Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: flat embark area?  (Read 5766 times)

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: flat embark area?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 02:59:11 pm »

Here's my latest embark.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Almost totally flat, major river, magma, flux, bauxite, iron. No aquifer, no chasm/pit, no HFS, no underground water (but so many trees it'd just be annoying anyway). Just make sure all the civs you want are alive before embark if you have any mods (and if not change history seed). The world-gen params were designed (not by me) to give lots of magma and rivers without destroying all the flux.

And yea, lately I've been looking for flat embarks for the marginal FPS improvement.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 03:01:15 pm by piesquared »

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 03:42:38 pm »

It just so happens I have a world with a flat volcano. Completely flat with several ponds and lots of trees, however that is all there is. No other notable features except for the three layer thick aquifer. So if you want to do any open air excavations, prepare to loose your FPS. It is still possible to get to rock, on account of the diggable portions of stone next to the magma pipe.

If anyone is interested, I'll post the world gen and point out the spot.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

Naia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 06:07:37 pm »

I also prefer flat embark areas, and just like OP finding the right spot can take several hours.

Heres a location I liked. It's a tropical forest, whit a minor river running trough the corner.
It can be used for almost anything, and would make a good starting location for a new player. Metal and glass industry will be quite easy.

What you get

What you don't get

Worldseed

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 08:19:19 pm »

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 08:30:49 pm »

It looks to be mayday.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 10:41:00 pm »

I'm running a perfectly flat map, with magma pool and no little murky ponds except on the very upper right corner. It has a 1 z-level aquifer, but this is because I couldn't find a river without elevation changes. I get dromedary and large tigers and other stuff that I haven't paid attention to cause they don't cause problems.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Mattasmack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 11:11:00 pm »

I agree with the OP, but for me it's only because of the interface.  I find it's a huge PITA to keep track of incoming sieges or caravans (and my own dwarfs) when they're running up and down the mountainside and I can only see one z-level at a time.  When that changes I'll be happier about hilly terrain.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 12:48:10 am »

Most of my early forts were in pretty flat areas.  That's because I usually start in a heavily forested area away from mountains.  Deserts are also good flat places. 

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 02:53:26 am »

I agree with the OP, but for me it's only because of the interface.  I find it's a huge PITA to keep track of incoming sieges or caravans (and my own dwarfs) when they're running up and down the mountainside and I can only see one z-level at a time.  When that changes I'll be happier about hilly terrain.

This is exactly right, i find it annoying as hell trying to follow a dwarf or a siege when i have to constantly go up and down z levels

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 09:53:32 am »

Hey, anyone know how to get stuff like chasms, pits, HFS, etc. appearing in non-mountainous areas? I wanna see if I can find a human town and some HFS, so I can entertain the populace with the clowns.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 10:38:44 am »

You can't unless the humans conquer a mountain home or dark tower.  Humans build cities in hills and plains and not mountain tiles.  The HFS and chasms and such only appear on mountain tiles.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 11:18:15 am »

You can't.

Edit: whups, missed that there was a second page to this thread. And I can't delete the post. Oh, well.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 03:44:38 pm »

Flat fortress:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6594-snaketributes

I built up from flat ground to construct a very dwarven fortress, complete with magma, water, pumps, and randomly placed levers.
That is just beautiful. I'm in awe.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Naia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 11:20:50 pm »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2009, 12:06:27 am »

Flat fortress:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6594-snaketributes

I built up from flat ground to construct a very dwarven fortress, complete with magma, water, pumps, and randomly placed levers.

At the time you uploaded, it seems you had 7 fire imps just wandering your fortress. Did you mod them to be tameable or was this image taken before half your fortress was immolated?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 [2] 3