Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Creature stuck in midair.  (Read 2096 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creature stuck in midair.
« on: November 30, 2009, 08:46:52 pm »

So. There's this unconcious human crossbowman. He's airborne. He's been so for years. How he got there, I don't know. That's not the question.

The real question is, how do I knock him out the sky to loot him?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creature stuck in midair.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 08:52:48 pm »

Silly question, but...

Whats stopping you building a platform up to the human, building a ledge to him, and just accessing him that way?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 09:03:04 pm »

Because that doesen't work. He's actually on ground level, just airborne. I built a wall next to him, he was under it. I built a wall ON him, and nothing happened to it. I dug under him, and nothing happened, except the hole collected a crossbow bolt from a subsequent siege.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 09:03:51 pm »

The fact that creatures that are stuck in midair basically don't exist, digitCruncher.

To my knowledge the only way to bring him down is to use a utility program that can toggle the "unit is airborne" flag.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 09:04:17 pm »

Creatures airborne are in stasis and can't be affected in any way.  You need Dwarf Companion to get him unstuck.  Deselect the 'projectile' bit.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 09:05:46 pm »

Bah.

Too much effort for any possible gain. Can't I just cause a cave-in to unstick him?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 09:07:25 pm »

No.  Airborne creatures are immune to cave-ins, magma, or anything else.  As far as I know Dwarf Companion is the only way to unstick him.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 10:47:01 pm »

Build a shrine to him.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 10:48:44 pm »

You could try to atom smash him?
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 12:15:28 am »

For the record, this bug happens whenever you save while a creature is airborn.

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 02:00:43 am »

For the record, this bug happens whenever you save while a creature is airborn.

Are you sure about that? Toady has that bug marked as not reproducible. I suspect that the ability to reliably reproduce it would be useful.

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 06:58:48 am »

It happened to me when I saved when a dwarf was airborne from being beaten up by goblins.

Do you use Dwarf Companion? If so, show all creatures (possibly even dead ones, if the human somehow dies), then click the human in question and look at the flags. One of them should be 0x1.4, which should be checked for airborne things. Uncheck it, and it'll probably unstick the human. Depending on his condition, you might have to dispose of him in another way, or he could be dead already (I know my airborne dwarf healed all minor injuries but still had mangled arms and neck when I waited before fixing her).

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 10:49:40 am »

Are you sure about that? Toady has that bug marked as not reproducible. I suspect that the ability to reliably reproduce it would be useful.
Interesting.  Seems like Toady couldn't get it to reproduce from falling entities; maybe it only applies to 'propelled' creatures.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 10:51:06 am »

Well, he LOOKS to have been propelled. This fort is a rescued community fort, so I think he must've been airborne when the spring autosave hit for someone's turn ending.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 11:25:21 am »

Both of the times I've had it happen it was an enemy propelled by a mace/hammerdwarf
Pages: [1] 2