Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: When is a text file, not a text file? When it's a text file!  (Read 2142 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: When is a text file, not a text file? When it's a text file!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 04:47:12 pm »

I had vista on my new computer for a few months, it was ok, but then it was a brand new quad core so I would not notice as much slowness as a lot of other computers would. But I switched to win 7 last weekend and I must say, much, much better than vista.

However, I installed ubuntu the same day. Its also pretty sweet, firefox in ubuntu is a lot more responsive than in any version of windows (xp, vista or 7). Both have about the same startup time (under a minute, including a 1 second delay to pass through express gate and a couple seconds to select from GRUB. Still exploring both, but I am liking them.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 08:41:58 pm »

On the somewhat-unbiased-somewhat-unnecessary front, I, a Mac user, have not tried nor am willing to pass judgment on 7.  A few friends of mine have complained that they liked the OS better when it was in beta.  OP's problems sound incredibly annoying.

I'm honestly surprised he's having the problem at all; like I said, Notepad should detect encoding upon opening a file and allow you to select which encoding to use when you save it, so I have to wonder if it wasn't mostly user error at fault here.

My issue was that when I created a new file (not opening an existing file), the default encoding it saved to wasn't compatible with dwarf fortress.  So every time I want to add a new file to the raw's directory, I need to duplicate an old file, rename it, and go about from there, rather than just open up notepad and save a new file (It's unlikely I'll remember which encoding scheme to use).  I figured I'd make mention of it, encase anyone had a similar problem in the future.
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 09:15:00 pm »

Or, you could pick a different encoding when you go to save the file. notepad in windows 7 has options for ANSI, unicode, unicode big endian and UTF-8 on its save dialog..
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 12:56:14 am »

He's probably creating the new file using an Explorer context menu (creating it with default encoding of some kind), opening it, editing it, and just clicking "save" instead of using the dialog box to change the encoding.

I'm sure all the files DF uses are in the same encoding scheme, or should be. Probably ANSI.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 11:37:06 am »

I had good experiences with WinEdt. But that was back in the days when I used...
*krackaBOOM*
WINDOWS ME

Is it appropriate that I pictured you in a high tower, on the outskirts of civilization, pressing the laws of decency and trying to create your own demonic abominations?
*fangirl squeee!* ...what are "laws of decency"?

Is "Windows ME" a killing-word?  Does it make fire rain from the skies, and seas boil?  Are those who are struck blind upon gazing at it the lucky ones?

anyway, ME was created by basically increasing 98's requirements, removing nice things(DOSmode), and a new host of bugs. so, it was, as near as I can tell, the version of windows LEAST compatible with anything.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 02:43:49 pm »

It was also unreliable as hell.

But was that better or worse than Microsoft Bob? Hrrrm.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 06:24:32 pm »

It was also unreliable as hell.

But was that better or worse than Microsoft Bob? Hrrrm.
I think you're thinking of Microsoft YOU.  Bob wasn't really much changed from its predecessor, Microsoft Steve, and that was basically Microsoft Joe with less RAM requirements.  Doesn't really compete even with Richard in terms of how bad it is.
I'd have to say ME is worse than YOU, personally.  It's not YOU, it's ME, see?

Okay, enough of that from me.  I haven't used ME before, at least not within my memory.  How old is it?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 06:33:46 pm »

9Y: ME stands for Mega Excruciatingokay not that bad. Millennium Edition.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 06:34:12 pm »

Windows ME is from 2000.

It introduced some new features from Windows 2000, but suffered from an awful combination of still running on top of DOS, not really allowing you to USE real-mode DOS, and generally being a piece of junk that only lasted a year or so.

Microsoft Bob was a product from 1995 that basically just acted as a Windows shell/interface replacement for Windows 3.1/95.

It was a horrible, horrible failure.
http://www.d2ca.org/ms-bob-sign-in.html
Silly article about it there.

Best part: If you continued entering the wrong password for your account, it just asked you for a new one. Think about that!
Pages: 1 [2]