Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: BOTG VII OOC Thread: The map is up, claim your place!  (Read 9389 times)

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
BOTG VII OOC Thread: The map is up, claim your place!
« on: November 30, 2009, 06:52:30 pm »

BOTG VII Rp Thread

Yep that title is correct, another Botg is starting up.

The Map is now available. Claim your starting locations while you can!

This game will be a bit different in that only a limited amount of players will be allowed, which will mostly be those who have played BOTG in the past. This is to ensure that rp stays up to par and to make sure that fewer players drop out.

To allow others to at least experience BOTG anyone may become an adventurer or a party of adventurers to play on the board. These can be pulled from any race on the board, or you can be a rogue god or demon that lacks the power to play with the big guys up top.

First off is the rules which are based on BOTG VI rules which were Akroma's.

Quote from: Akroma
Battle of the Gods is a forum roleplay-game, in which each player takes the role of one (or several) divine (or demonic) entities. These entities are gathered around a gameboard (the world) and guide their believers to whatever time may bring, trying to accomplish whatever goal the god or their believers have in mind. The player also takes controle over a civilisation that can consist of one or more races.
The focus of this game is diplomacy, warfare and of course the epicness that takes place when the interests of several gods clash.

Unlike game like Evolution, Lords of Creation or Age of restauration, all of which are quite popular, this game tries to avoid numbers and dicerolls whenever possible.
There are no units for labour, no number of soldiers, no special resources that need to be gathered, they are abstracted away and lie in the conscience of the respective players.

Turns:

Each turn lasts 1 day in the real world, in which 6 months pass in the game. Within this time the player is required to submit their turn, since this round will be mostly veteran players I am hoping this will not be an issue.

Lists like this...

building that and that : 1/5
training this and this: 2/3

... will actually cause you're race to have a negative impact this turn and if continued could cause your race to either die out or become enslaved. Botg is about the storytelling and rp and not the little mechanics behind it.

Movement:

Will be 2-4 spaces per turn since the game board will be rather small. It should be fairly obvious if two, thee or four spaces will be traveled depending on the terrain... obviously if you are traveling over a mountain it may take some time to get over it.

Encounters:

This occurs whenever more than one player is in the same tile on the map. When this occurs the players must talk over irc or pm each other to act out the event. Don't complain about pm's being to slow since you don't need to act out everything, a rough sketch of what you are doing should suffice when pming.

Military encounters now I expect to run somewhat smoothly since veteran players will be playing this round. If an agreement can't be made I will make the final desicion to keep the turn moving. In this event all battle participants will send me a pm of there action and I will then act out the battle. The better the rp the more likely the battle will favor you, however rp is not a deciding factor in battle.

Heroes:

Players may have important individuals that are above the norm. These characters will most likely be the center of role-play but that is up to the player. Keep in mind while these characters may have some god-given abilities, like they may not die naturally, but anything on the game-board may die. This means if your god itself appears on the board it can die... albeit at a great cost but it can die.

DI or Divine Intervention

Gods are sitting around a game board meddling with the game, hint BOTG = Battle of the Gods. So of course Divine Intervention is possible, however over using the power makes DI lose its novelty and corrodes the rp of the game. Whether through dreams or appearing before his followers the gods will be influencing things one way or another.

So for the sake of rp Major DI's will have to be approved through me, a good rp reason will help the DI in being approved.

An example of a Major DI would be your god summoning a comet or raining fire down on enemy soldiers.

The Map:

|~~~~~~~~~.|⌠≈≈≈⌠⌠⌠|⌠⌠♣♣♣♣♣♣⌂⌂▲^▲
|~~~~~~~~~.└──────┬┘....♣♣♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲
|~~~~~~~~~....⌠⌠⌠⌠|....┌──────○⌂⌂
|~~~~~~~~~~......≈|⌠⌠..|...♣♣♣♣⌂♣
|~~~~~~~~~~......≈|≈⌠┌─┘....~~♣♣
|⌂⌂⌂~~~~~~........└─┬┘......~~~~~
|⌂⌂⌂⌂~..~~~.........|.......~~~~~
|▲▲▲⌂⌂..............|.......~~~~~
|▲^▲⌂⌂..............|........~.~~
|▲▲▲○────┐.......♠♠♠└──○⌂⌂.......
|▲▲▲▲⌂⌂..└───┐♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠▲▲▲⌂⌂..≈≈≈
|⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂⌂⌂...♠|♠♠♠♠♠♠♠⌂⌂▲^▲⌂⌂.≈≈≈≈

Code: [Select]
^ mountain peak/volcano
▲ mountain
⌂ rocky hills
. plains and grassy hills
~ deserts and sandy dunes
♣ forest
♠ rain forest
╞ dead/burnt forest
○ river source
└─┬┘┌┐ river
≈ water
█ glacier
⌠ swamp
● tundra

░ storm (dependant on terrain type)
═╦╝ tunnel or road
╫ bridge
♥ special place
æ ruins

Also each tile is huge, it is hard to imagine an entire city taking up a whole tile. A tile is enough for a single city but small enough for two armies to see each other. It is also assumed that smaller villages may dot the territory around the main city or center of power.

Now onto the application process.

Symbol:
A symbol for your cities and armies. They are normally letters. Uppercase for the cities and Lowercase for armies.

Your God
Who is your god, what's he like, describe him/her in a few lines

Your Race:
A physical description of course, what your people are like, etc.

Your civ may have more than one race in it.

Your Civ:

As previously mentioned Civ and race are different things. A civ like the human race has many different facets to it.

A description of your military is also preferred if you have one.

Your Heroes:
Their names, back story, and such...

Your Cities:

When the map is up and running you simply claim a spot where your civ will start off. They can appear with an already built city or none at all, it is up to how you want to Rp the build up. However don't abuse this.

Magic:

You may or may not have it. If you do you may have a different system than other players. Don't complain about someone else's use of magic because it doesn't agree with your system, Magic is deep and mystical and hard to understand how it works.

That about sums it up, if yall see something odd let me know. ^_^

Irc:If you don't already know it you can pm me and I'll let you know

Current Map:

|~~~~~~~~~.|⌠≈≈≈⌠⌠⌠|⌠⌠♣♣♣♣♣♣⌂⌂▲^▲
|~~~~~~~~~.└──────┬┘....♣♣♣f⌂⌂▲▲▲
|~~~~~~~~~....⌠⌠⌠⌠|....┌──────○⌂⌂
|~~~~~Ψ~~~~......≈|⌠⌠..|T♣s♣♣♣♣⌂♣
|~~~~~~~~~~......≈|≈⌠┌─┘♣♣..~~♣♣v
|⌂⌂⌂~~~~~~........└─┬┘......~Å~~~
|⌂⌂⌂⌂~..~~~.........|.......~~~~~
|▲▲▲⌂⌂..............|.......~~~~~
|▲^▲⌂⌂..............|........~.~~
|▲▲▲○────┐.......♠♠♠└──○⌂⌂.......
|▲▲▲▲⌂⌂..└───┐♠♠♠♠♠R♠♠♠▲▲▲⌂⌂..≈≈≈
|⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂⌂⌂...t|♠♠♠♠♠♠♠⌂⌂▲^▲⌂⌂.≈≈≈≈

Player Races:

R:Mission0: Ruleen
T:Emperor_Jonathon: Suin
Ψ:Wimdit: SandRiders
Å:Nhip: Akkads

Adventurers:
f:Flintus10: Shen
s:Rooster: Sfidi
v:Virex: Vix

will update soon...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:37:19 pm by mission0 »
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: BOTG VII OOC Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 07:32:03 pm »

Damn, i will not be able to join this one, atleast not for weeks and probably not ever untill it ends. :'(
I would REALLY have wanted to, I love the BotGs and I feel horible at missing one...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 08:23:55 pm »

Symbol:
City: R
Armies: r

Your God:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Your Race:

Your Civ:

Your Heroes:

Your Cities:

Waiting for map of course...

Magic:

*wipes forehead*
Ok I know that this is a wall of text without the spoilers but should prove to be an interesting read.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:43:49 pm by mission0 »

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 10:01:38 pm »

Hey hey hey, a day?

No way.

Extend it to two days at least, 3 preferably. Some days I don't get any chance to get on a computer at all.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 10:05:22 pm »

Hey hey hey, a day?

No way.

Extend it to two days at least, 3 preferably. Some days I don't get any chance to get on a computer at all.

I thought it may be a bit short as well. 3 days was what I had intended originally, However after talking with some others I decided on 1. Since I'm looking for those who have played botg before I'm willing to extend it to two if others agree. If someone else also asks for three though I will change it to that.

For now why not get a race set up just in case ;)

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 10:06:32 pm »

I'll be reusing, perhaps my favourite race, the Suin.

SYMBOL IS T,t
The Suin.
Spoiler: Diety (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Race (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Civ (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Magic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Heroes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:59:11 am by Emperor_Jonathan »

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 10:27:07 pm »

Sounds good, hope to see you in the game then if you do join.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 11:01:59 pm »

Scrap that.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 02:26:01 am by Halmie »
Meh.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 11:11:59 pm »

I'm new but this is too tempting. I have made my civ quite weak so I won't be one of the big players.

Symbol:K
Your God:
Your Race:
Your Civ:
Your Heroes:
Your Cities:
Magic:

EDIT: I'm reading through BotG V so I can keep up with everyone else.

I can't guarantee you a spot since you aren't a veteran but if it looks like others may not jump in I'll add you in.

Also I see where you are going with your race but you may want to make them a bit stronger. Being a major player or trying to is always a good thing just as long as the rp is good.

If nothing else you can jump in as an adventurer.
Edit: I'm offering adventurer because this allows newer players to come into the game and get the feel of the rp. It also allows me to judge as to how active a person is going to be without affecting the overall game greatly. If as an adventurer you excel something could happen to make things more interesting ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 11:22:09 pm by mission0 »

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 11:20:44 pm »

I sorta aimed it at being an adventurer with a few weak followers trying to develop into a proper civilisation.
Meh.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 11:30:00 pm »

I sorta aimed it at being an adventurer with a few weak followers trying to develop into a proper civilisation.

Sorta like a demi-god trying to rise up, not really a civ with a city though. I'll have to think on that a bit.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 03:12:14 am »

Armok, eventhough the posts sais "veteran" the better word would be "reliable"

we want players that actually play the game instead of just talking about it

by popular vote of the regulars, you are not allowed in this round

as for Halmie, if you want to know about a proper botg, then read botg IV
it was by far the most successful one up till now

botgV was short lived, due to experimental rules

as for an extended turn-length, I am not sure here
it might be nice to give the busier people some time to get their posts in, but people should still try their best to post all their stuff on the first day, so that the turn can be changed
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 03:19:03 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 03:33:46 am »

I might join as an adventurer (Sort of) if you lengthen the turns by at least one day.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 05:50:42 am »

SCRATCH THAT IM GOOD UNTIL THE END OF JANUARY
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 06:14:13 am by Emperor_Jonathan »

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 05:56:01 am »

I'll join but as an adventurer or group of adventurers I will write up later.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6