Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: New FPS Games in the works... Want YOUR ideas.  (Read 9803 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: New FPS Games in the works... Want YOUR ideas.
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2010, 10:36:56 am »

Include a secret weapon that shoots Shurikens and Lightning, name it as a reference to Zero Punctuation/Yahtzee.  ;D

Including a few different references like this in your game could potentially make it very fun by give people a chance to try and find them all. On the other hand if you overdo it the result might be that your game looks like it's trying too hard to be funny/good by referencing other things. The trick here is definitely subtlety. A character named Dudegif would be OTT, on the other sneaking it in somewhere in the credits is a cool little tribute to monkey island.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2010, 02:52:54 pm »

I hate to be a downer, but is this really the way to design a game?  The most important element is to have an overall creative and technical vision, and the game elements should merely reinforce that.  The creative vision is story, setting, genre, theme, feel, while the technical elements include pacing, control, restrictions (what you *can't* do defines the game as much as what you can) and so on.

There's nothing wrong with brainstorming, but if your design process is to just build around everything that's cool and shiny, you end up with the Homer-Mobile.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Synzig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2010, 03:05:34 pm »

I hate to be a downer, but is this really the way to design a game?  The most important element is to have an overall creative and technical vision, and the game elements should merely reinforce that.  The creative vision is story, setting, genre, theme, feel, while the technical elements include pacing, control, restrictions (what you *can't* do defines the game as much as what you can) and so on.

There's nothing wrong with brainstorming, but if your design process is to just build around everything that's cool and shiny, you end up with the Homer-Mobile.

But.. but.. guns.. that shoot.. other guns.  ??? :'(

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2010, 03:21:44 pm »

How about 'Mercenaries: In Space'?

Basically you take random jobs, which may or may not connect to a larger story, buy weapons and vehicles... in SPACE! Some decent potential but still based on proven-successful concepts.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jerimy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2010, 04:17:16 pm »

A gun that shoots a turret out that sticks to floors/ceilings/walls?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2010, 05:59:21 pm »

There's nothing wrong with brainstorming, but if your design process is to just build around everything that's cool and shiny, you end up with the Homer-Mobile

IIRC I said that, all that stuff is more or less done already. We've been hard working on story/setting/genre/theme/feel/whatever you want to throw at it.

I'm more or less collecting ideas for stuff people would like to see in game.

I mean, if you want, just to make everyone stop complaining about it. I could just remove the option for you guys to offer ideas. Everyone here at Bay12 are the only ones that I'm accepting ideas from.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2010, 06:06:07 pm »

Well, if you want ideas...
I have a text processor like program, currently sed to generate insults, that I could create a set of text files for to create crazy weapon ideas...
(This is mostly a joke, but I think I will anyway...)

Edit: here it is, the first round of zany computer-generated ideas.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:31:12 pm by qwertyuiopas »
Eh?
Eh!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2010, 06:39:50 pm »

Idea: A(n) sword with an attached sword with an attached gun that shoots death beams and has alt-fire that can improve TV reception
Idea: A(n) board-with-a-nail-in-it with an attached gun that shoots (energy board-with-a-nail-in-it with an attached overpowered turret) and has an attached rapid-fire turret
Idea: A gun that shoots (gun that shoots lasers and has an attached rapid-fire turret) and has an attached AI turret

I like the way your program thinks. Gunswordchucks, Gunboardturret firing boardturrets, Gunturret firing lasergunturrets.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2010, 07:07:29 pm »

A sword with a strap to attach a live viper!

To bite while you Smite!

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2010, 05:25:22 am »

HideousBeing - You're more or less referring to the gun off of Half-Life (not 2).

Interesting... I've never played Half-Life 1, but it sounds like I need to do this...now!

How about using nanobots for various interesting things. Radar/equipment scrambling. Slowing down run speed or negatively affecting whatever somehow. Eating people's faces off. Tiny nanobot explosives that crawl in you (like halo needler I guess). The uses of tiny robots are limitless.

I liked the idea of the portal gun that basically rips people into dust... that sounded cool as a superweapon.

Glad you ask us for ideas. To anyone who complains... they don't have to use any of them; it's just some good inspiration for brainstorming.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2010, 05:54:01 am »

I thought some people would be super excited to throw out ideas, guess I was wrong. Thanks though HideousBeing.

I really like the idea of nanobots, we're really exploring their opportunities NOW and with the game being a couple centuries in the future... I feel that their is endless ideas. Especially with outside help. =-P

Half-life one has a couple interesting guns. I think you'll get more of a kick out of it than Half-life 2.

I'm really debating on the whole "radar" bit. I personally like the Alien or AVP (game) radar thing or should I say sonar?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2010, 05:54:24 am »

Why is everyone so obsessed with antimatter weaponry? I know, it sounds cool, but it doesnt really works that way. Antimatter costs craptons of energy to produce, not mentioning how much supporting hardware it needs to be stored. Now, I'm sure pretty much everyone here know "E=mc^2" formula. How does it relates to this? well, let's do a little bit of fun math.
E - amount of energy that would be released
m - mass.
c - speed of light.
One gram of antimatter plus one gram of matter - E = 0.002 x 300000000 x 300000000
That's 180000000000000 joules, which equals to roughly 36 kilotons. Do You really think such amounts can be used in personal weaponry? Do You realise how much energy it would take to create one single gram of antimatter? That's 10^23 particles.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2010, 06:08:29 am »

Why is everyone so obsessed with antimatter weaponry? I know, it sounds cool, but it doesnt really works that way. Antimatter costs craptons of energy to produce, not mentioning how much supporting hardware it needs to be stored. Now, I'm sure pretty much everyone here know "E=mc^2" formula. How does it relates to this? well, let's do a little bit of fun math.
E - amount of energy that would be released
m - mass.
c - speed of light.
One gram of antimatter plus one gram of matter - E = 0.002 x 300000000 x 300000000
That's 180000000000000 joules, which equals to roughly 36 kilotons. Do You really think such amounts can be used in personal weaponry? Do You realise how much energy it would take to create one single gram of antimatter? That's 10^23 particles.

I don't recall seeing too much anti-matter related weaponry...

It does seem very out of reach for even some use currently... but think about how we're progressing now. I'm pretty sure we'd come up with SOMETHING...

Mind you, I don't think anti-matter weaponry or propulsion is going to be seen in the game to any near common degree. If it were to be seen, it'd be something similar to nuclear weaponry, but that's not happening as far as I can tell... I only have so much control, mind you it is a lot.

I'm not flaming your Pillow_Killer, I am more or less agreeing with you.

@Jreengus - The rule of cool... I agree, if anything is put into a game that isn't reasonable/feasible or whatever... it should at least be an awesomely cool event.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2010, 06:21:46 am »

I'm guessing you missed my medic suggestion?  But then guess its easy to miss since it was right before MrWiggles post...

@Healing...  with the tons of weapons each doing different types of damage you guys have...  why not allow 2 kinds of medic load-outs...  the easy generic one and a harder but more effective if used right one?

For example, easy medic works like normal, patch X guy wounds he gets healed X amount.  Simple enough.  Don't have to worry about thinking any harder, patch and go.

Hard medic, is a bit more involved... you have kinetic/bullet, fire/burn, internal/getting stuck in... who knows what else. 
Kinetic/bullets pierce and go straight through Shot-up.  Hard medic could visually see this on Shot-up(maybe with a lil icon help[can turn off]) and quickly takes out bandages or something and uses on Shot-up. 
Shot-up gets healed X... +50% or some other sort of bonus to aim stability or run speed.  (Reward for doing it right, you give your teammate a temp buff.)

Fire/burn, flamethrower or laser, it gives Shot-up burns.  Hard medic sees a crispy looking Shot-up and takes out some sort of ointment or something and uses it on Shot-up.
And so on.... same as above.

If Hard Medic messes up and applies the wrong thing, he either only heals the normal X amount or does less X-20% amount or some such.

Could simply make hard medic and easy medic the same...  give the player the option to go for buff healing or normal healing.

Like a semi-commander role.  Everyone would want a hard medic supporting their arse.  And want the enemy hard medic staying dead.  :P

Hah quoting myself.  Classy.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10