Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slavery  (Read 1372 times)

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slavery
« on: December 02, 2009, 05:54:37 am »

Hi there dwarf modders.  im way (way) new to the forums, so excuse me if i stuff up :P

so, i have been wondering about adding in slavery to my game.  the ability to not only tame and train animals but the other races in DF.

the way it would work is that you could capture enemies and effectivley incorporate them into your fort.  they would be able to do tasks (such as mine and be recruits, although they could be more like war-animals), maybe even earn their way out of slavery and become part of your fortress.

they would have seperate happyness, and the death of a slave would only effect the wider dwarven population if the slave was liked enough by the dwarfs. (if tht makes sense).  to balance out the whole thing, the 'slave happyness' might be used to create slave uprisings ect.

is this possible DF modders?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slavery
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 05:56:49 am »

You're talking about modding entire new social structures and all their ramifications into DF. This isn't possible.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the contents of the raw files in order to get a feel for what you can and can't edit yourself.

I have heard of people putting the [PET] tags on intelligent creatures to make them trainable, but I forget what the results are. You might want to do a search on the forums to see if you come up with anything.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 10:12:00 am »

You can add  [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to dwarves to purchase them from start and trade them from caravans. But don't add PET, it disables jobs.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 10:43:32 am »

You can add  [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to dwarves to purchase them from start and trade them from caravans. But don't add PET, it disables jobs.

.... wow! Do these purchased dwarves behave, and are they controlled, like normal community members?

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 10:49:01 am »

Would be cool to have slavery, esp if you do the dark dwarves mod would make sense, but would also be good to have slaves do limited tasks, like they could farm/gather plants/mine/masons/chop trees/be soldiers, but they have limits to how high they can train skills etc.  So a bunch of mediocre crossbowmen, or a bunch of masons to build your walls, all that funness

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes metal for its screaming guitars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 12:55:40 pm »

Why should slaves be limited in their skill levels? Sure, you probably don't want your slaves to be particularly skilled in dangerous skills, but I see no reason why it's inherently impossible for them to achieve those levels. Makes for interesting stories too. Particularly if your economy becomes dependent on slave labour.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 04:47:21 pm »

why do some races have the ethics tags for slavery? is it included at least in a small way into the game?

i had an idea last night; perhaps i could just make slave versions or the races, and do what deon said and tag them as [common_domestic]. so slave dwarfs, slave elfs, slave humans, slave goblins etc.  make them up as trainable craetures that can learn and are able to use items.

would there be some way of changing captured enemies INTO these slave races (like with a reaction tag?)

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 07:32:01 pm »

Certain races have the ethics:slavery tag, because during wars, etcetera, during worldgen, those civilizations have a probability of taking slaves. If you have ever adventured into goblin fortresses, chances are you have found slaves from other races, or even of other goblin civilizations. I believe it has little use beyond this.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 01:40:54 am »

Certain races have the ethics:slavery tag, because during wars, etcetera, during worldgen, those civilizations have a probability of taking slaves. If you have ever adventured into goblin fortresses, chances are you have found slaves from other races, or even of other goblin civilizations. I believe it has little use beyond this.

Ooh, I found a human town that had an elf slave in it once. It was funny, because the slave was technically the last elf in the ENTIRE WORLD, and was the king of his civ.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 02:20:51 am »

but could a reaction be made to turn captured entities into a slave version of their race?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 05:36:49 am »

You can't use macro creatures in reactions or produce non-vermin from them.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 01:28:54 am »

damn. any idea why?  what about using a caged creature?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 01:40:24 am »

The reason why is the game just doesn't support it yet and isn't meant to. I forget what happens if you try.

It doesn't matter if the creature is caged.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 04:58:20 pm »

I forget what happens if you try.
For reagents, it disables the reaction.  For the product, you get a vermin.  Vermin are technically teleporting items flagged as targets of the [VERMINHUNTER] tag.  Reactions are only designed to use and create items, and nothing else.  Hence why vermin are made and only vermin are used.

There is also nothing in the product or reagent definition tags that provides room for contents.  I assume the reason for this is so that you don't have a reaction that produces, say, a stone filled with cheese; the cheese would probably be inaccessible due to stones not being proper container items (but this is just a guess).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:01:08 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember