Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fallback words  (Read 2079 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Fallback words
« on: November 30, 2009, 12:06:11 pm »

I frequently use the following words: potato, tomato, incest, incestuous tomatoes, potatotomato, etc. I don't know why. It's probably because of the way they sound. Tomato... potatoeee.... tohmaytooo... incest... innnnnceeeesst. Which reminds me about how I hate going to temples because I always end up accidentally saying "incest" instead of "incense". But anyway, whenever my mind hits a stumbling block, it usually ends up filling it with one of those words. That's why whenever people ask me for examples, it's really hard to restrain saying a tomato, potato, or incestuous allegory. No, I'm not mentally screwed in the head.

I know quite a few stand up comedians have these fall back words. Eddie Izzard uses jam and monkeys all the time. Billy Connolly fills the mental void with liberal use of "fuck".

In any case, do you guys have words that you use very frequently as creativity fillers? I'm not talking things like... "uhhh...." or "like..." or "you know...". I mean actual words that actually convey meaning.

Also, whenever I blank out, the first thing that comes to my head is always, "Fwoosh! Missile launched!". It's been like that since I was 12 years old. I have no clue why either. Can't change it too. It's always the first thing that comes to my head whenever it's not actually thinking of anything. No, I'm not mentally defective.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Fallback words
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 12:16:09 pm »

When I'm writing something and I'm at a loss for an adjective, I always go with horrid or nightmarish, even if those don't describe what I"m talking about.
Shoes...

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 12:22:58 pm »

Shazbot and flamingo.

Yup...

The Willow Wisp

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably not a tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 12:35:14 pm »

I fill the void with either "piss", "Shrinky Dinks", "Cthulhu", or "Super King Big Nuts".  Three of these came from excessive watching of Titan Maximum.
The reason for Time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 03:11:22 pm »

Whenever I'm making a list, no matter what it is a list of, I can't help but think "olives". I mean, I like olives and all, but not THAT much!

Sometimes I type out "olives" just to get it down so I can get past it and think about other things that should go on the list.

Also when I pee I find myself calculating THAC0.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 03:41:14 pm »

When I'm writing an essay for whatever I sometimes look back and realize what the hell did I right?  Because I do not remember ever writing that.

Ho ho ho.

Oh, a word I use a lot for fall back?

I think I have one, but I don't remember...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 03:43:19 pm by ToonyMan »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 05:02:09 pm »

Oh goodness yes. Whenever I'm trying to use a non-specific name, it's always Craig and Susan. I can't think of verbs besides fire and impede. My papers I write end up horrible.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 05:06:33 pm »

I use the word "Essentially" and other such nonspecific adverbs all the goddamned time.  And "God Damn" all the goddamned time.  I like to say "yeah" a lot, but it usually gets grunted out as just a committal noise.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 05:08:51 pm »

Noticing in some of my posts. I usually fall back with grammatical phrases.

For example:
For (example, instance)
Usually
(insert odds here) likely
because
The notorious "Whatever"
mild cursing which masks more potent cursing (when speaking, it's a more intense case. I pretty much never curse in front of anyone; even people I am merely associated with, and especially strangers. Hell, even in confrontation, I resist cursing)
And on that note, "Heck/Hell, (statement)"
Simply put (or phrases to that effect)

To put it this way; my fallbacks are anything that makes me sound smarter. Even stupid things.

In regards to names. The best I'll remember is a title (like forum names), real names, I don't even bother learning; my memory in that area is short term at the most. If anything, name memory is based on how well I know someone, or how long I've known them.

And as for the GD curse. Being Catholic; I take offense to the term, and am not willing at all to say it/fall back to it. Yet, sci-fi slang versions like Firefly's term "Gorram" is a slightly different case. In context, it's still rather offensive; however, as minor justification, not many people are familiar with the term; and it's TV slang. I guess, the only reason I accept that more than the actual term is that it's from a TV show, rather than being a full-on curse (highest degree, while at that). Excuse my "zealotry" in regards to that. Just seeing GD made me think of making that known.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 06:33:45 pm by Itnetlolor »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 05:22:35 pm »

Makes me think of Fonzie.
Originally, all of his "noises" were written by the authors as "fuck"
but censorship prevailed, and you can now look back upon his "eyyy" 's with fond regard.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 09:19:25 pm »

I don't really have any verbal ticks other than 'So'.

My Korean students have started to mimic it back to me every so often now.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 09:22:33 pm »

'Inconceivable!'

Okay not really.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 09:29:37 pm »

incest,

What are you, a goblin?  :P

Well, I tend to use "well" fairly often.  Of course, I also use "of course" as a linking phrase, or "mind", as I like to qualify my statemens a lot.  And "yes" I add to the end of a sentence sometimes to confirm something, yes.  My verbal tics tend to be grammatical (being loose with word order to emphasise words and the like) more often, though.

(I've also in writing a bit of an odd tendancy to shorten names of those I'm familiar with to something silly, as long as we're on the subject of names.  ;D)
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 10:09:26 pm »

I use "Alright" and "Yeah"... Don't talk to much to know any more then that... though "Alright" annoys my GF so I need to stop it.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 05:48:50 am »

When explaining I use basically a lot.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.
Pages: [1] 2