Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Spiralcrystal a Community Fortress (SG VIII mod)  (Read 4244 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Community Fortress using Sparkgear VIII mod
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 08:31:31 am »

Carver's Journal: 1st Hematite, 77

The advantage to being sieged by the walking, talking trees is that when you kill'em, you get wood leftovers ;D

But being made of wood, they don't leave delicious, tasty BONES to CARVE

It's a shame the Prophet didn't call upon a curse onto the creatures of this land to transform them into monsters, the same way he cursed the blue stone to smolder eternally. I would gladly love the challenge of filling them with bolts CARVED from the corpses of their brethren...\

...Lookin' forward to that letter
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 08:49:58 am »

You did say there was a cave river, right?

Yup, there'll be monsters.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 01:30:19 pm »

Monsters, dangerous stones, and walking trees.  Sounds like a great location for a hunting lodge.  I demand to know the contents of this letter so I know who I am to blame for being stuck out in this godforsaken hole in the middle of nowhere.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 03:21:33 pm »

Brother,

I know I have not always been a strong believer in the gods.  Certainly not as ardent of a worshiper as you.

Things change.

However, a stone seldom rolls by itself.  As you may recall, I was absent at the rededication of father's tomb two months past.  You were as well, but through fault of birth not accident.  I'm told it was a wonderful affair. Dancing dwarvish maidens wearing nothing but bells in their oiled beards, the best food and drink, and a newly engraved marble and obsidian tomb for father set directly in the middle of the floor of his favorite drinking hall and brothrel....now a temple dedicated to his goddess Mothram the Gristly Buttock.

But enough of that.  As I implied earlier, something happened to me that day.  I had been drinking heavily even by dwarvish standards, preparing myself to face the noble louts that would be at the party.  As I went into my bedroom to get changed, I noticed something new.  A golden lever had appeared in the center of the room, with a note attached.  On it was written, "Pull me, if you wish to see truth."

Now you know how I am around levers.  If I see a new one, I have to pull it, just to see what it does.  Well this one opened a grate in the floor that had been concealed by a rug.  The rug I was standing on.

Three things I realized almost immediatly as I fell:
Having one's rooms constructed over a magma pool so that one can have constantly heated bathwater and warm floors might not have been so clever.
Vertigo and drinking do not mix well.
I was going to die.  Die a horribly painful death.

I did the only thing I could do.  I prayed to Zes Diamondbronze, twin sister to your own goddess Sarvesh the Iron of Glows.

I landed in the magma, but it did not burn my flesh.  I swam to the side of the pit and crawled out.  As I stripped out of my ichor covered clothes, a voice spoke to me.  It was my goddess.  She said, "My sister and I have saved your body from our fires, but not your soul.  Through its heat you will see what must be done."

I have never felt such agony.  I would rather never touch alcohol for the rest of my life than do so again.  But know I knew why I had felt something was not right in the kingdom.  For a few short moments I truly saw the world.  Not as you or I can see it now, with our eyes, but from above, from within, from below.  There are things in this world our teachers never told us about.

The kobolds, our ancient rivals are the least of our worries.  Dark forces are circling our kingdom, waiting for what I do not know, but I do know they will attack soon.  I have compiled a list of nearby entities you may see, including some you may have thought to be legend and others you may never have heard of.  Some are friendly, some are thieves, but most will mercilessly seek to destroy all that we hold dear.  They will move against Ilirdodok first, as long as you do not attract too much attention to yourself.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not all enemies are from without.  Mothram has allied herself with the demons, and seeks to overthrow her sisters from their rightful thrones.  Any of her followers are to be suspected.  Do not act against them. I do not wish to reveal our knowledge, but do keep an eye on any that should appear.

Meanwhile I am pursuing my own holy endeavor.  The goddess has revealed that we need stronger weapons than silver, bronze, and iron to win the day.  I am to find and excavate the forbidden ore of the deep.  If I accidentally release the demons that reside within, Ilirdodok will be destroyed from below.  But we need the ore to survive. 

That is why I sent you on this mission.  Who would suspect a hunting lodge built by the king's bastard brother of being something more?  You are to maintain the facade of a hunting lodge on the surface, at least for the present time.  Tell any that arrive that the king expects nothing but the best, and wishes a lodge that rises far above the surface, containing rooms for himself and his entire court, as well as any other important guests that come to see him.  Tell them that as a faithful follower of Zes Diamondbronze, he recquires magma to be available in his rooms so that he may adequately worship.  What you will actually be constructing is a refuge for if all else should fail.

My honor guard and the hunting guides I sent you with know of these plans. Other than these few, share this information only with those you can trust.  I will send more information with our merchants' wagons each summer.

Try not to forget the lessons our nanny, Kel Ironbosom tought us.  And try to remember that not all iron is mined from rock.

Your brother,
Cog Gearfainted

p.s. As one of royal blood, even though diluted, your followers you to show courage.  They expect nothing less than keeping a route open into the heart of the fortress to encourage our enemies to approach.  Try not to disappoint them.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 03:35:42 pm by Zifnab »

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 03:34:20 pm »

Drostan's Journal: 9th Hematite, 77

Somehow he knew.  Cog knew there was magma.  We found it today.  Fred had decided to extend the stairs into the deep, to build bedrooms away from any noise when he found the obsidian.  He put the plans for sleeping quarters on hold and imediately started trying to find the top layer of magma.  It didn't take him long.

Damn him anyway!  How does he expect me to be able to pull this off?  And is he just crazy, or did the goddess actually speak to him.  Our father had the madness in the end, and Cog has never been shy about his many lovers.

Even if he is not crazy, what does he expect me to do about it.  I was having trouble enough setting up a base camp, let alone a building a royal palace/lodge/refugee camp, or worrying about mythical creatures like werewolves, giants, gnomes, and minotaurs.  And what is a treant andyway?

15th Hematite, 77

I need to stop feeling sorry for myself.  In my angst, I made a big mistake.  Xieg got the archer's post constructed, but I forgot to have him finish building the bridge to let wagons in to trade.  The merchants came today, but the wagons rolled on, taking any messages from Cog with them.  From now on I need to stay vigilant.  And speaking of keeping an eye on things, I have activated Fred for military duties.  He is going to be stationed in the archer's nest until the merchants leave.  I don't want any stinking kobold or goblin thieves sneaking around.

20th Hematite, 77

I traded some stew and a few groundhog totems for some nickel bars, crystal opals, cloth, meat, and plump helmets.  Not much of each, but there wasn't much available without the wagons here.  The bridge is up now though.

I also met with the trade liason, Udib Galleylabored.  Seemed like a nice dwarf.  I requested food, drink, seeds, and steel bars.  I'm hoping they also bring an anvil.  I sure wish the king would have let us bring an anvil along.  But someone might have noticed that an anvil is not typically needed for a hunting lodge.

17th Malachite, 77

The merchants finally left today.  Not a whole lot else has been happening.  Xieg has been building walls around the edge of our base camp.  Carver has been carving bone bolts out of mountain goats, groundhogs, and marmots. 

When I relieved Fred of duty, he seemed disappointed.

"I didn't even get to shoot at anything," he said.  "Most boring military job I've been a part of."

"Would wanton slaughter of cute little animals cheer you up?" I asked.

Fred's eyes lit up.  He ran off chasing a mountain goat before I could even finish saying, "be sure to bring some bodies back, we need to keep the stew pots full."
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 04:17:46 pm by Zifnab »

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spiralcrystal a Community Fortress (SG VIII mod)
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 08:08:31 pm »

It's a shame the Prophet didn't call upon a curse onto the creatures of this land to transform them into monsters, the same way he cursed the blue stone to smolder eternally. I would gladly love the challenge of filling them with bolts CARVED from the corpses of their brethren...\

Don't worry, there will be plenty of bones to carve.  In fact rigt now I am running a few months ahead in the game as compared to what I have posted, and you have all the bones you can handle.  And not all from Fred's kills either.

Also, if anyone's dwarf is approaching permanant military skill levels I'll let you know.  Fred is the only one so far.  He's at expert marksdwarf.  I've switched him over to using an obsidian sword for hunting.  Let me know if you would rather have him use a hammer.

In fact if there is anything in specific you would like your dwarves to be doing, let me know in the thread or PM if you want it secret.

Right now Xieg is continuing to improve our fortifications, Carver is carving, and Fred is hunting.  He was mining, but he is pretty much keeping the fortress in food variety since we only have the  plump helmet we started with, and wild strawberries and prickleberries we gathered.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 11:46:30 pm »

Of course having a dwarf slaughter small animals is a great idea!

Well, just try and not have him die. And using an obsidian sword is fine. Heck, he could use the stats.

I'd  like him to get a little skill in some sort of craft too, in case a strange mood would fall upon him.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:54:24 am by tehstefan »
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 07:59:20 am »

Have any enemies other than the resident wildlife come for us yet?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 08:43:03 am »

Drostan's Journal: 24th Malachite, 77

A group of migrant dwarves arrived today.  None of them appear to be worshipers of Mothrom the Gristly Buttock, but we  can't be too careful.  Here is the list of who arrived and any animals they brought:

milker
bowyer
jeweler
2 peasants
animal dissector
child
donkey foal
lye maker
cook

Why would anyone bring a child to a hunting lodge out in the middle of nowhere? 

I've started the peasants training to be wrestlers.  The cook has taken over cooking duties.  The milker is making some stone mugs.  I'm having the bowyer take over wood cutting duty from Kol.  We need him to build beds, barrels, and bins.  The rest are going to help Xieg with the walls and do some mining.

4th Limestone, 77

The animal dissector's kid ran up to me today.  "I want a puppy." he demanded.

"We don't have any puppies."

Lokum, our animal trainer/farmer interrupted, "We do now.  In fact we have 17 of them.  But Carver and I have claimed them all.  The ones that won't do for war dogs will go for the cookpots.  Carver told me that puppy bones are perfect for carving crafts."  "Wouldn't you much rather have a puppy bone idol to carry around?" he asked little Helmstunnel. 

The kid ran away with a look of horror on his face.  Lokum is such an ass.  I think I like him.

6th Limestone

I was working on the room that will become my office when I heard a knock on the wall.  "Come on in."

Fred entered, "I'm glad to see you put those peasants to work as soldiers.  But if we get invaded, I'm going to be the one up above shooting at our enemies.  I'd like something more substancial in between me and any siegers than a pair of soft, doughy peasant hands.  Can't you have them train with real weapons."

"We don't have an anvil for a forge."  I answered.  "So we really just have the one war hammer that is available, and I am sure Xieg would be a little angry if he went to grab his hammer to bash some kobold skulls and it wasn't there."

Fred looked at me as if I had drank dye as a child.  "No metal, but we do have a few of these now."  He tossed a piece of rock at me and walked back out of my office.

Obsidian.  Of course.  Can I be blamed for only having seen rock blades in display cases?  Probably.  I am in charge now.

The stonecrafter will be making a few rock swords.

2nd Timber

More migrants.  Good.  We could use a few more in the kitchen, a few more trainees, and some haulers.  And a miner came carrying his pick.  He is going straight to work.  Mining goes pretty slow with only two miners.

miner (pick!)
2 peasants
butcher
weaver
stoneworker
thresher
mule
cat
cook

On a side note, we need to secure a source of water.  Don't have time now, but if someone were to get injured and we got sieged, the nearest source just won't do.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 08:57:20 am »

Drostan's Journal: 18th Timber, 77

Finally we see some signs of life that aren't mountain goats, marmots, and groundhogs.  A week ago a cougar and a deer arrived on the map.  Fred was asleep at the time, but when he woke up a band of rhesus macaque had also arrived.  It took him about a day to kill all the monkeys, and this morning he killed the cougar.

Carver appeared enthused about the cougar.  "Well its not like its a monster or invader or anything, but I've always felt that bolts made from predator's bone fly more true.  They've got the killer instinct.  Speaking of invaders, think we'll see any soon.  I'm getting bored with animals."

"I honestly expected to see at least a thief by now.  Maybe they don't know we are here yet," I replied.

26th Timber

Kol, one of my Honor Guards started acting strange today.  He was telling a hilarious adventure story over a pint when he immediately stopped talking and walked out of the room.  Xieg is pretty concerned about his fellow guard, and has been keeping an eye on him.  He has reported that he took two logs to the carpenter's workshop and has started work on some project.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 02:11:59 pm »

I wouldn't mind signing up as the Cook, let em cook, and only cook. ;) Legendary cooks make such a great addition to a fortress, keeping dwarves happy and lots of value in roasts to trade.

If female name it Berta.
If male, Alfonzo.
Either way, I'd like their profession customized to Chef. :) and to see the relationships/thoughts pages.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 03:40:51 pm »

heh. Legendary carpenter here we come! Which was why I wanted some talents. And oh god, obsidian short swords for sparring. Their going to kill each other!

Anyone tanning and using the hides of the numerous things I kill? I bet some leather armour's better than nothing.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2009, 05:19:33 pm »

@Haika
ou have a couple of choices.  The first is Kel Workedivy, who's description is in one of the first posts.  She is a brewer/herbalist and sometimes a cook.  The second is

who is from one of the imigrant waves.  She currently is a competent cook and also a hauler.

@ tehstefan
I've had Kol make some wooden bucklers and shields.  Glazeanvils, an immigrant butcher, has been making leather armor.

Anyone know what the damage modifier for [sharp] stones is?  Our only other option for training is one dwarf at a time using the silver war hammer.  Hopefully I'm not just slaughtering the peasants.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 07:54:38 pm »

Can I claim Lokum? The grower/butcher/tanner/animal trainer/armorsmith? If so, can he renamed to "Romano"?

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 08:06:52 pm »

Libash sounds good to me. Renamed to Chef Berta.  ;D

If you can turn off Hauling that'd be great, but really that's up to you. Not sure how badly you need haulers.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5