Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: overtrained wrestling (*self-solved*)  (Read 689 times)

marksdwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
overtrained wrestling (*self-solved*)
« on: December 03, 2009, 04:00:34 am »

I wanted to train marksdwarves, but after reading on crosstraining I decided to teach them wrestling first. Now they are something like legendary +2/+3 wrestling champions. The personal soldiering menus are no longer accessible, but feeling smart I assigned them crossbows via 'm'ilitary 'w'eapons screen. They happily picked up some but when I put them off duty they start sparring in barracks instead of going to the archery range.
What am I doing wrong? Is it too late for them to learn new tricks?

I'm a noob so please write slowly so I can understand.

SORRY, SORRRYYYY - they went to the archery range and are already wasting my bolts...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 04:20:55 am by marksdwarf »

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: overtrained wrestling (*self-solved*)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 04:49:37 am »

In case anyone else reads this with the same problem, I'm guessing marksdwarf forgot to build training bolts. These are regular bolts made of wood or bone. Dwarves will consider metal bolts too valuable to use in training.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 05:11:25 am »

It's so ironic, that your dwarves won't use those copper bolts for training, but will happily pick up your stack of masterpiece dragon bone bolts and crumple them into the targets.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

ebenezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 04:01:05 pm »

Can you really confirm this?
Dwarves pick exclusively bone or wooden bolts to train?
Will they ignore my huge heap of cheap copper bolts?
Ebenezer cancels Dwarf Fortress: seeking infant.

FlexibleDogma

• Bay Watcher
  • xGiant Cave Spider Silk Sockx Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 04:16:49 pm »

Can you really confirm this?
Dwarves pick exclusively bone or wooden bolts to train?
Will they ignore my huge heap of cheap copper bolts?

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Marksdwarf

Yes, only wood or bone is used for training.  However, that stack of copper bolts will be fine for normal combat, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Rapid-fire piercing damage is brutal on enemies with organs, I've never found that the bolt material mattered all that much in combat.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 04:45:54 pm »

Currently only wood or bone bolts can be used for training. Next release you can use whatever type of bolts you want for training.

Material really doesn't matter. The only thing that is important is the skill of the dwarf. A wood bolt through the brain is just as lethal as a steel bolt through the brain. Skill is what determines accuracy so they'll put more bolts into the goblins rather than missing.