Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: New FPS Games in the works... Want YOUR ideas.  (Read 9810 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: New FPS Games in the works... Want YOUR ideas.
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 09:54:05 pm »

Yeah, we're trying to avoid making anyone mad, the goal is something unique, but with some elements people are familiar with possibly.

Sounds like Steampunk would be a bad idea.

The current idea is certainly commando like.

What do you think about a borderlands kind of setup?

I've played and beaten borderlands, loved it, was still disappointed in some aspects though.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 09:56:32 pm »

Well, if you really want to make an impression, don't start your idea with "Like this one game I enjoyed, but different like this..."  Try to start somewhere unique, no necessarily something no one has ever done before, because you'll probably fail.  Rather, just clear your mind of other games and inspirations, and let an idea originate from first principles.  Starting from scratch, what game do you want to play?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 10:11:08 pm »

Make it a roguelike. A good shooter RL is what we need.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 10:17:46 pm »

Make bullets at least kinda realistic, I.E. you can't juggernaut through 20 rounds and then just med-pack up.  Perhaps two HP bars? One is your general life signs, etc. that show you are actually alive. The other would be your.. stress-y, pain bar. Like, taking a bullet causes a good deal of damage to the former, and will continue to unless you are patched up, but it would also massively deplete the latter and cause minor loss after the patch-up. When the first runs out, you're dead, but if the second runs out you pass out. Allies can drag around unconscious people and patch them up, and perhaps give them drugs (or take them themselves) that makes the second bar infinite for a temporary time? I.E. mainline something in the middle of the fight to go all Scottish berserker on 'em.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 10:26:55 pm »

Steampunk can work quite well.
Consider a future where humanity sent colonists everywhere to hog resources. One of these planets, the one we'll play on, is far from the other systems so there's no trade.
Say that some accident happened to the colony ship or that when millenas passed, much technology fell in disuse and though not forgotten, the methods of making new stuff is lost. This sets a setting where steampunk mix with sci-fi and that the player can come accross advanced items they can use.

What kind of aliens, Advanced ones with beams 'n shit or with teeth 'n talons? that kinda sets the feeling of the whole game.

And please, have accurate weapons. I don't understand why the guns in most sci-fi games has the accuracy of a sawn-off shotgun...

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 10:35:56 pm »

What about a more assassin-ey themed game?

Recent tensions between countries X and Y have erupted into full-scale war. You are a member of Group Z, a weapons supply cooperative, which has a vested interest in the outcome of this war - they want it to last.

Your aim is to infiltrate the respective armies of Countries X & Y, and swing the battles in the correct direction, trying to prevent either side having a clear advantage.
You can do this on or off the battle, by killing important officers or preventing supplies etc. reaching where they need to go, or by discreetly poisoning a few important soldiers before the beginning of the battle, or sabotaging their weapons. Each battle's outcome is determined solely by your actions - if the wrong side wins, it's not a failure, but rather a 'set-back' - you'll have to work harder next time.
On Normal mode, the HUD will display important targets, and give you a brief idea of the likely outcome of the battle at a given point in time. On Hard, you'll have to play it by ear, or by infrequent transmissions.

You will of course be working hard to avoid your cover being revealed by either faction, as well as simply to survive the chaos of a full-scale conflict. When the game eventually resolves (I'm not quite solid on how, plot was given the least consideration in this idea) you may even be given a small blurb, showing the result of your actions. Eg. If you did particularly well you get a quick newspaper showing that countries X & Y have massively reduced populations and are struggling economically, if you did poorly you see that Group Z is facing liquidation etc.

EDIT: Of course, this has limitations in multiplayer, unless you could safely minimize lag while simulating a battle.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:43:11 pm by deadlycairn »
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 10:40:11 pm »

I agree with figuring out what game mechanics you want to focus on first. First question should probably be multiplayer focus or singleplayer focus.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 10:53:10 pm »

How's this:

Aliens are friendly, asking you to help them fight off a foe. In no way is there any kind of implication that they are just using you.

But in fact, they are.

The human race is duped, you are the human race's assistance to the aliens, and it's also up to you to reap revenge.

Kind of like Quake 2 if you were fighting along side the aliens, and then suddenly turned against them, among them. Unfortunately, I think this might involve RPG elements which it doesn't sound like your producers are down for?

On that note, MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC. Stress atmosphere and music. Involving the player emotionally and mentally (I.E. immersion) is key point to just about any game.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:55:29 pm by Morsigil »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 11:04:27 pm »

I'm attending my first meeting tomorrow, so I'll be able to have a better idea what it is they're asking for.

The idea which they've told me, I don't agree with one bit. Too cod like imo.

They want to have aliens, as far as I can tell, ones with laser beams and sh**.

Based out of Seattle in the year 2012. Aliens were more or less going just appear around the doomsday of 2012 and so there was no time to implement alien technology into our own. Each alien race was going to inhabit each of our system planets... Just seemed too... plain
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 11:20:24 pm »

One thing I really hate in games is when they make weapons tier.
Make every weapon useful. I should be able to use my gauss pistol from the beginning of the game, and not be forced to swap for a railgun.

Having multiple ways to complete a mission is also a plus, but not always feasible or logical.
Lets say you have to assassinate a military leader; you could sneak through the vents, dodge patrols, or just go in guns blazing. The last way would be the hardest, but if a person wants to I don't see why they shouldn't have the option. Of course, a direct approach like that would lead to other things, like locked doors, increased guards and security measures, and you would need to find a way around that(taking a longer path, hacking the doors, blowing them open, or killing the men before an alarm can sound, stuff like that).

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 02:09:09 am »

What about steampunk mecha?

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 02:22:16 am »

What about steampunk mecha?

That sounds pretty good actually, but not what I believe he is going for.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 02:39:37 am »

I'm attending my first meeting tomorrow, so I'll be able to have a better idea what it is they're asking for.

The idea which they've told me, I don't agree with one bit. Too cod like imo.

They want to have aliens, as far as I can tell, ones with laser beams and sh**.

Based out of Seattle in the year 2012. Aliens were more or less going just appear around the doomsday of 2012 and so there was no time to implement alien technology into our own. Each alien race was going to inhabit each of our system planets... Just seemed too... plain

Aliens conquering our solar system?... Why? What's the point if they can travel the hundreds of light years to our star? Aren't there easier places to settle? At that point, they should be able to practically create matter from nothingness. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that the shadowy corporate types don't give half a damn about any sort of accuracy, story, plot, or... err... anything sensible in that route. It sounds more like they want a "Mario" sort of game: totally nonsensical, a game for the game's sake. Which isn't bad, exactly, but it's not my forte'. Thought I might point it out, though. I've always been of the opinion that you start with an interesting conflict of... err... interest, and all other elements will follow.

This whole doomsday bit... are you saying that the aliens were prophesied? Or perhaps that they'd visited Earth before, played some pranks with the monkey-people, then told 'em to keep things tidy and that they'd be back in a (space) jiffy after stopping off at the (space) pub for a (space) pint?

Hell, is there even going to be a singleplayer campaign?

Steampunk's always neato.

Also, what exactly distinguishes Call of Duty from any other FPS? There's the gritty realism... and... err... well that's it really. You also have the multiplayer perk and weapon-upgrade system.

More questions: what do you want your game to have that other games do not have?

I think I am so completely blowing things out of proportion.

EDIT: Also, what -kind- of FPS are we talking about? Tactical squad-based? Standard run-through-and-rip-and-tear-their-guts, level-by-level Doom-like? Role-playing? Or the new Action-Role-Playing-Shooter embodied in Borderlands? Or none of the above, something different? Multiplayer deathmatch, primarily? So many possibilities.

It sounds more like 'they' want a very traditional, very boring sort of shooter that can be cranked out quickly using largely preexisting textures and models and sounds, thanks to its near-contemporary setting. Wait... I'd swear I'd heard of a game like this... with aliens... Ah! Area 51. Ooh! And it's freeware now! Go Airforce! Well at least some good came of this thread. OOH! And the player character is voiced by agent Fox Mulder! Neato!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 02:53:06 am by Reasonableman »
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 02:51:20 am »

@Reasonableman - Your post is exactly what I wanted. I'm a very story and game-play minded person. I think that their idea is "just because" mostly. I mean year there is the idea of 2012 being the end of the world, but I haven't heard of a reason why the have shown up. A lot of it seems to be "just because". When I refer to COD, I'm relating to the "realistic" and current weapons, ie not futuristic, present day, almost a place someone could relate to.

If I were to think of a game style for an FPS, I think going some place where people haven't been yet IRL, aka space.

However implementing aliens is always the hardest thing to do, cause so many games have done it. I personally love "Alien or Aliens or AvP" universe and the way that it works. However, avoiding copyright would be the biggest thing haha.

I really don't know for sure what direction they want to go, but their idea of COD with aliens, but some how more popular than COD, just doesn't add up.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2009, 03:03:44 am »

My2  favorite FPS of all time were System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. I think the idea of opting for different tactics to solve objectives made them a "thinking mans" FPS. It has been done since i think, but has anyone really done it to the max?

You can do this in any setting. Steampunk Nazis on Pluto? Sure why not.

But seriously...alternate history is pretty cool. How about the future where Nazi Germany won the war? The year is 2056...or maybe 2065  :D . Genetic engineers, cloned Hitler babies, Super powered blond-haired blue eyes devils....oh wait this is not too serious is it?

No, seriously...lets be original.

A rift in the planes has allowed magic to flow once again from the ancient places into the world. The old races, dwarves, elves, orcs at the stuff of fantasy becomes manifest in a futuristic world. Factions struggle for control of the Net, the cyber-fabric which spans the globe and some say is sentient. Oh wait thats not original, thats Shadowrun.

Fine, Shadowrun-esuqe setting, but here is the twist! The player is a pirate in the Carribean! Yes, Pirates of the Cyberribean! HAH! Imagine fighting of gunboats of orcs and invading a dark-elf island enclave to jack into their system and steal their evil technology.

OK, i need to get some sleep.
I got nothing
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10