Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War dog fried by a trap?  (Read 367 times)

Kraegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War dog fried by a trap?
« on: November 30, 2009, 05:23:46 pm »

So I set up a gate in my walls where I have War dogs as guards.  It looks like this:

===0   0===
  |DCCCD
  |XXXXX   
  |XXXXX
  ============0

==0, |   - Wall
D   - Dog
C   - Cage Trap
X   - Stone Trap

So I had a Kobold thief try to come through the gate, the dogs detected him and he promptly got caught in a cage trap.  I set the cage to dump at my garbage dump which is next to a pit of lava (well 1 z-level above actually).  So someone grabbed the cage and went and chucked it off the side into the lava.  A couple seconds later I get a message that my War Dog was kill by a trap.

Now here is the wierd thing, the dog was on fire, the message I got in announcements said that he was struck down by a trap.  I don't have any traps that would burn anything?

Just wondering if anyone knows what the hell happened to my dog :)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: War dog fried by a trap?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 05:29:06 pm »

When you capture something in a cage trap and then throw said cage into magma, its burning contents teleport to the location of the trap, for some reason. It's a known bug - in this case, the burning items set your war dog on fire, and he it unconscious on top of the trap, causing it to trigger.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Kraegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War dog fried by a trap?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 05:38:44 pm »

Ahh good to know.  I'll take em out of the cage next time.  Thanks!