Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: New FPS Games in the works... Want YOUR ideas.  (Read 9804 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New FPS Games in the works... Want YOUR ideas.
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2010, 05:21:20 am »

As much as it'd be a blatant rip-off, an FPS in the vein of X-Com: UFO Defense would be incredible. Although I doubt you're interested in any such thing, the idea of hybrid tactical FPS action, base and resource management, and first-person co-op missions would be pretty astoundingly awesome.

Ho. Lee. Shit.

Has anyone here ever played Swat 4 or something similar?

Imagine the same kind of gameplay, only more brutally difficult, with X-com elements of resource management, item collection, research, etc., only instead of rednecks, cultists, and communists; Horrible Space Aliens.

I'd so buy that game.
!!&!!

Pathos

« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2010, 03:19:40 pm »

Personally, if I'd've got here earlier, I would've suggested a combination of Dead Rising and Space Hulk. I.E. you land on a space hulk filled with aliens, cultists worshipping them and other survivors and have to try and make your way around the ship.

No, that thingy game does not count. Less that, more System Shock.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2010, 04:02:14 pm »

If this is still up, I would suggest taking an anti-hero concept for the story. Nothing Avatar-like, but more like like werewolves (from world of darkness). The aliens could be living peacefully on earth after the first contact but the heroes discover some plot by the aliens and they end up shunned by both sides and have to sort of be an anti-hero in order to stop it, fighting both humans and aliens alike at first.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2010, 04:20:28 pm »

I wish I really could divulge more, but I run into problems with the non-disclosure agreement I signed...

All I will say Soulwynd is that your idea has been taken into consideration, at least in a certain aspect... Beyond that I can't say much more.

Environment changing effects for all sorts of stuff is a big thing, not just among myself, but the whole group. So it's safe to say, if we can get all kinds of cool stuff put in, we will.

The last meeting I attended (yesterday) our boss said, instead of limiting ourselves to certain types of weapons, why don't we just come up with everything we could possibly imagine that would be in the realm of believable.

This is why I've turned to you guys. I've asked many other people on other forums, but they are far less imaginative.

As a side note you can expect more or less all the current day guns that you see. Quite possible they may be changed around a bit to be different, but ya...

Also if someone could come up with a completely reasonable method for "unlimited" ammo I'd really appreciate it. If you've played Borderlands, like the alien guns or if you've played Mass Effect. If you could make it a clip form, that'd be awesome.

I also want you guys to know that if you come up with a really good idea and it is implemented in game, you will know. Also, I may just look at getting you into a test group if you so desire. PS3, Xbox 360 and PC are the available platforms.

I know that some people have said. "Why are you asking us? Why are you putting your workload on us?" I'm not. I'm asking you guys for stuff YOU want to see in a game.

Final note, you can come up with near any weaponry, if you feel so inclined to draw what you want it to look like, that's perfectly fine. All I ask is that it looks realistic to the best of your ability. (No cartoony weaponry please, like the new power ranger crap...)

---EDIT---

For the sake of me playing dwarf fortress and loving the game... I'm looking at some how adding a magma gun. Whether it's a giant cannon (installation or handheld) idno.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 04:32:04 pm by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2010, 04:37:56 pm »

How about a chainsaw gun?

Maybe you could have a gun that instead of shooting it you set it like a grenade and when you pull the trigger the section/place that you designated it to be there (next to enemy,door or wall) it sucks everything into a vaccum crushing it like an antimatter bomb. you could use it to take down a trio of enemies or destroy sealed/heavy door. You could say that its ammo is made from some rare material so there isnt that much ammo (To be balanced) and you could have that gun instead of grenades. The ammo could be in a capsule/magazine combination and have it sealed tight because its radiated when refined or maybe the ammo itself if caught in a explosion makes a huge implosion kicking you forward. Oh and antiheros/villains for main characters make a great story.*cough*thedarktower*cough*
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2010, 04:43:15 pm »

LOL at the chainsaw bit. We're debating on melee weaponry. We don't want an end all be all knife.

Also, I believe the whole black hole bit has been big in discussion, so you'll almost assuredly see something to that magnitude. It's still under debate, but everyone likes super weapons... BFG 9000 anyone? lol
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2010, 04:51:06 pm »

Take what Huesoo said, but make it a regular projectile.  If you hit the secondary fire while the projectile is in-flight, instead of imploding it blasts outward with enough force to launch people, props, and the like 20 or so feet or cause flying vehicles to lose control.
Shoes...

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2010, 04:56:50 pm »

Some something with a similar effect to the UT2004 game... that gun that shoots a ball and you shoot it with the laser and it blows up, but with a bigger effect and no laser.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2010, 05:01:24 pm »

No its not a super gun but a placer for a grenade that you shoot (Its should be sticky) and then it implodes sucking everything in a 3 feet radius (crushing bones,turning your brain into a liquid) wrecking walls and breaking doors. You could also have a different version that doesnt really do any damage but when it explodes it sends every thing flying and they take damage when they hit some thing. One suggestion could you please please have realistic injuries (not shot in the heart you die from bleeding but I dont want to be able to kill somebody by shooting there foot 20 times)
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2010, 05:05:03 pm »

Damage handling and healing and what have you is under big discussion, we're working on figuring it out.

Grenade ideas are welcome, I'll see what people think about your idea Huesoo and Cthulhu.

gotta split in 20 ish minutes, going to another meeting today.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2010, 05:34:36 pm »

Take a look at World War I Medic for some ideas...  Speaking seriously, I've never seen a game that focused on the rigors of battlefield medicine (sort of), like Call of Duty meets Trauma Center or something.  But I guess that's not what you're talking about.

If I have a suggestion at all, I liked the way Metal Gear Solid 3 made healing wounds, or at least particular damage, into its own little minigame of performing field surgery on yourself.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2010, 06:42:53 pm »

How about a gun that teleports an enemy or lays a mine that teleports an enemy.

Barbed wire gun with hooks on the end. Attach it to walls or people and have fun.

Magma rifle... or just a standard plasma rifle that melts people.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2010, 07:27:50 pm »

Some things I've always wanted in an FPS:

1: A gun that shoots knives
2: A gun that shoots proximity mines
3: A gun that shoots other guns, so your friends can pick them up and shoot people with them

4: Your choice of either personal shields that protect against melee, personal shields that protect against ranged attacks, or a motion sensor that gives you a local map with IFF. Expand this into other equipment ideas. Point is you can't have it all. But if a player is being a punk and knifing everyone for fun, they can spawn with melee shields and stop his ganking.

5: Barbed wire gun is an excellent idea. The first piton shot trails a line of barbed wire to your gun. If you move, you sweep the barbed wire along. The next shot fires another piton which anchors the line between the two, but your gun is connected to Piton 2. You automatically reel in or pay out slack as you move closer or farther. If you run out of wire it just lands on the ground there and can be blown around by explosions, wind, water, etc. Better is to fire a last piton and anchor the end, then either move out of wire range or else alt-fire to cut the wire.

Your gun has a supply of pitons and a supply of wire. You can reload the pitons anytime from an ammo source but to reload the wire you have to eject the current spool and load a new one.

This idea could be used for playing out wire for engineering projects and for ropes for climbing.

---

It would be nice if you made equipment work so the player built his own things. For example, instead of a proximity mine as a single item, include a motion sensor, wires, a detonator, and an explosive. Then if you just add a radio transmitter and a radio receiver you automatically have a radio detonated bomb. Add a digital timer and you get a time bomb. Add a heat sensor and a fire-extinguisher-explosive and he can make a fire control system. You see?

I hear this is kind of like how Space Station 13 works.

This way engineers and demolitionists actually feel like they're doing the thing they're playing, like how a spy feels like a spy because he infiltrates and sneaks, or a marine feels like a soldier because he runs around shooting things.

The medic should have pretty good healing abilities that come out of a kit, which needs replenishing at a medical storehouse or cabinet or sickbay. Perhaps he should need to perform certain tasks for certain wounds - for example, he actually needs to inject painkillers if the patient seems to be in pain (or asks for them), he needs to scan the person to detect wounds (or just hope he can see everything), disinfect, use tools to remove shrapnel or infected tissue, bandages, splints, give antibiotics, more painkillers, probably an adrenaline shot to get him back on his feet, salve for burns, neutralizers for chemical burns, all depending on what the injuries were. This way he feels like he's actually a medic.

Certain places should make you more effective just because there are better stationary tools around. A medic should be able to work faster and better in a hospital. The engineer should be able to do a lot of crazy stuff from main engineering. A security station should have panels for opening/closing/locking/unlocking doors and hatches and valves, releasing stun gas, setting off or canceling alarms, viewing through security cameras, turning remote turrets on or off.

---

You definitely need vehicles. Go for vehicles that have specific game effects. Example:

Skirmisher-type fast vehicle like a jeep with a machine gun pintle mount
Tank-type mobile anti-vehicular vehicle
Artillery-type anti-everything vehicle (but with less armor and slower aiming)
Personnel carrier-type armored but with no weapons or just a single machine gun thing

The vehicles should each have a few loadout variants. Examples:

Skirmisher: MG (standard), Partisan (explosive packs vs buildings), Comm (acts as comm beacon for expanding zone of command or just radio communication and sensors)
Tank: Big Gun (standard), Flamethrower
Artillery: Big Gun (Standard), Rockets
APC: Personnel (Standard), Ammo (carries a whole lot of ammo for vehicles and people), Medical (carries a lot of medical supplies and a couple pieces of large medical equipment), Engineering (more tools and repair supplies)

This should extend to planes (shuttles, dropships, bombers, whatever) and submersibles (possibly amphibious) and hovercraft.

It would be awesome if you included other vehicles that are less than optimal in a fight. Trucks, regular commuter cars, and especially motorcycles.

In fact, if you add just one vehicle, it must be a motorcycle.

If you could figure out how to do modular vehicles, where you assemble a design and then build it, that would be amazing. Modular spaceships? Play a grease-monkey who is saving up for the best engine parts for his sweet vintage motorcycle?

---

You need a built-in voice chat. Only people who are on your comm channel, with the channel password, and who are in range of a comm beacon, can chat in your channel. So when you log in your team picks a channel and a password, and then you want to get out there and plant comm beacons around so your friends are always in comm range.

If you talk and you aren't holding the comm button, the speech is sent to the other nearby players as if you had said it from your position. So you can give yourself away if you make noise in person.

---

Add physical emotes like pointing and waves so people can communicate silently if they want.

---

Consider adding basically everything from Wolfenstien: Enemy Territory. Things like smoke and poison gas grenades, binoculars used to spot mines for your friends, weapons include flamethrower, mortar, bazooka, man-portable (but needs to be entrenched) machine gun, different types of explosive for mines, grenade launchers (not the same as a rocket launcher or missile launcher), spies that can steal uniforms, field ops being able to call in airstrikes or artillery, ability to kick a thrown grenade or airstrike flare or gas canister.

---

Different weights of personal armor like in Tribes 2. Heavy armor is more protective. Also base stations that can be built to help the team and stationary turrets (those are also in Team Fortress?)

---

Definitely needs to be objective-based. People need to always have something to do, whether defending or attacking, and unless the other side is just sitting around a defender will always be able to reinforce the defense somehow.

---

Different ammo types. One is good against armor, but punches through (possibly hurting someone behind). Another fragments when it hits, which is bad when it hits armor but will deliver all its damage to the target instead of punching through. It also reduces collateral damage like poking a hole in a wall panel leading to a power conduit or fuel line or into space. You should have non-human mobiles for each type also, so robots are hurt more by the AP rounds while animals and aliens and such are hurt more by the EX rounds.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2010, 07:43:20 pm »

Only thing I would like to see is fucking realistic aiming. I don't damn want to just pull the trigger and magically hit something, I want to fucking AIM like I would do in a real battlefield. After all the FPS that have totally FAILED to do that I want to see something that uses skill to hit the guy, not point-and-shoot
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 07:47:09 pm by Megaman »
Hello Hunam

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2010, 07:57:13 pm »

How about a gun that teleports little monsters inside of someone? It would be a hard weapon to wield, but if you manage to hit something it would be well worth it watching your target get eaten from the inside out.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10