and get an elaborate base started asap.

I bring six picks. Six low skill miners level up damn fast, and in my experience mine about as fast as two mid skilled ones. The seventh dwarf is my farmer, since I play dig deeper and don't bring along a lot of food so I need that first crop of plump helmets.

This has the added advantage of letting me bring along dwarves with skills for clothsmaking, jewelcrafting, metal and bone crafting, metal and stone furniture making, weapon and trap making, and armor and leather working. I tend to do a little of everything.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile

I think smoke makes no damage. I put a goblin over my everburning lignite block for some time, no wounds at all.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile

Smoked meat?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Smoked meat?

In one of my forts(long time ago), I decided to make smoked meat, so, whenever I killed an animal for food I had it put in a smoking chamber that had grates over a fire, the fire wasn't just lignite because I know that different smoke has different tastes (I have burned all manner of things over the years) and that coal-smoked food tastes horrible, so I only used the wood I had to spare from my Logging operations (dense tree map) and ignited it with fire imps.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile

Smoked meat?

In one of my forts(long time ago), I decided to make smoked meat, so, whenever I killed an animal for food I had it put in a smoking chamber that had grates over a fire, the fire wasn't just lignite because I know that different smoke has different tastes (I have burned all manner of things over the years) and that coal-smoked food tastes horrible, so I only used the wood I had to spare from my Logging operations (dense tree map) and ignited it with fire imps.

Balls...
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you get a wooden artifact, you can use that as eternal grill fuel.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.
Pages: 1 2 [3]