Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flying magma arc.  (Read 3036 times)

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flying magma arc.
« on: November 30, 2009, 12:23:58 pm »

Now i've just gotten into dwarf fortress a week ago, and I'm still learning a lot but I've got the basics down. I've been reading a lot on the forums about pumps, and magma, and what kinds of problems magma solves (though I have not yet encountered it since my fortress of Warspoon is on the beach).

I was wondering...
(please ask me if this sounds confusing)

If you construct a water pump that goes high enough (highest z level) and showers water down on to a

high pressure magma pump shooting through the downpour of water
would it create a solid magma (obsidian?) arc?

Terra-forming! o_ O

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flying magma arc.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 12:46:14 pm »

Actually, you'd get a lot of dropping rocks. Especially since magma doesen't flow like water.

Drop the magma into a jet of water, however, and you have a fairly good trap.
Well. As long as you don't dig extensively into the first Z-level like I tend to.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 12:46:20 pm »

I'd say this would probably just create a pile of obsidian at the bottom.

Pressure in DF is completely unlike pressure in real life - it merely indicates the level to which liquids may rise. Your magma pump would simply cause cubes of magma teleport to their exit tile, giving it no momentum whatsoever - they'd fall straight down.

Where magma and water intersect, obsidian is created, so you'd basically turn a waterfall into a rockfall.
The fish are watching.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 01:00:56 pm »

Not that that's not awesome
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:29:42 pm »

Not that that's not awesome
:-X
I like the falling steam+magma rock dropper though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 01:46:47 pm »

Note that the dropped rocks won't damage anything they fall on either.  Yeah, it sucks.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 02:22:52 pm »

They don't mean rocks, they mean 'natural' rock walls.

That most certainly will kill and maim things.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 03:38:05 pm »

Oh damn, that's right.  I forgot about that.  Yeah, it'll hurt.

zecro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 08:09:13 pm »

This isn't exactly related to a magma arc, but it's along those lines.

Say I built half my fort underground, and want to build up, except I want to make a tower of obsidian which I will then carve.

I would be pumping magma and water, obviously, and making a pool of one inside a cast and then dropping the other liquid into the pool.

What's better, dropping the magma into water, or dropping the water onto magma? And should I cast the tower layer-by-layer or just go at it once? If I go at it at once, would the obsidian walls that fall through the water or magma cause a cave-in on the underground levels of the tower?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 08:22:15 pm »

Each time water will touch a new magma tile a *cave-in* will occur wich mean a lot of interuption, im not sure you want a trap like that, i would mean to many cave-in event as the new natural rock obsidian fall down as soon they are create
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 08:33:06 pm »

Great way to frame-by-frame destruction though.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 01:48:47 pm »

Won't the obsidian walls eventually stack up high enough to get in the way of the water/magma?
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 02:23:00 pm »

This isn't exactly related to a magma arc, but it's along those lines.

Say I built half my fort underground, and want to build up, except I want to make a tower of obsidian which I will then carve.

I would be pumping magma and water, obviously, and making a pool of one inside a cast and then dropping the other liquid into the pool.

What's better, dropping the magma into water, or dropping the water onto magma? And should I cast the tower layer-by-layer or just go at it once? If I go at it at once, would the obsidian walls that fall through the water or magma cause a cave-in on the underground levels of the tower?

The best way is to put down a layer of magma, then cover it with water such that the magma gets turned into obsidian with a layer of water on top, then pour on the magma, forming another layer, and repeat.

Step 1:
|                      |
|                      |
|                      |
|                      |
|~~~~~~~~~~|
------------------

Step 2:
|                      |
|                      |
|                      |
|~~~~~~~~~~|
|###########|
------------------

Step 3:
|                      |
|                      |
|~~~~~~~~~~|
|###########|
|###########|
------------------
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 02:54:51 pm »

Won't the obsidian walls eventually stack up high enough to get in the way of the water/magma?

Eventually yes
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 04:25:10 pm »

Screw armies, Toady should totally work on the Flying Magma Development Arc. ;)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: [1] 2