Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: New FPS Games in the works... Want YOUR ideas.  (Read 9789 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New FPS Games in the works... Want YOUR ideas.
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2010, 08:02:56 pm »

Depending on how smart your AI is, and how nasty you want the game, how about grenades with a holographic projector and a proximity detector. Throw grenade, hologram pops up with suitably heavily injured enemy soldier, enemy comes to help, boom.

If morale is in the game, the Headshot cannon. Sucks up enemy heads from their bodies and fires them. Close range it can do very heavy damage, but even if your lobbing them over a wall, the enemy will freak out when they see Bill's head fall among them.

If you include lasers, don't make them like the blasters of starwars and almost every other game with a "laser" weapon in it. Depending on how much power it has, you would need to keep it on the target for a couple of seconds to do damage. However, with enough power and focus, you can slash at close range enemies to make shallow cuts in them. Think that septum sempra spell that Harry works Draco over with. The cuts aren't likely to be lethal, but are very likely to at least disable the enemy for a bit.

For some reason, I have an immense desire to see antiinfantry pigs, but I doubt that would pass muster due to animal cruelty.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2010, 08:11:54 pm »

It could involve lobsters. Killing lobsters evidently isn't torture. I forget who I'm quoting: toss a lobster in a pot and boil it alive while it screams, and you're called a chef, but do the same to a kitten and suddenly everyone has a problem with it!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2010, 08:33:40 pm »

Things I'd like to see in a FPS (or any games that features guns):

• Clips instead of ammo count. If you reload you throw away the ammo you had in a clip.
  • Different types of ammo for each of the weapons, such as armor piercing, explosive, non-lethal, super-sonic, hollow point, metal jacket, etc ... If you need, I can give detail on each type of ammo as well, as ... I have used most of those irl.
  • Weapon customization, different types of sights, stocks, grips, barrels, attachments, etc. I can give detail as well.

Also if someone could come up with a completely reasonable method for "unlimited" ammo I'd really appreciate it. If you've played Borderlands, like the alien guns or if you've played Mass Effect. If you could make it a clip form, that'd be awesome.
Personal nano-forge. Fits inside a tactical backpack and weights less than five kilos. You throw in any form of matter and it will reconstruct it into bullets over time. You need a combination of organic and metallic matter. Metal will be used for the bullet and case, organic will be used to create explosive, most likely extracting hydrogen and super pressurizing and then any battery in the gun can be used to create a spark to light the charge. So there you go. Turn weapons, depleted clips, scrap metal, dead aliens, plants, your neighbor's annoying dog,  and human body parts into ammo.

Perhaps it can be configured for several calibers and ammo types. The battery for the nanoforge could be a self-contained micro nuclear fission generator, with enough juice for 10 years of awesome ammo making.

Beware: Don't stick your finger or any protuberances inside the nanoforce, as it can be a really exceptional method of male neutering.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2010, 08:46:19 pm »

Clips instead of ammo count. If you reload you throw away the ammo you had in a clip.

Alternate reload that tosses the half-depleted clip back into storage?

Way to reload clips, though takes time?

Also, how about something like a portal, but the destination is scrambled? (imagine scrambling the positions of the pixels in an image...) Depending on the resolution, anything going through would be cut into blocks (and the blocks do not come out stacked), or ground into a fine powder. Momentum would be retained, but a bullet that has gone through will be dealing with many times more air resistance, and be more like a short range micro-sandstorm, maybe the size of a baseball, so basically ineffective.

Image talking to your buddy beside you as you walk, and he stumbles into one, and all you see is an outpouring of red sticky "dust" that piles up at the base.

Balancing: Superweapon, only open for ~10 seconds, 20 second recharge, visual scrambling?
Would be great to use against people retreating while still facing the enemy... Also, vehicles.
Eh?
Eh!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2010, 08:50:35 pm »

Clips instead of ammo count. If you reload you throw away the ammo you had in a clip.

Alternate reload that tosses the half-depleted clip back into storage?

Way to reload clips, though takes time?
Yeah, that sort of inventory management would be required. It's present in 7.62mm high calibre, for example. It's a great tactical game. Not an FPS tho. I'd like to see that sort of thing more present in FPS.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2010, 08:55:02 pm »

3: A gun that shoots other guns, so your friends can pick them up and shoot people with them

'sup dawg, I heard you like guns ...

Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

A_Big_Bear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2010, 09:58:32 pm »

Some kind of a EMP grenade or device. Basically, it would stop vehicles from working, lasers become useless, anything electronic needs to be repaired, well anything affected by it would need to be repaired. This wouldn't harm living creatures. It could also affect the comm channel and beacons that Leoleonardo suggested.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2010, 01:45:51 am »

We more or less have all the ammo variants discussed, at least for "normal" weaponry. HE, AP, Lapua, whatever else. One of my co-workers is real big on ammo types, so yeah...

EMP's have been discussed to death. They will be seen in game in a few different methods.

I like the barb wire idea, I'll see what my co-workers think of that. We're trying to come up with some more of those "trap" "movement impeding" whatever else kind of deals and putting them in game.

The gun shooting guns... No. =-P

While I was at dinner we were discussing current nanotechnology utilizing nanotubes and what have you. We've more or less come up with a viable method comparable to Soulwynd's. It was an in-weapon design though. The backpack idea, reusing materials, is really appealing, I'll bring that up.

Clips seem like a better deal, but how you handle ammo is kind of a determining factor for that. I would expect to see that in COD, but with what we're discussing about "unlimited" ammo, I'm not too sure. I'll leave it up there.

At qwerty's suggestion, that's an interesting idea, I'm not sure how the others will take it. They're pushing for the realm of reason and how things work. So a very definable reason of how it works would be necessary.

HideousBeing - You're more or less referring to the gun off of Half-Life (not 2).

At the healing, we don't want to get very indepth, at least for a multiplayer aspect. Some people would dislike the "excessive" involvement in healing a person. Maybe taking Americas Army approach? Idno...

Leoleonardo - Your ideas are certainly considerable, I'll see what they think about em. A variety of vehicles is important, would be more fun than just one type of each vehicle would be more appealing. "Loadout Variants" is probably the best thing of all those suggestions. If not just for the player, but for the AI as well and for choosing of vehicles. IE a tank with AA loadout and a tank with an anti-infantry loadout, but both still with the main cannon or w/e.

Shielding and armor is still being discussed. I'm not too sure what else to say about that, but I will push for a heavy armor slows the character, lighter armor not as much. etc.

All great ideas. =-D

I'm not sure about the bases idea, just because of the nature of the game, buuuuuuut we'll see how that gets thrown around at the next meeting.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2010, 03:41:01 am »

How about a melee weapon that is like brass knuckels, but insted of brass, it is a steel powerglove, and instead of knuckels, it has extendable spears?

For a BFG, you could always have an anti-matter gun, that makes people vanish in a puff of light, but because it is so dangerous, it has to lock onto targets individually, which can take a while depending on their distance.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2010, 03:52:24 am »

@Healing...  with the tons of weapons each doing different types of damage you guys have...  why not allow 2 kinds of medic load-outs...  the easy generic one and a harder but more effective if used right one?

For example, easy medic works like normal, patch X guy wounds he gets healed X amount.  Simple enough.  Don't have to worry about thinking any harder, patch and go.

Hard medic, is a bit more involved... you have kinetic/bullet, fire/burn, internal/getting stuck in... who knows what else. 
Kinetic/bullets pierce and go straight through Shot-up.  Hard medic could visually see this on Shot-up(maybe with a lil icon help[can turn off]) and quickly takes out bandages or something and uses on Shot-up. 
Shot-up gets healed X... +50% or some other sort of bonus to aim stability or run speed.  (Reward for doing it right, you give your teammate a temp buff.)

Fire/burn, flamethrower or laser, it gives Shot-up burns.  Hard medic sees a crispy looking Shot-up and takes out some sort of ointment or something and uses it on Shot-up.
And so on.... same as above.

If Hard Medic messes up and applies the wrong thing, he either only heals the normal X amount or does less X-20% amount or some such.

Could simply make hard medic and easy medic the same...  give the player the option to go for buff healing or normal healing.

Like a semi-commander role.  Everyone would want a hard medic supporting their arse.  And want the enemy hard medic staying dead.  :P
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2010, 04:27:59 am »

I'm not a terrible fan of most FPS games. Most sorta bore me with its repetitive game play.

Gimmicky guns detract from story telling as it tends to make the guns the main point of the game. Gimmicky mechanics has a similar issue, like I think fracture?? The one where you could adjust ground levels.

It would be really nice to have an organic feel for the weaponry for the universe, that exist because they were needed, and not because they are cool. Red Faction does this mostly (haven't played after red faction one, stopped once I got bored with burrowing through everything.), as does Halo, and COD, MOH (though thats a side affect of its genre mimicking RL weaponry, except a few fantastical games in the setting.)

Something that also breaks my immersion from FPS is seeing the rails of the environment that forcing me to go to Object A, especially if they are very overt like invincible chain link fences, or invisible walls. GOW2 has painfully visable rails, that detracted me from the game play as if felt like I was on an amusement park ride. MOH: Rising Sun does a wondrous job of hiding its rails through the game, (About 60 percent the time.) Halo series does a much better job at through out. TF2 has an interesting mechanic for this by making the unplayable areas of the game look uninteresting, and thusly not encouraging exploration. (If you could go over to them, which you can't.)

Covering mechanics mostly suck in games that attempt them, they make you feel glued to a surface, on tracks instead of being area and action context sensitive. I don't have any real suggestion on how to make this better, just that contemporary tries at this mechanic have been unsatisfactory. Though it did seem that KOTOR series (not strictly a shooter game), did seem to use a cover system that didnt make you glued to the wall, as did Dues Ex, but that may have been due to it its RPG elements.

Guns, all guns have a spread of shoot making concussive pin point accuracy nearly impossible and a true feet when accomplished in reality, this is generally mimic in games with a widing targeting reticle with extended firing times, this works fine though a poor replication of what its trying to simulator. There is a metric for this spread, that escapes me, I'll edit the post if I can find it again or remember. It would be nice to see a different approach to this affect of guns.

There are various antics with guns though small, would be nice; holstering, brandishing, switching firing arm, safeties, firing modes, willful steading of aim (holding one breath, firing on exhale, firing between heart beats).

It would neat to have antics in relation to these antics.

If this is going to be near future, there are various techs that will be available soonish, as as the landmaster system that been in dev. by the army for almost 15 years, sonic weaponry and the coolest I think is power armor.

Power armor of any weight though shouldn't slow down the infantry then what the expected movement they are suppose to have now, as that one of their major advantage. That is if you going for a realistic approach, if its for a hard balancing mechanic, then go for it.

There a few things that exist right now, that are very awesome, as as UltraClot, a room temp clotting material that anti septic, and can be self applied with ease that doesn't require opening the wood for suturing or covering.

There are various armors being looked out currently, into ceramics, nano carbon tubes and few other freakish ones, like one looking into replacing a certain fish scale for its kinetic impact resistance and low fracturing.

Probably the major step for hand held weapon would be caseless ammunition and reducing its moving parts, and move toward being made out of polymers instead of alloys for reduced weight and higher readability.

Direct Energy Weapons being man portable is probably out of range for a very long time, and would have to be a far future +60 years, though machine mounted versions and artilary could be around before then.

If power armor is in play, then its reasonable that a break through in researching room temp or near room temp superconductors has been made, in reach case linear motors, gauss weapons and rail guns would be probably be more likely, as they have less moving parts then a DEW would, be more reliable and easier to repair. They also have the great advantage of not requiring additional volitive chemicals with them, that lasers, ion, lighting guns would, and just be using dense inert farris(sp) pellets.

Things like anti matter, would probably never be weaponized, due to its extreme expensive in making it, justing making a few pounds from estimates for anti matter power space craft, would bankrupt the world econ and that something would require a far future setting for it to be plausible.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2010, 05:59:32 am »

I really like your input MrWiggles. It further reinforces the dislikes I having for my co-workers ideas of where our technology is heading... Next meeting with everyone, I'm going to try to be abundantly clear as to my ideas of it and all. They can't even seem to wrap their head around nano-technology...
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2010, 08:12:31 am »

A plasma gun should have infinite ammo. Just take air, superheat it and throw it at someone.

But what do you mean by infinite ammo? With reloading? For all weapons?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2010, 08:47:19 am »

In some cases, fun should trump realism.

As for a possible explaination of how that earlier one might work...

(Backstory)
Government has been researching technology to create two planes of quantum teleportation to seamlessly join to points. It wasn't working out well, though. For one, if the planes were even two feet apart, it wouldn't work at all. Another issue that they couldn't overcome was keeping the planes' particles in alignment. Due to those issues and others, they cut funding and canceled the project. But one of the scientists thought they could turn it into a weapon, and set to work making a portable portal generator. It would place them back to back and used the scrambling as a feature. But getting it down to handheld size was impossible, so that project, too, was discarded. However, that scientist never fully quit working on it, secretly and on his own time, since nobody was funding it. The player could then come across it in a hidden room with about 10 seconds of dialogue, etc.

If that doesn't work, maybe say that the field it created causes all molecules passing through to break up into their individual atoms?

If you must, maybe toss in alien technology, and say that they (too?) had given up on seamless portals and just ignored that line of research.
Eh?
Eh!

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2010, 09:46:15 am »

Before you go on a mission you should be able to choose a pistol,rifle/automatic,explosive and melee. I would just love going through missions collecting different weapons and maybe having a hidden weapon in each level. Uppercutting aliens with a space katana would be my dream.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10