Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why are antmen/ratmen/etc. dying?  (Read 788 times)

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why are antmen/ratmen/etc. dying?
« on: December 01, 2009, 02:14:43 pm »

I have a fortress on a map with a chasm. There are lots of small caves near it, where antmen, ratmen, giant rats and other creatures dwell. I didn't intend to dig into those caves until I have a competent military. But I see that these creatures are dying, and occasionally miasma flows in the chasm. It doesn't really affect my gameplay, but I find it rather strange.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are antmen/ratmen/etc. dying?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 02:24:08 pm »

They often fight amongst themselves, I think. I've also seen cougars and wolves kill deer. At least that was my assumption as to what was going on, as I had no hunters.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 02:27:07 pm »

They're dying of old age - antmen and ratmen in particular only live 3-4 years, and they don't reproduce.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 02:57:07 pm »

So eventually there would be no more as chasms don't spawn new units?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 04:34:55 pm »

So eventually there would be no more as chasms don't spawn new units?

Yep. Although you can speed this process up by, say, diverting part of a river into the caverns on the edge of the chasm the antmen are using. Great times.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 07:26:19 pm »

I tend to mod the antmen and ratmen to have babehs

this way i can wall up the place until i want to have a bit of fun and slaughter them, once i'm done, i chuck a few more in, seal it up, and and wait
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.