Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: breeding  (Read 2895 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: breeding
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 11:48:57 am »

thanks, I think they spawn on the map I am on (though it says they are all dead (hopefully they will come back)
-----------------------------------
are GCS tamable/breed-able?
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 12:14:45 pm »

Cave Crocodiles are resident and non-migratory, so if they're all dead you're not getting any more.

GCS are tamable, but don't breed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 09:33:48 pm »

Cave Crocodiles are resident and non-migratory, so if they're all dead you're not getting any more.

Mod the GCS to be able to breed, then your good ^^.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 07:45:25 am »

GCS are tamable once you get the DM. Before that, they just look at your dwarves like chicken nuggets.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 08:07:23 am »

GCS are tamable once you get the DM. Before that, they just look at your dwarves like chicken nuggets.

That's probably common knowledge, but in case you wanted to cut the DM out of the loop, you can replace their PET_EXOTIC tag with the PET one.

Also, I hope everyone who wants to tame GCS and still use their silk is aware of the fact that you will need to aggravate them by showing them goblins or something. Otherwise, they won't produce silk.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 03:54:34 pm »

Look fine to me, put gobbo there, make the spider spit some silk then release spider :D and chain him back after
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 04:06:24 pm »

But even if GCS become able to breed, will you ever find more than one at a time? Gotta be very lucky. If you are that lucky. You can start a silk farm which also is a breeding program. And a weapon.

Fast web shooting machine-guns, anyone?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 08:20:56 pm »

But even if GCS become able to breed, will you ever find more than one at a time? Gotta be very lucky. If you are that lucky. You can start a silk farm which also is a breeding program. And a weapon.

Fast web shooting machine-guns, anyone?
You can mod them further to make them breed more or appear more...

Yould be able to permanantly hold seiges in place and fire at them with marksdwarves :D.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 01:59:22 pm »

If I toss hostile invaders (beak dogs and goblins) into a pit, will they breed as well?
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 02:18:18 pm »

If I toss hostile invaders (beak dogs and goblins) into a pit, will they breed as well?
The goblins will not.  Don't know about the beak dogs, I've never seen them actually show up in a siege.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 02:58:28 pm »

I hear there is a trick that if you chain your animals up in a stairwell, their newborn offspring will fall to their doom upon birth. Then they can be collected, butchered and tanned automatically.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 03:08:57 pm »

I hear there is a trick that if you chain your animals up in a stairwell, their newborn offspring will fall to their doom upon birth. Then they can be collected, butchered and tanned automatically.
Tested this, doesn't work.  The newborn is born standing on the stairs.

I have created an automated wild animal breeding/butchering machine, but it involves a lot of pressure plates, hatches, and doors.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 03:51:41 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-17411-thepit

Thats my solution.

Each time you need more corpses, you pull a lever. 1/3rd of the animals will then plummet to their dooms. The remaining 2/3rd will then quickly breed to replenish the numbers.

Note that if the animals are tame they cannot be butchered, but the bones can still be used.

If the animals are wild the corpses and all of the giblets can be butchered. This will all be done automatically.

You will likely need a separate pit for each species of wild animals, but tame ones can all be thrown into the same pit.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 10:51:18 pm »

I made a mini vermin pet arena, i drop a few tamed cave spider in a pit and then i drop some random vermin i catch :) Thats how i get rid of extra meat i dont use i place them in vermin trap, Funny to see a small spider rippnig away all kind of vermin.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 11:46:29 pm »

I usually chain my breeding pairs and put the offspring in cages
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.
Pages: 1 [2] 3