Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dorfs truly mystify me sometimes...  (Read 1111 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Dorfs truly mystify me sometimes...
« on: November 30, 2009, 03:56:06 pm »

I have this fantastic dining hall built, with enough seating and tables for every single Dorf to have a place to eat (a table and a chair apiece).  And they STILL insist on walking into the stockpile, sitting down on the cold chalk floor, and eating their meal right there.  It's not as though the tables are forbidden.  They've all been set as dining halls, the chairs are all unassigned, and I've seen Dorfs occasionally (sadly only VERY occasionally) go and sit down to eat their meals there.  So what gives?  Is it just that 90% of my fort has a preference for being uncomfortable while eating their lunch?
Sanity is for the weak.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfs truly mystify me sometimes...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 05:05:29 pm »

You've assigned all the tables as dining halls? You should be able to assign just one, and make it cover the entire area.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 05:23:18 pm »

They'll usually carry their meals back to tables with chairs even if there isn't a outlaid dining room.  I know, because I leave tables unassigned all the time to cut down on parties.

What's probably wrong is the tables and chairs are too far from the food stockpile.  To get my dwarves to eat in a civilized manner, I put the stockpile right under the dining room with plenty of stairs to get between them.  And even then I'd occasionally catch a dwarf snacking in the pantry.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 06:51:45 pm »

The food stockpile is less than 50 steps away.  I was not aware that you could assign a single table in a room as a dining hall and have the benefits reflect onto all tables in the vicinity, though.  And there are no stray chairs in my fortresses.  They're always paired with a table.
Sanity is for the weak.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 08:05:31 pm »

Yeah, the problem is probably that you have so many overlapping dining halls. Remove that designation from all but one of them and they should start eating there.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 08:07:30 pm »

That does seem to work, indeed.  And as an added bonus, they're all now designated as "royal" dining facilities instead of just "great".  Thanks muchly.
Sanity is for the weak.

roguester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 08:46:34 pm »

They'll usually carry their meals back to tables with chairs even if there isn't a outlaid dining room.  I know, because I leave tables unassigned all the time to cut down on parties.
You can designate the dining room. You won't get parties unless the dining room is set as a meeting hall as well. I have no meeting halls in my forts and I never have parties.

Gertack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 12:06:04 am »

You don't get parties if you don't let them idle, either.

Get back to work! /cracks whip