Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: flat embark area?  (Read 5770 times)

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: flat embark area?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2009, 01:08:08 am »

le snip~

Tile set?

Yeah it's Mayday's DFG 21

Thought it was some sort of variation, didnt recognize some of the tiles.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2009, 02:04:24 am »

Flat fortress:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6594-snaketributes

I built up from flat ground to construct a very dwarven fortress, complete with magma, water, pumps, and randomly placed levers.

That is an incredible fortress. I especially like your bone-harvesting animal pit-o-doom-o-matic.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2009, 08:05:42 am »

Flat fortress:

I built up from flat ground to construct a very dwarven fortress, complete with magma, water, pumps, and randomly placed levers.

At the time you uploaded, it seems you had 7 fire imps just wandering your fortress. Did you mod them to be tameable or was this image taken before half your fortress was immolated?

I believe he modded them to be tameable and breed. I usually have no more than three, maybe 4 per magma pipe/pool, although in recent forts they have been absent for some reason.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2009, 09:07:24 am »

So if you set your elevation ranges to, say, 285-301, and then reduce the elevation variance, you can get lots of very small, very flat "mountains".
Reduce? I would have thought that increasing the variance would mix up the mountain and and non-mountain areas more, or does that do nothing but cause embarks to have the full range of z-levels? I usually limit mine to 295-301 and have high variance, and I don't remember seeing very many sites with half a dozen surface levels.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2009, 11:12:20 am »

Flat fortress:

At the time you uploaded, it seems you had 7 fire imps just wandering your fortress. Did you mod them to be tameable or was this image taken before half your fortress was immolated?

I believe he modded them to be tameable and breed. I usually have no more than three, maybe 4 per magma pipe/pool, although in recent forts they have been absent for some reason.

They can indeed now breed and also be tamed by the dungeon master. See my notes about the magma pit. Its a death trap.  :(

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2009, 11:50:31 am »

Interesting. I've gotten upwards of 9, but that was on a map with a magma pool and pipe, and all the magma creatures were imps.

Oh the joys of the DM. Never caught anything I needed him to tame, but he's a fun guy if you embark in a zone with a GCS or other awesome exotic animal.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 2 [3]