Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Quitting Addictions and Habits  (Read 9458 times)

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: Quitting Addictions and Habits
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2010, 09:15:51 pm »

I've begun simply destroying junk food instead of eating it. Because I can't tell my parents not to buy it but I can consume it in a different way. Yesterday I took a grape soda and used an electric airsoft gone to shoot the f*ck out of it. Cathartic on every level.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2010, 10:26:57 pm »

Wow. I have a couple of cats around my house that don't really belong to anyone.
So I just take the spare things that would be wasted anyway and give them that.
It ain't much but still something

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2010, 09:13:22 am »

I've begun simply destroying junk food instead of eating it. Because I can't tell my parents not to buy it but I can consume it in a different way. Yesterday I took a grape soda and used an electric airsoft gone to shoot the f*ck out of it. Cathartic on every level.

Doesn't that just make it a waste of money?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2010, 01:30:04 pm »

Because I can't tell my parents not to buy it
Why not? Express yourself!

Bought a packet of smokes today. The usual winter-Depression got a lot worse. Smoked 5 cigarettes today. This is not working. Again.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2010, 02:40:03 pm »

As a person who has no real vices, I find it difficult to properly sympathize with your struggle, but I wish you the best of luck nonetheless.

I take it you've already tried the gum/patches/other quitting type things?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2010, 02:53:34 pm »

95% of people who quit do it without those things (just saying)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2010, 03:10:39 pm »

Yeah, doing it without. It's no use to trade one addiction for another.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2010, 03:21:20 pm »

I don't know a great deal about the gums/patches, but wouldn't you rather be trading one addiction that's doing damage to your health for one that isn't?

Also, from how I understand it, you're gradually weened off with gradually weaker and weaker gums/patches.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2010, 07:39:23 pm »

Zironic - That is awesome! "I name you my nemesis, and from this day forth I shall destroy you wherever you appear!"

Siquo - Keep trying, man. I'm sure you're doing it for your family as much as anyone else. Letting yourself down is one thing; letting them down is another. Nonetheless, I (vaguely) realise how hard this can be and wish you all the best. You'll be a stronger man at the end of it.

JoshuaFH -We do sell patches at the pharmacy where I work, but I must say small numbers of people seem to use them. Much more people take the controlled drugs (wean off heroin and suchlike.) Besides, Siquo will feel more of a badass if he conquers this himself, and rightly so.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2010, 08:46:24 pm »

Bought a packet of smokes today. The usual winter-Depression got a lot worse. Smoked 5 cigarettes today. This is not working. Again.
Maybe things will go better in spring?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2010, 03:18:25 am »

Yeah probably, but that's just postponing it... AGAIN. I am PostPonerMan!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2010, 04:36:13 pm »

Relevant to this topic: I just uninstalled Diablo II, my greatest addiction for the past year (and the reason I deleted it. I dont get hooked that much on any other game lately). Oh woe, I am feeling the craves already.

I am trying to separate entertaining from computer use, or, barring that, at least the more addictive games. So I'm limiting it to long-term strategy games (I include DF in this category. I love messing around with megaprojects, but it's easier to stop)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dracor

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [CAN_LEARN] [BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2010, 11:09:02 am »

Bleh, nail biting. I chew them till they bleed as an idle thing; really need to stop that now. Of course, seems a bit trivial in comparison to the other things in this thread.

On the subject of quitting smoking, it's hellishly difficult. Siquo, you might try the "Alright, 5 cigs today, then 4 tomorrow... etc." that you tried (and succeeded I might add  ;) ) with the coffee.
'Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogroves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2010, 05:13:56 pm »

Yeah, I kinda should do that. The hard thing is a lot of people in my vicinity (work, gf) still smoke, and you automatically pick up their tempo.

I need to set a date for it again. Somewhere in the future. :P

And no, nailbiting is non-trivial, it's quite hard to stop that as well.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2010, 08:57:56 pm »

I've honestly developed a psychological dependence on the internet.

Same here. :(
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8