Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions: seed everywhere, and a strange mood.  (Read 802 times)

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions: seed everywhere, and a strange mood.
« on: December 02, 2009, 08:38:41 pm »

My seed stockpile only has two barrels in it, one of which isn't being used for some reason, while the other has my original seed bag in it, and both are full. Now my plump helmet spawn are covering the floor of that room, and the other barrel is -still- empty.

Also, one of my dwarves has succumb to a strange mood. He wants rough gems, which I have in a box not a few feet from him. Is it only a matter of someone going and grabbing it for him, or is this an indication that what he's looking for isn't in that box?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Questions: seed everywhere, and a strange mood.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 08:53:31 pm »

Also, one of my dwarves has succumb to a strange mood. He wants rough gems, which I have in a box not a few feet from him. Is it only a matter of someone going and grabbing it for him, or is this an indication that what he's looking for isn't in that box?
He's most likely looking for other items, and will only take the rough gems after he gets what he wants.  Wait a bit and he'll yell something else.  Alternatively, make sure the gems and the bin aren't forbidden, tasked, or marked for dumping or melting.
As to the first question, I still haven't found out.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 08:55:24 pm »

Seeds go into bags, which can optionally be stored in barrels.  If you have no more bags, then the seeds will be stored one per stockpile tile.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 09:00:46 pm »

Thanks! She wants bones too, so she's probably waiting for those first.

The seed bag thing makes sense. And here I thought bags were essentially useless.

Thanks again for the help.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 09:26:25 pm »

To detour, bags are useful and essential to many industries.
- Seeds are stored in bags
- Milling jobs are stored in bags - flour, dye, meaning that you require bags to dye items
- Collect sand jobs require a bag a sand
- Bags are alternative to coffers/chests/boxes, useful when some dwarves esp. nobles have a preference for a fabric.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 09:45:08 pm »

To detour, bags are useful and essential to many industries.
- Seeds are stored in bags
- Milling jobs are stored in bags - flour, dye, meaning that you require bags to dye items
- Collect sand jobs require a bag a sand
- Bags are alternative to coffers/chests/boxes, useful when some dwarves esp. nobles have a preference for a fabric.

I have read many times that sand is collected in bags, and I guess I must've just kind of put it aside mentally. I'm still learning the game. I guess I better get producing/buying bags for my seeds and (hopefully) future sand.

yeahchris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 12:01:39 am »

If I recall correctly sometimes when asking for raw gems they may actually specifically want glass, but I may be wrong.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 01:57:50 am »

If I recall correctly sometimes when asking for raw gems they may actually specifically want glass, but I may be wrong.
The only time a specific type of material is needed is when the dwarf has a preference for a type of metal.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 11:31:16 am »

In this case, you are - mood demands for glass are always stated differently from rough gems. Secretive moods distinguish between "rough gems" and "glass"/"glass and burning wood"/"rough gems and glass", and possessions ask for "rough... color" or "raw... green"/"raw... clear"/"raw... crystal"; fey moods always state exactly what they want.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 11:30:21 pm »

One of the first things you'll want to do once your fort settles down is build up a reserve of bags. This is pretty easy, either grow some pig tails, harvest cave spider silk if you have it (I'd recommend against GCS silk... unless you like funtm), use some leather, or buy seize a bin of cloth from the elves and have a dwarf with clothesmaking enabled produce bags at a clothier's workshop (shortcut 'k' in the 'b'uild->'w'orkshops menu). A dozen should be fine unless you're running a bag-heavy industry like dying, cooking milled or bagged plants, or glassmaking, then you'll want a large buffer to prevent one industry getting too backed up.

In general, forts build wealth like crazy once you get a few dozen dwarves, and any storage medium will be in demand. Bins, barrels, and bags are all awesome.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325